Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
Welcome To Ask The Trades!
Mar 28th, 2024, 11:50pm
Quote: Earth first! We can strip-mine the other planets later.

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Ceramic Tiles (Read 12141 times)
Little_Miss_DIY

"Many hands make light
work"

Total Thanks: 0
For This Post: 0

Ceramic Tiles
Apr 9th, 2004, 2:42am

Hi,

I've almost put the final touches to my new bathroom but can't work out how to attach toilet roll holder to ceramic tiles!

Should I use the grouting as a guide line to drill into?

I'll be absolutely gutted if I damage the tiles  Shocked

Thank User For This Post  
IP Logged

HM

Chief Turd Polisher

Re: Ceramic Tiles
Reply #1 - Apr 9th, 2004, 6:26am

[quote author=Little_Miss_DIY  link=1081474968/0#0 date=1081474968]Should I use the grouting as a guide line to drill into? [/quote]

No. If you attempt to drill in the grout lines you are likely to cause a situation where the drill bit will snatch against the edge of a tile, and that could cause the tile to get broken.

Drill holes in ceramic tiles somewhere away from the tile edge where possible.

You need to buy a special ceramic tile bit, which is a bit like a pointy little spear - this has a very sharp cutting angle (unlike regular drill bits which are a shallow cutting angle). The sharp point on the bit helps it to hold to a given point rather than slip across the surface of the tile. You can put a piece of tape on the tile to help here, though I haven't found it necessary myself.

Drill slowly until the tile bit is thru the tile, then switch to a regular masonry bit to dig the hole for the rawlplug.

Quote:
I'll be absolutely gutted if I damage the tiles  Shocked

You will have to damage the tile to put a hole into it. But I know what you mean Smiley

Andrew

If you aren't always sure of the right answer don't take up a career in the bomb squad
Thank User For This Post  
IP Logged

engineer1958
Reply #2 - Apr 9th, 2004, 10:03am

Handy,

Might be worth adding that when using the masonry drill bit DONT use the hammer action on the drill or else tile will break     Sad

Thank User For This Post  
IP Logged

HM

Chief Turd Polisher

Reply #3 - Apr 9th, 2004, 3:49pm

[quote author=engineer1958  link=1081474968/0#2 date=1081501401]Might be worth adding that when using the masonry drill bit DONT use the hammer action on the drill or else tile will break     Sad [/quote]

True - thanks for reminding me/us.

Drilling tiles is typically a gentle process - the drill bit rubs away at the tile rather than attacks it like a regular masonry hole. Regular tiles for kitchens and bathrooms bought in the sheds (is that word banned yet???) are pretty soft stuff for tile drills and go thru in a matter of seconds. Not necessarily so for other types of tiles for floors etc.

Andrew

If you aren't always sure of the right answer don't take up a career in the bomb squad
Thank User For This Post  
IP Logged

ColG
Reply #4 - Apr 9th, 2004, 6:32pm

We're in DIY land here so you can talk about B&Q, Wickes, Focus, Homebase as much as you like - just don't mention SCREWFIX  Grin

Col

Thank User For This Post  
IP Logged

jmcbuilder
Trade Member

Trade: Not Specified

Reply #5 - Apr 9th, 2004, 7:09pm

Screwfix mmmmm Lips Sealed

Thank User For This Post  
IP Logged

Dewy
Reply #6 - Apr 9th, 2004, 7:41pm

I bought a set of negative rake drills that can drill into wood, metal, masonry, tiles & glass.
To drill into ceramic tiles or glass, you hand turn them backwards & forwards gently to break the glaze then drill slowly.
It's one of the few times the old hand drills are useful.
I bought another set of similar but cheaper drills & returned them for a refund because the first use into concrete took the edge off completely.

Thank User For This Post  
IP Logged

Little_Miss_DIY

"Many hands make light
work"

Reply #7 - Apr 10th, 2004, 1:22am

Roll Eyes

Thanks everyone for your advice, its certainly opened my eyes.

Managed to get myself a drill bit from Homebase, so hopefully, and now that i'm tooled up with the knowledge, I should be able to achieve those holes without butchering the tiles. (I'll let you know!)

Thank User For This Post  
IP Logged

HM

Chief Turd Polisher

Reply #8 - Apr 10th, 2004, 2:28am

Drill slowly and you'll be fine.

Always amazes me when I hear neighbours drilling holes in their walls to hang flower baskets etc. Electric drill set to hammer mode and 3,000,000 revs per minute Wink

Andrew

Thank User For This Post  
IP Logged

Kesh
Trade Member

Trade: Not Specified

Reply #9 - Apr 14th, 2004, 1:17am

I disagree about using the grout lines as a start for drilling - use a tile bit, but the tile edges will stop the bit from sliding, while the soft grout will centre the hole.

If the tiler used a level, then that's another advantage!

Uhh... I must have forgot something else!
Thank User For This Post  
IP Logged

HM

Chief Turd Polisher

Reply #10 - Apr 14th, 2004, 2:23am

[quote author=Kesh  link=1081474968/0#9 date=1081901871]I disagree about using the grout lines as a start for drilling - use a tile bit, but the tile edges will stop the bit from sliding, while the soft grout will centre the hole [/quote]

True enough, though I tend to believe that the edge of a tile is a natural point of weakness, and if the drill dug into the grout unexpectedly (because of a hole under the surface of the grout maybe) then it could set up a sequence of events whereby the drill bit grabbed on the edge of the tile.

Probably not high on the list of possibilities though.

Andrew

Thank User For This Post  
IP Logged

thescruff
Global Moderator
Trade Member
Author

Who said plumbing was
easy.

Total Thanks: 147

Trade: Plumber

Reply #11 - Apr 14th, 2004, 10:01am

As a plumber with 45years practice at breaking tiles, the further away from the edge the better.

scruff Embarrassed

Thank User For This Post View members image gallery  
IP Logged

Plumber
Reply #12 - Apr 15th, 2004, 4:32pm

I have always just used an ordanary masonary bit to drill tiles, a new one of course so it is sharp and drill off hammer untill I am through the tile then on hammer to drill the brick, never had many problems
Don't forget to always push the plug in past the tile otherwise it can crack the tile as you tighten the screw, as the plug expands

Thank User For This Post  
IP Logged

Little_Miss_DIY

"Many hands make light
work"

Reply #13 - Apr 22nd, 2004, 1:31am

Hi,

A huge thank you to all of you  Grin

Tonight I successfully drilled a hole through a tile!

Not just one but four perfect holes!!

And now, for my next trick.......  Cheesy

Thank User For This Post  
IP Logged

Dewy
Reply #14 - Apr 22nd, 2004, 2:45am

Give yourself a big clap.
There are many men who have never been able to drill into tiles without breaking at least one.  Roll Eyes Grin

Thank User For This Post  
IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print