Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
sticking shed door (Read 3228 times)
splinter
GDPR opt-out

sticking shed door
Apr 29th, 2004, 3:22pm

hello lads &lasses,
                          ive lived at my present house 4 13yrs .now. every winter my shed door swells up so much i have to cut 5mm of it so i can get to close it.can you tell me if the door will ever stop expanding,or  will it change its molecular structure & turn into water over time
    surely if it contiues to do this the water will evaporate and the door will diasppear anyway any suggests to prevent the above ???(ive tried painting it didnt work)
   do you think if i ignore the swelling &stop cutting it off it will just go away on its own Smiley

IP Logged

HM

Chief Turd Polisher

Total Thanks: 0
For This Post: 0

Re: sticking shed door
Reply #1 - Apr 29th, 2004, 3:51pm

A couple of things to bear in mind I think.

Don't forget that it might also be the frame expanding, not just the door.

The other thing to note is that paint isn't usually waterproof as such. Sure it will lend itself to being water resistant, but that's different to being waterproof.

I imagine the problem you are having is that the door (and frame?) is quite porous, and sucks up moisture like there is no tomorrow. But it is unable to shed the water at the same speed as it attracts is. Nett result is the door getting fatter on its water diet.

An oil based paint might help put a barrier up. And it might not work.

Look out for the door standing on a point where water pools.

You might need to replace the door to get back to a good situation. If so make sure you give the new door some decent protection before you put it up.

Andrew

If you aren't always sure of the right answer don't take up a career in the bomb squad
Thank User For This Post  
IP Logged

Big Al
Trade Member

The Scottish Joiner

Total Thanks: 0
For This Post: 0

Trade: Not Specified

Reply #2 - Apr 29th, 2004, 9:36pm

Handy mac is quite right, the only other suggestion may be to seal it first with a sealent like thompsons.

Joiners put it all together
Thank User For This Post  
IP Logged

Dewy
Reply #3 - Apr 29th, 2004, 10:06pm

My original front door kept sticking every winter. I'd shave a little off the edge & it would be OK. Next winter it stuck again. Although the door was set into the hall 18" it was sucking in moisture from the atmosphere. It had been painted all round, so I thought, then when I took it off I saw that the underside wasn't painted. This allowed water to rise into the door but not allow it to escape because the top, sides, front & back were painted. Solution:- wait for warm weather then remove paint from top of door. Leave it to evaporate as long as possible then repaint both top & bottom. It didn't stick again while I still had that door (20 years).

Thank User For This Post  
IP Logged

splinter
Reply #4 - May 3rd, 2004, 3:55pm

thanks for the tips lads Smiley

Thank User For This Post  
IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print