Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
Welcome To Ask The Trades!
Mar 29th, 2024, 10:04am
Quote: Ambition is a poor excuse for not having enough sense to be lazy.

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
:)Cabinet problem (Read 3461 times)
beadmaster

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

Total Thanks: 0
For This Post: 0

:)Cabinet problem
May 7th, 2004, 5:19pm

First, please excuse the fact that I am not at all knowledgeable about carpentry!

I have a strange cabinet problem.  The entire cabinet is one large piece, which consists of a centrally-located sink.  Just about *everything* about this cabinet is for under the sink!  It's all wasted space, with false cabinet doors on each side of the sink.  The only exceptions are a spot where the dishwasher stands (on the left), and a small, narrow set of drawers on the right-hand side.

The problem is that the cabinet drawers keep falling out!  The top drawer fell out about six months ago, track and all.  After placing everything in the drawer underneath (leaving a gaping hole where the old drawer used to be), it worked fine for a while, but then that drawer almost ended up falling on my foot.  Same symptoms.  I've had to wedge the drawer in at an angle to keep it from falling out, and have to use it that way.

The problem is that since the unit is only ONE piece (and there is a pipe for the water that runs behind this set of drawers), it would cost way too much to replace right now, as the ENTIRE thing must be replaced!  Is there any way of perhaps temporarily pulling out the remaining drawers and cabinet facade and putting a smaller self-contained unit under the countertop?  I know I can buy custom-made cabinets, but again, cost is the biggest factor.  If I could reuse the same drawers and have someone help me make a small cabinet or "holder" for them that would fit under the existing countertop, perhaps that would hold off having to replace the entire unit.

Thanks for any ideas!   Smiley

Thank User For This Post  
IP Logged

Dewy
Re:  :)Cabinet problem
Reply #1 - May 7th, 2004, 5:36pm

Why do the drawers fall out?
Have the runners broken? If so it should be possible to fit replacement runners unless they are the plastic kind.
I did this to a friends tallboy once. The plastic runners were broken so I replaced them with hardwood.
A coat of candle wax made them run smoother than when new.

Thank User For This Post  
IP Logged

HM

Chief Turd Polisher

Total Thanks: 0

Reply #2 - May 7th, 2004, 7:09pm

Dewy is right - you need to understand why the drawers are playing up, and fix that problem.

You might need a new set of drawer runners. Or glue the old ones in so they can't fall out.

Andrew

If you aren't always sure of the right answer don't take up a career in the bomb squad
Thank User For This Post  
IP Logged

big_all
Global Moderator
Trade Member
Author

heeelllooo

Total Thanks: 10

Trade: Joiner

Reply #3 - May 7th, 2004, 7:20pm

some drawer have little round bits of plastic

towards the back inside the drawer to stop

the drawer coming right out

if its got these make shure they are

firmly home

also are the sides of the the cabinet

possibly spreading slightly permitting

the drawer to fall off the runner ??? ???

big all ---------------  we are all still learning
Thank User For This Post View members image gallery  
IP Logged

woodsmith
Global Moderator
Trade Member
Author

Total Thanks: 135

Trade: Joiner

Reply #4 - May 7th, 2004, 9:17pm

This sounds like a large and expensive sink unit and I would think it would be definitely worth your while to find a carpenter to fix it.

I obviously can't see how much work it needs but I would think it would cost a lot less and look a lot better than trying to fit another unit inside this one. If no one can recommend a good chippie, look in the Yellow pages.

Thank User For This Post View members image gallery  
IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print