Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
Welcome To Ask The Trades!
Mar 29th, 2024, 2:02am
Quote: Why is lemon juice made with artificial flavor, and dishwashing liquid made with real lemons?

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
G'is a job (Read 2510 times)
Slug
Trade Member

Total Thanks: 0
For This Post: 0

Trade: Not Specified

G'is a job
May 22nd, 2004, 2:59am

I wonder if I'll get an email from admin for this ?!  Wink

Basildon, Essex.

42 year old, single dad, retraining in NVQ2 Plumbing Studies within Thurrock College after being laid off from a supervisory role in a major telecoms company construction department. First year nearly completed with OCN practical assessment passed, several private jobs (HUGE learning curves made !!! .... Nothing like being alone in the world to correct your own boo boo's !!!.. NOTHING like it !!) and a recommendation from a gas technician as his Chimp No:2 available.

I seek a full time / part time plumbers mate position. Full time, yes, I'd like to be paid + one day a week off to carry on my studies at college. Part time (Thurs / Friday), nope, I'm not asking for a bean.

I am eager to learn more of the reality of the real environment against the 'perfection' of the workshop environment.

I have a rare ability these days. I'm able to listen, take information on board, graft at flunky/menial tasks and am willing to learn.

I'm 42, 6ft and fit, BUT, even if younger, you would be the boss ........knowledge is to be respected. I know my place.

At the end of the day .... yeah, theres shed loads of gits going into the plumbing market now, I am under no illusions about earnings etc. Oddly enough, I'm going into this melarchy as much for job satisfaction as for money !! However, unlike some mobile only advert pykie / eastern european vermin who will undercut you in his 'quote', then skin the punter alive, I will NOT be a cowboy, i bloody well WILL learn the trade, all I ask for is for someone to give me the chance to carry on learning the real side of it, then I can be adjudicated on site  by C&G so I can get my NVQ .... too much too ask ? It seems so.

The V in NVQ stands for Vocational, meaning, I have to be working and judged on site for my work. After 45+, letters, admittedly only several face to face contacts, I just cannot get a placement. Any ideas anyone ?

I must be a bit honest here. I am a bit pissed off at the industry. I consider myself to be a quiet, get on with it type of fella. I see messages on various message boards moaning about the standard of turd dished out by colleges these days, and .. they are right !!! Yet, here I am, willing to do me bit. properly, professionally and without a strop attitude, and no bugger will give me the chance. Thats why i'm doing private jobs and taking yer jobs/women/houses/ etc  Grin

G'is a job  Wink
« Last Edit: May 22nd, 2004, 3:04am by Slug »  

Ambitiously striving towards mediocrity
Thank User For This Post  
IP Logged

HM

Chief Turd Polisher

Total Thanks: 0

Re: G'is a job
Reply #1 - May 22nd, 2004, 6:57am

To be honest ya gotta pity the guy. There's so many people in the UK today who just want to earn an honest living, but unless you are some jumped-up insurance salesman or subserviant call centre drone ya just get p!ssed on.

Andrew

If you aren't always sure of the right answer don't take up a career in the bomb squad
Thank User For This Post  
IP Logged

supersparky
Administrator
Trade Member
Author

Total Thanks: 3

Trade: Electrician

Re: G'is a job
Reply #2 - May 22nd, 2004, 11:26pm

ask agin in trade plumbing Wink