Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
Welcome To Ask The Trades!
Mar 28th, 2024, 8:33pm
Quote: A bus station is where a bus stops. A train station is where a train stops. On my desk I have a work station...

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Catflap thru a wall (Read 14261 times)
HM

Chief Turd Polisher

Total Thanks: 0
For This Post: 0

Catflap thru a wall
May 24th, 2004, 5:52pm

I've had an enquiry about putting a catflap thru a wall. Haven't looked at this yet but it's a mid-terraced property so I assume we are talking about a double-brick with cavity.

Drilling a big enough hole is probably not going to be the main issue, assuming I can hire a large enough core drill.

However I'm a bit concerned that taking so much material out of the wall to fit a catflap might weaken the structure of the wall. Anyone got any thoughts on this?

I'm not sure of the size of a catflap but it's got to be 6-8in in diameter - a bit larger than a regular extractor hood vent.

Apparently it isn't possible to put the catflap anywhere else because it is a sliding patio door to the back garden, so it can't go thru the door.

Andrew

If you aren't always sure of the right answer don't take up a career in the bomb squad
Thank User For This Post  
IP Logged

thescruff
Global Moderator
Trade Member
Author

Who said plumbing was
easy.

Total Thanks: 147

Trade: Plumber

Re: Catflap thru a wall
Reply #1 - May 24th, 2004, 6:21pm

You can buy catflaps for wall about a brick squire and build it in.

scruff

Thank User For This Post View members image gallery  
IP Logged

WJOHNM
Reply #2 - May 24th, 2004, 6:47pm

is the cat not good enough to go through front door ???
o.k.theres a main road Roll Eyes
might not be a bad idea (problem solved).
only joking i love cats Wink Wink Wink
how about a new double glazed unit for the patio door with the hole pre cut in the toughend glass.i have seen this done before for extractor vents etc.
might be costly though.
         john

Thank User For This Post  
IP Logged

supersparky
Administrator
Trade Member
Author

Total Thanks: 3

Trade: Electrician

Reply #3 - May 24th, 2004, 6:59pm

dont want to make the hole too big, the cat wont get any pleasure  Shocked

ss

Thank User For This Post WWW  
IP Logged

HM

Chief Turd Polisher

Reply #4 - May 24th, 2004, 10:45pm

[quote author=supersparky  link=1085417575/0#3 date=1085421554]dont want to make the hole too big, the cat wont get any pleasure  Shocked [/quote]
Gotta watch out for them pesky rabbits coming in the other way too..... Wink

Andrew

If you aren't always sure of the right answer don't take up a career in the bomb squad
Thank User For This Post  
IP Logged

Kesh
Trade Member

Trade: Not Specified

Reply #5 - May 24th, 2004, 10:45pm

I wonder if 6"- 8" will be big enough through a cavity wall?  Cats usually "step" through a standard catflap in a door, but crawling through a circular hole this size may be too much of a squeeze.

Perhaps a better option would be to make a rectangular opening, a little taller?

Another thought just occurred to me - how about getting a glazier to cut a hole in a downstairs window Undecided

Uhh... I must have forgot something else!
Thank User For This Post  
IP Logged

HM

Chief Turd Polisher

Reply #6 - May 24th, 2004, 10:47pm

That thought struck me too. In fact I did a catflap replacement in a glass door recently - nice round hole already in the glass for that one.

Can't help thinking this catflap idea thru a cavity wall isn't a great one. As you say, poor old pussy is going to be lost in the void, with it's tail disappearing one end before the whiskers come out the other.

Andrew

Thank User For This Post  
IP Logged

ROBBO
Reply #7 - May 24th, 2004, 10:59pm

Would assume Handy that if this is a mid terrace and an old property that there would be no cavity at all, but rather two skin of brick  stretcher bond tied in with  headers running through intermitantly.... If so there would be no probs with a cat flap at all just a bit of brute force with the old hammer & bolster.
If you look at the wall and you see  those headers probably on every third course then you will be ok.

Thank User For This Post  
IP Logged

Dewy
Reply #8 - May 25th, 2004, 12:04am

Cats can get through very small holes. My father always said that a cat used it's whiskers to judge whether it could get through or not. They are very sensitive & if the whiskers can pass an object then the whole cat can.

Thank User For This Post  
IP Logged

thescruff
Global Moderator
Trade Member
Author

Who said plumbing was
easy.

Total Thanks: 147

Trade: Plumber

Reply #9 - May 25th, 2004, 7:30am

Still can't see whats wrong with buying the proper thing, includes sleeve through the wall and draught excluder.

scruff

Thank User For This Post View members image gallery  
IP Logged

Symo

Reply #10 - May 25th, 2004, 8:58am

[quote author=WJOHNM  link=1085417575/0#2 date=1085420839]
how about a new double glazed unit for the patio door with the hole pre cut in the toughend glass.i have seen this done before for extractor vents etc.
might be costly though.
         john [/quote]

I had this done. Used a clear polycarbonate cat-flap. It works great and is very inconspicuous.

Trouble is, big patio doors so the replacement panel with the hole was expensive, cost £400 all in. Embarrassed

Symo

Thank User For This Post  
IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print