Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
Welcome To Ask The Trades!
Mar 29th, 2024, 2:44pm
Quote: If you can think of a random quote - Let us know!!

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Great British Woodshop (Read 5650 times)
Learner Turner

If it ain't broke - take
it apart to find out
why!

Total Thanks: 0
For This Post: 0

Great British Woodshop
May 20th, 2004, 11:29am

Did anyone see this on Discovery H+L last night?

There was the guy cutting a piece of MDF on his table saw - no crown guard, no riving knife and no dust mask of any type.  Shocked

How do the program makers get away with this?  I was under the impression that it was a "legal" requirement to have a guard and riving knife on a table saw?

Surely they should be setting an example to people like myself who watch these prgrammes in an effort to increase our knowledge and pick up ideas?  ???

What hope do we amateurs have if the "pro" isn't working in a safe manner?  Undecided

The 3 golden rules of engineering&&1) It always breaks when you need it most.&&2) It works better if you plug it in.&&3) If all else fails - read the instructions.
Thank User For This Post  
IP Logged

HM

Chief Turd Polisher

Re: Great British Woodshop
Reply #1 - May 20th, 2004, 3:09pm

Didn't see the program, but I was also under the impression that guards etc had to be fitted.

Riving knives are very important - if the sawcut closes you can get the workpiece hurtling towards you. Invariably this will be aimed squarely at your reproductive bits.

The one good thing about this program might be that it helps cancel out the next generation of bozos.

Andrew

If you aren't always sure of the right answer don't take up a career in the bomb squad
Thank User For This Post  
IP Logged

Dewy
Reply #2 - May 20th, 2004, 5:06pm

This was discussed on a number of forums when the series was first shown last year. You'll also notice that he uses an imported Unisaw & dado blades in the saw table.
The safety issues are shown on the programmes site http://www.greatbritishwoodshop.com/DesktopDefault.aspx?tabid=170

Thank User For This Post  
IP Logged

mailee
Reply #3 - May 21st, 2004, 1:23am

Well bu**er me!, was it on again last night, I missed it. That is the problem with working late shift don't get to see the TV much. Used to be on early in the afternoon so I managed to see it, looks like they have changed it again!.  Angry Oh yeah, and he is a bit dangerous isn't he?. What an example to set, I ask you.  Shocked

Thank User For This Post  
IP Logged

Dewy
Reply #4 - May 21st, 2004, 2:33am

It's on 9pm Wednesdays with a repeat at 3am.
I don't like it anyway. He goes round National Trust houses showing nice furniture then goes away & makes something simple that is nothing like the antiques. Yesterday he made a radiator cover out of MDF.

Thank User For This Post  
IP Logged

Learner Turner

If it ain't broke - take
it apart to find out
why!

Reply #5 - May 21st, 2004, 9:59am

Dewy,

Thanks for the link mate - very informative.

I agree with you about the program not being much good (Norm on the NYW is much better), but there was nothing alse worth watching on at that time!

The 3 golden rules of engineering&&1) It always breaks when you need it most.&&2) It works better if you plug it in.&&3) If all else fails - read the instructions.
Thank User For This Post  
IP Logged

Dusty

Grrrrrrrrrrrr

Reply #6 - May 21st, 2004, 1:55pm

Roll Eyes Roll Eyes Roll Eyes Roll Eyes Roll Eyes
How do the program makers have the gaul to call it the ‘Great British Woodshop’?
  • GREAT – It most certainly is not, Norm (NYW) is much better although it’s all in imperial and you can’t get most of the stock over here.

BRITISH – Ha! That’s a laugh, another bloody antipodean claiming to be a Brit.  There are hundreds of top Brits’ that would do a far better job, some of which often post on this very forum.

WOODSHOP – So he has a well equipped workshop.  So what!!  Most small businesses don’t have that much machinery and gadgets, so how the hell can the average DIYer (the target audience) possibly benefit from this as they have little or none of these wonderful machines.

No, not my favourite prog on Disc H&L, however it’s 10 times better than f****** fishing!

Thank User For This Post  
IP Logged

HM

Chief Turd Polisher

Reply #7 - May 21st, 2004, 4:38pm

[quote author=Dusty  link=1085048968/0#6 date=1085144116]although it’s all in imperial and you can’t get most of the stock over here [/quote]

There is nothing wrong with imperial in my book. I left school in 1972 and that must've been one of the last years they taught imperial measurements.

I've continued to use imperial, but can use metric as an when. But I prefer imperial.

You can buy litres of fuel, but your road speed is in miles per hour, and miles per gallon is still considered a common means of measuring a cars efficiency.

And have you bought any standard melamine sheets from the sheds recently? These are still all measured in inches and feet - 6, 9, 12, 15, 18, 21 and 24in width, and 6 or 8 feet length. Not mm (although a rough mm size might be shown on the label).  Long may this continue.

I know my weight in stone but not in kg. My shoes as size 11, heaven knows what size that is in metric (and shoe shops continue to sell imperial sizes). And if I buy a new pair of jeans in Burtons I'm looking for a waistline of 40in and inside leg of 32in. Etc, etc, etc.

Now okay, imperial might have been a little harder to add up and quantify. But I have no problem visualising how heavy a hundredweight is. But 100Kg?

Andrew

If you aren't always sure of the right answer don't take up a career in the bomb squad
Thank User For This Post  
IP Logged

Dewy
Reply #8 - May 21st, 2004, 5:09pm

When the Great British (Australian) Woodshop was 1st shown in January it created a lot of comments on the UKW forum.
As such programmes are aimed at DIY woodworkers, I made a suggestion about making a series using only tools that newbies might get from well known DIY sheds or Screwfix setup in a small garage.
My suggestion elicited a vavourable response. You can see the thread here.
http://www.ukworkshop.co.uk/forums/viewtopic.php?t=878

Thank User For This Post  
IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print