Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
Welcome To Ask The Trades!
Mar 29th, 2024, 2:32am
Quote: There is no sense in being pessimistic. It probably wouldn't work anyway.

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Dare I (Read 10800 times)
mailee
GDPR opt-out

Dare I
May 5th, 2004, 1:25am

Ok, this will probably start some commotion. I have a set of dado cutters for a saw that uses a 30mm arbour. Does anyone know what saw they would fit?. Ok, yes, I know they are illegal in this country and saws are not made to take them any more but they used to so does anyone know what they might fit? I have a feeling they are from one of the De Walt range of saws but not sure which one?  Shocked

IP Logged

WJOHNM
GDPR opt-out

Re: Dare I
Reply #1 - May 5th, 2004, 5:53pm

hi there,
            are you sure your tooling is for a saw?maybe it is from a spindle moulder as 30mm is a standard bore size

IP Logged

Dewy
GDPR opt-out

Reply #2 - May 5th, 2004, 6:30pm

Dado cutters are legal to use providing the table saw has a long enough arbor & has not got a blade brake.
This would prevent any saw made in the last few years as all saws must now have blade braking and short arbors.
I believe all commercially used table saws had to have brakes by 1st January, making them illegal to use otherwise.
This only leaves hobby wodworkers able to use dado cutters if their saw was made before the period when arbors were shortened & brakes includes.
Dado blades can be used on a radial arm saw provided it has been made with a long arbor to take them.

IP Logged

WJOHNM
GDPR opt-out

Reply #3 - May 5th, 2004, 6:37pm

hi there dewy,
                     i took it the tooling was for running dado rails is this right?
                        john

IP Logged

Dewy
GDPR opt-out

Reply #4 - May 5th, 2004, 7:00pm

No WJOHNM
Stacked dado blades are twin saw blades with chippers in between that allow you to cut dados (housings) in wood at different widths depending on the number of chippers used & the adjustment made to them.
You cannot use a saw guard when using them making them unsafe to use.
It's DIYers who have used them in the past causing themselves injury that has been responsible for the EU laws on them. Pros have had to stop using them as a result even though they were very useful tools & seldom caused injury because the pros knew better than to be careless with their use.

IP Logged

HM

Chief Turd Polisher

Total Thanks: 0
For This Post: 0

Reply #5 - May 5th, 2004, 7:26pm

[quote author=Dewy  link=1083716712/0#4 date=1083780006]Stacked dado blades are twin saw blades with chippers in between that allow you to cut dados (housings) in wood at different widths depending on the number of chippers used & the adjustment made to them.
You cannot use a saw guard when using them making them unsafe to use. [/quote]

I have a DeWalt radial arm saw that I bought about 25 years ago. It is still giving sterling service, one of the best DIY buys I ever invested in.

I bought the dado set you refer to - together with a guard which replaces the regular saw guard. I suppose now that I might be using this in a "professional" capacity I am breaking the law?

Please note that the dado set is still in the pristine condition it was when I bought it 25 years ago. I never found a use for it.

Andrew

If you aren't always sure of the right answer don't take up a career in the bomb squad
Thank User For This Post  
IP Logged

WJOHNM
Reply #6 - May 5th, 2004, 7:33pm

cheers  dewy all is clear now
i knew them as raggle heads !!! never knew the term dado cutter
            cheers john

Thank User For This Post  
IP Logged

HM

Chief Turd Polisher

Reply #7 - May 5th, 2004, 7:41pm

[quote author=WJOHNM  link=1083716712/0#6 date=1083781997]
i knew them as raggle heads !!! never knew the term dado cutter [/quote]

Actually I know a dado head to be a cutter block into which matched pairs of cutters are mounted and held by an allen bolt (a bit like the average planer, but different).

Never heard the term raggle head before. Can't remember what the name of my set was when I bought it, but for sure back then there was a dado head for my radial arm saw - and it wasn't this set that I've got!

