Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
Welcome To Ask The Trades!
Mar 28th, 2024, 9:53pm
Quote: Why is the time of day with the slowest traffic called rush hour?

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
how do i add a light? (Read 11704 times)
helloo
GDPR opt-out

how do i add a light?
May 27th, 2004, 11:11pm

how do i add a light?
its in my front room, i would also like to change the current light fitting,
at the current light fitting there are 3 wires, each one has 3 cores in it, one earth, one live and one neutral, ive not done the job yet, how do i add the light?
and how do i connect it into this light fitting? i can probrably manage the swap, but the addition pussles me!

thanks

alan

IP Logged

rabbit_rabbit
GDPR opt-out

Re: how do i add a light?
Reply #1 - May 27th, 2004, 11:23pm

ADDIng or CHANGING? theres a big difference.

What you describe (wiring) is what we call "Loop-in, Loop-out" as follows;

One cable carries live (Phase), neutral (N) and earth (CPC) IN from the consumer unit (CU). Another cable carries it OUT to the next light. The third cable goes to the light switch and this one confuses many people because the red cable is normally the live and the black cable is the SWITCHED live back from the switch - it should have a red taper (red tape or red sleeve) on it.

And so - you have THREE red cables these are ALL live and one goes to the switch COMMON. You have TWO blacks cables these are neutral. AN you have another black (which should have a red taper) this is the switched live. And of course you have three cpc cable (earth).

So ya new light goes between the TWO neutrals and the switched (black probably) cable.

Clear as mud? If so ask away my friend.

RR

« Last Edit: May 28th, 2004, 2:59am by LSpark »  

IP Logged

HM

Chief Turd Polisher

Total Thanks: 0
For This Post: 0

Reply #2 - May 28th, 2004, 7:46am

If you aren't sure what you are doing the best advice is to get expert help. Even if that expert help is simply to guide you on-site and point you in the right direction, and then test afterwards.

If this new light fitting caused an accident or fatality, or your house burnt down because it wasn't installed according to the 16th edition regulations, your insurance company are extremely likely to walk away from covering you.

Andrew

If you aren't always sure of the right answer don't take up a career in the bomb squad
Thank User For This Post  
IP Logged

rabbit_rabbit
Reply #3 - May 28th, 2004, 8:01am

Interestingly I think the insurance company would have problems with that as the 16th Regs are not statutory. Unless the policy clearly states that any DIY invalidates the insurance then he will be covered.

Now life insurance thats another matter! Its not worth risking your life.

As HandyMac says best get a sparky in if in ANY doubt whatsoever.

RR

Thank User For This Post  
IP Logged

HM

Chief Turd Polisher

Reply #4 - May 28th, 2004, 8:13am

[quote author=rabbit_rabbit  link=1085695869/0#3 date=1085727661]Interestingly I think the insurance company would have problems with that as the 16th Regs are not statutory [/quote]
Not statutory, no. But would be used in a court of law against the individual because the 16th ed regs are the only show in town. I wouldn't put money on a smart lawyer not being able to get the judge to see it his way that the 16th ed weren't complied with so therefore the gallows beckons.

It's not actually illegal not to have an MOT for a vehicle either - driving it on the road might be. But in the event you were driving the vehicle on private land (which doesn't need an MOT) you can bet your bottom dollar that the vehicle would be put thru the same rigorous testing that the MOT requires if there was a loss of life.

Andrew
« Last Edit: May 28th, 2004, 8:13am by HM »  

If you aren't always sure of the right answer don't take up a career in the bomb squad
Thank User For This Post  
IP Logged

rabbit_rabbit
Reply #5 - May 28th, 2004, 8:24am

True....

RR

Thank User For This Post  
IP Logged

toomuchtooyoung
Reply #6 - May 28th, 2004, 4:28pm

Why don't yous two just take over  this guys question for a debate.

I would be surprised if they can get the owners DNA from the cable or see the red sleeve once it has been burnt to cinders......

Been called out many a time to All reds together all blacks together and all earths together and the punter "Every time I flick the switch the bloomin fuse goes" - keeps us sparkys in business.......

johnb.

