Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
Welcome To Ask The Trades!
Mar 29th, 2024, 5:06am
Quote: Why is the third hand on the watch called the second hand?

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Kitchen question (Read 5787 times)
HippieChippie

I love weeds

Total Thanks: 0
For This Post: 0

Kitchen question
Jun 13th, 2004, 6:52pm

Hi guys need some advice

I've taken out some kitchen units which are gonna be replaced but I've left worktop and sink in place propped up. I want to push the new units back in under worktop but can see its not gonna be easy to get a fixing into the wall.  

What I've come up with is to fit brackets to outsides not insides of cabinets where I can, so working from left to right...... 1st unit scew to wall, 2nd unit screw to 1st unit on left side and to wall on right side and so on. Each unit (except for first) will be fixed to wall on one side only.
What ya reckon is it gonna work, is it gonna be strong enough or any other suggestions??

Also last unit is gonna be standard depth on left hand side but narrows down to about 300mm deep on right (to miss a door), reckon I'm gonna have to cut a it down angle the shelves and edge them with lam. strip (I love this woodworking lark with the chipboard). Any thoughts on that??

Thank User For This Post  
IP Logged

woodsmith
Global Moderator
Trade Member
Author

Total Thanks: 135

Trade: Joiner

Re: Kitchen question
Reply #1 - Jun 13th, 2004, 7:50pm

I can't see any problems fixing on just one side if you make sure the fixings you do provide are secure.

Cutting the unit down, now there's a challenge Undecided

Hope the units are good ones I've had some where the chipboard was mostly air and held together by the melamine.

One problem; if you plan to re-fit the door. The front, cut at an angle, will be longer and the door will no longer fit.

Thank User For This Post View members image gallery  
IP Logged

WJOHNM
Reply #2 - Jun 13th, 2004, 8:02pm

is it adjustable feet on the bottom of units??
if the sides go to the floor,screw angle brackets to units and floor if possible.
if you put brackets on outside won't they interfere with lining up the next unit ??? ???
how about leaving the end panel open with no door,saves the problem with door Wink
john

Thank User For This Post  
IP Logged

jasonB
Reply #3 - Jun 13th, 2004, 8:35pm

Why not fix worktop to wall with angle brackets then fix top of carcases to worktop.

Jason

Thank User For This Post  
IP Logged

Kesh
Trade Member

Trade: Not Specified

Reply #4 - Jun 13th, 2004, 11:01pm

Quote:
Also last unit is gonna be standard depth on left hand side but narrows down to about 300mm deep on right (to miss a door), reckon I'm gonna have to cut a it down angle the shelves and edge them with lam. strip (I love this woodworking lark with the chipboard). Any thoughts on that??

My kitchen has a unit just like that (in reverse) - already fitted when I moved in, & it works a treat.

The front edges of the unit have also been cut at an angle so that the door fits flush.  It's a double door, & only the wider part opens.

I have to mention though, that this kitchen was custom built, so making the doors fit the opening was not a big deal.  Perhaps you may need to add a new part to the carcass to hinge the door on, with a fillet on the outside?

Uhh... I must have forgot something else!
Thank User For This Post  
IP Logged

big_all
Global Moderator
Trade Member
Author

heeelllooo

Total Thanks: 10

Trade: Joiner

Reply #5 - Jun 13th, 2004, 11:33pm

another point to note hippy chippie
[i think there is a few more ]
the hinges wont go less than 90%
so you may have to put them on the
other side
actualy reading your item again
it looks like youv got a shelve
unit on the end

plllleeeeaaassseee
let us know more

goood luuuck
« Last Edit: Jun 14th, 2004, 12:42am by big_all »  

big all ---------------  we are all still learning
Thank User For This Post View members image gallery  
IP Logged

HippieChippie

I love weeds

Reply #6 - Jun 14th, 2004, 6:53pm

Thanks guys- good advice as usual

Thank User For This Post  
IP Logged

jasonB
Reply #7 - Jun 14th, 2004, 8:43pm

Blum make hinges that will allow the door to be hinged on either side of the carcase (37deg or 25deg acute hinge). If you get the angle a little less than 45 degrees you may get away with using a 400mm door as the length required at 45deg is 420mm.

Another alternative wound ne to cut the unit square accross at 300mm and set the door back or just use a wall carcase to save any cutting.

Jason
« Last Edit: Jun 14th, 2004, 8:44pm by jasonB »  
Thank User For This Post  
IP Logged

mailee
Reply #8 - Jun 14th, 2004, 11:28pm

Ah Jason, just what I was going to suggest. If the room allows it wouldn't it be better to cut it down on the back and just have a shallower unit?.  Wink

Thank User For This Post  
IP Logged

Kesh
Trade Member

Trade: Not Specified

Reply #9 - Jun 14th, 2004, 11:29pm

On re- reading this - couldn't you just construct a copy of the existing carcass?

Uhh... I must have forgot something else!
Thank User For This Post  
IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print