Welcome To Ask The Trades!

Quote: Borrow money from pessimists - they don't expect it back.
  HomeHelpSearchLoginRegisterPM to admin  

Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print
Strange Ring Extension (Read 8590 times)
HM

Chief Turd Polisher
Total Thanks: 0
For This Post: 0

Re: Strange Ring Extension
Reply #1 - May 3rd, 2004, 10:42am

This does not sound as though it complies with the regs at all.

Are the connections between these bits of wire made with terminal blocks? If so, instantly outside the regs because termination blocks should only be used in accessible locations (and I don't view under the upstairs floorboards as being accessible).

Also, a spur should be just that - one radial t&e to a fused spur. Not an entire circuit like what it seems you have in there.

You home insurance company might not be pleased to have a claim against them in the event of a fire, so now that you are aware there could be a problem you need to get this fixed.

Andrew

If you aren't always sure of the right answer don't take up a career in the bomb squad
Thank User For This Post  
IP Logged

PoorOldWil

If it ain't broke, it
soon will be!
Total Thanks: 0
For This Post: 0

Strange Ring Extension
May 3rd, 2004, 10:32am

Hi folks,

I recently lifted some floorboards in a bedroom, to reveal the tangle of cables and 'floating' JBs that
make up my fixed wiring. My house has a kitchen extension, and the power ring circuit for this seems to
come from one of these JBs, as two 2.5mm2 cables. This JB is connected to a second JB, on one of the main rings,
by a length of heavier cable ( 4mm2 or 6mm2, not sure).  So it looks as though the entire ring circuit for the kitchen is
wired as a spur from the main ring. I have never seen this method of extending a ring described in books - does it
comply with the Regs?? The kitchen ring powers 5 x 13A sockets, a FCU to a dishwasher, a FCU to a 1kW water heater and
a FCU to a 150W towel rail heater: so I guess the 4/6mm2 cable is not overloaded (it's been like that for years!).
BTW I checked that the circuit is a ring, not a 'tree' spur.

Never look under the floorboards - there are things there that mere mortals should not see!!

Wil

Wil
Thank User For This Post  
IP Logged

Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print