Andrew

If you aren't always sure of the right answer don't take up a career in the bomb squad
Thank User For This Post  
IP Logged

Dewy
Reply #8 - May 5th, 2004, 8:17pm

[quote author=WJOHNM  link=1083716712/0#6 date=1083781997]cheers  dewy all is clear now
i knew them as raggle heads !!! never knew the term dado cutter
            cheers john [/quote]
It's an American term. They wouldn't know what a dado is here. The same as they have 'base boards' when we have skirting boards. Same thing. Different countries.
They refer to housings as dados & rebates as 'rabbets'
Better not tell RR that yanks like cutting rabbets Andrew or he may get worried. Grin;)

Thank User For This Post  
IP Logged

WJOHNM
Reply #9 - May 5th, 2004, 8:17pm

hi there handymac,
                            in your first post you have a dado set in prestine condition(quote)in the next post you dont have a dado cutter set!!!!!
                            i believe in dewy's post dado cutters is the term used for the blades.i personally know them as raggle heads,its a bit like noggin and dwang must be the north/south thing then again i'm from scotland Smiley Smiley

Thank User For This Post  
IP Logged

HM

Chief Turd Polisher

Reply #10 - May 5th, 2004, 10:18pm

[quote author=WJOHNM  link=1083716712/0#9 date=1083784644]hi there handymac,
                            in your first post you have a dado set in prestine condition(quote)in the next post you dont have a dado cutter set!!!!! [/quote]

Okay, okay, so I had a bottle of wine with me dinner tonight..... Wink

Andrew

Thank User For This Post  
IP Logged

mailee
Reply #11 - May 6th, 2004, 1:19am

Ok then a trenching set. I think Handy mac is right it may be for a radial arm saw of which I sold mine, duh!. Well thanks for all the input on it. I have to admit thay are very handy things if used correctly of course.

Thank User For This Post  
IP Logged

Dewy
Reply #12 - May 6th, 2004, 1:59am

mailee, a RAS (radial arm saw) is the only machine dado cutters can be used in now. The only other way to produce a trenching cut is with a router & a straight edge.

Thank User For This Post  
IP Logged

jasonB
Reply #13 - May 6th, 2004, 8:00am

I have also got an old Dewalt radial arm but would only want to use a dado head (IF i HAD ONE) in cross cut mode for cutting out the waste in halving Joints etc as using a R.A.S. in ripping mode can be very dangerous with a normal blade let alone a dado head.

I do have a 150mm wobble saw that I use in my spindle moulder which is great for things like grooves in the styles and rails of shaker type doors or loose tonges, wouldn't be much use for carcase work as you can only get about 30mm from the edge of the timber.

Talking of Dewalt, have they taken over Metabo as I saw an advert for their very sexy looking new belt sander which also had a small shot of their "new" random ordit which looked just like a yellow version of my Metabo? ???

Jason

Thank User For This Post  
IP Logged

mailee
Reply #14 - May 6th, 2004, 9:01am

Hi Jason b, I know just what you mean about the radial arm being used for ripping. I had the misfortune to have a peice of timber fly out at a rate of knots on me. and that was even using the anti kickback claws too!. I only ever used it for cross cutting after that.  Shocked Sadly my RAS has gone now and I do miss it but think I shall buy one of the sliding compound mitre saws which should do most of the work that the RAS used to, apart from trenching of course which I now use the router for.

Thank User For This Post  
IP Logged

johnjin

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

Reply #15 - May 6th, 2004, 9:22am

Hi Dewy

Quote.
You cannot use a saw guard when using them making them unsafe to use.
Unquote

I see no reason why you can't use a saw guard when using Dado cutters. Surely it just depends on what type of guard you have.

Quote.
It's DIYers who have used them in the past causing themselves injury that has been responsible for the EU laws on them. Pros have had to stop using them as a result even though they were very useful tools & seldom caused injury because the pros knew better than to be careless with their use.
Unquote

That seems quite an unfounded attack on the DIYing community.
And I would love to know where you get "facts" like that from. If I understand right, you are an amateur woodworker yourself. To try and put the blame for any accidents on to the diy community is a little unfair. If you took the trouble to check these facts I think you will find the opposite is true. As for the EU laws I believe that what happened was the EU brought out regulation to brake saws in a certain amount of time resulting in the loosening of the screw or nut on the end of the arbor. A simple keyed arbor would get around this problem as it does on Milling Machines for example.
All the best

John

Thank User For This Post  
IP Logged

Dewy
Reply #16 - May 6th, 2004, 3:55pm

johnjin, it was not an attack on the DIYers but on the eurocrats who brought the laws in.
There are many threads on various forums regarding the use of stacked dado head cutters.
My reply was based on a thread some months ago concerning DIYers using tools they are unfamiliar with compared to those in a carpentry shop who have been trained in the safe use of tools and therefore put their own & others safety first.
http://www.screwfix.com/talk/thread.jspa?threadID=357&start=0&tstart=0

Thank User For This Post  
IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print