Thank User For This Post  
IP Logged

HM

Chief Turd Polisher

Reply #7 - May 28th, 2004, 5:35pm

[quote author=toomuchtooyoung  link=1085695869/0#6 date=1085758133]I would be surprised if they can get the owners DNA from the cable or see the red sleeve once it has been burnt to cinders...... [/quote]
Don't be so daft! The scientists managed to get hold of some 65 million year old DNA when they made Jurassic Park - and I'll bet that DNA had been thru the wars a lot more than this guys DNA had! Wink

Andrew

Thank User For This Post  
IP Logged

rabbit_rabbit
Reply #8 - May 28th, 2004, 8:15pm

Sincere apologies to Hello, are rantings may have confused you.

Are you happy with the answers and responses so far and are you able to add your light or elect to get a sparky in to do it for you? Any further queries?

RR

PS. Guys we should go offline (not this section) to other section to discuss this TooWellHung is quite right.

Thank User For This Post  
IP Logged

ban-all-sheds
Reply #9 - Jun 1st, 2004, 3:12pm

Not quite sure why they guys above spent more time bantering than answering your question, given that this is a DIY forum, and DIY installation/replacement of a light fitting isn't an unreasonable task.

RR came closest, but he's not named that for no reason, and a picture might be easier to follow:

It's not quite as helpful as it could be, as it shows two reds going to the switch, when in 99.999% of cases it's a length of T&E, with the red used to take the live feed to the switch, and the black used to bring the switched live back.  This is supposed to be marked with a bit of red tape or red sleeving, but often this isn't done.  It also doesn't show the earth wire going to the switch, which is naughty.

Anyway, you should be able to see why you have 3 cables.  Rather than post more pictures here, I'll point you at this web page:

http://www.diydick.com/index.htm?http%3A//www.diydick.com/Electrics/electrical-c...

where they do a good job of building up from first principles to show how all the various conductors in the ceiling rose work.  It's very simple once you get the hang of it, and once you have, then if you need to replace the rose with a light fitting that has only L/N/E connections, you'll be able to work out which wires you need to join yourself with junction boxes or choc-block.  

Apart from turning off the power, the most important thing you need to do, before you disconnect anything, is to look for the black wire that is not connected to either of the other two black wires, but instead is in the same terminal block as one of the light pendant wires.   This is in the cable that goes to the switch, and you need to make sure you mark that so that you know which is which when you connect it all back up.

Thank User For This Post  
IP Logged

LSpark
Global Moderator
Trade Member
Author

Total Thanks: 3

London, UK, United Kingdom
London, UK
United Kingdom

Trade: Electrician

Reply #10 - Jun 1st, 2004, 4:27pm

good old BAS with some pictures there  Wink

Thank User For This Post View members image gallery  
IP Logged

rabbit_rabbit
Reply #11 - Jun 1st, 2004, 10:02pm

Most impressed BAS, especially with the red and red t/e. Seen it for sale never used it though.

No mate THAT was a good job to post pictures - 9 out of 10 mate!

RR

Thank User For This Post  
IP Logged

Lectrician
Administrator
Trade Member
Author

Ask The Trades

Total Thanks: 108

Braunton, North Devon, United Kingdom
Braunton, North Devon
United Kingdom

Reply #12 - Jun 2nd, 2004, 7:48am

Is that a borrowed pic, or did ya do it BAS?  Top marks to you Smiley

Twin red, i have seen installed on some council jobs, only available in 1.5 i think.

Need to post a picture? Click HERE for info!
Thank User For This Post WWW View members image gallery  
IP Logged

rabbit_rabbit
Reply #13 - Jun 2nd, 2004, 9:16am

Probably a borrowed picture.

Reminds me about a company that copied a map where their offices were reproduced it and put in their catalogue. They were sued by the map copyright holders and had to pay £15,000 (and that is a true story). And dump all their catalogues.

Why ya sweating BAS?  Grin

Ray

Thank User For This Post  
IP Logged

ban-all-sheds
Reply #14 - Jun 2nd, 2004, 9:41am

[quote author=rabbit_rabbit  link=1085695869/0#13 date=1086164205]Probably a borrowed picture. [/quote]
Certainly is, although "borrowed" probably not the right word...

Quote:
Reminds me about a company that copied a map where their offices were reproduced it and put in their catalogue. They were sued by the map copyright holders and had to pay £15,000 (and that is a true story). And dump all their catalogues.

Why ya sweating BAS?  Grin

Ray

I'm not sweating, as I've not borrowed/copied/downloaded/reposted anything from the DIYDick website - just included a hyperlink in my posting to the original.  No copyright issues whatsoever.

Thank User For This Post  
IP Logged

LSpark
Global Moderator
Trade Member
Author

Total Thanks: 3

London, UK, United Kingdom
London, UK
United Kingdom