Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
Welcome To Ask The Trades!
Apr 24th, 2024, 6:44pm
Quote: If there is a 50-50 chance of getting something right, there is a 90% chance you will get it wrong.

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Finish for meranti table... (Read 2022 times)
Doc

This would be a great
job if .....

Total Thanks: 0
For This Post: 0

Finish for meranti table...
Jul 22nd, 2004, 12:40am

Could anyone suggest a finish for a table I'm in the process of finishing off - it's a Shaker style hall table but I've changed the traditional design from straight tapered legs to a slightly curved profile on the inside of the legs.. and as per topic it's made from meranti.

On a few scraps I've tested various finishes but am not happy with any of them.. Suggestions plz, and I'm looking for a fairly light finish, definately not mahogany! Have ran out of Danish oil or I'd have tried that..... Looking for something to make the piece look old but warm at same time, a bit like button polish (my French polishing skills are good enough to totally spoil the job so plz don't suggest French/Button polishing)...

WD40 doesn't seem to work the same :p

Mike.

Insert amusing text here ->
Thank User For This Post  
IP Logged

jasonB
Re: Finish for meranti table...
Reply #1 - Jul 22nd, 2004, 7:45am

Meranti is one of the worst hardwoods to get a decent finish on due to its open grain and the amount of surface plecking that you get (lifting of fibres).

I would suggest wetting the surface after initial sanding to raise the grain then sanding again to 320grit. Apply 2 coats of celulose sanding sealer possibly thinning the first and rubbing down between coats. You could then finish with water bourne acrylic lacqer.

Jason

Thank User For This Post  
IP Logged

Doc

This would be a great
job if .....

Total Thanks: 0
For This Post: 0

Re: Finish for meranti table...
Reply #2 - Jul 22nd, 2004, 10:26pm

Will follow your advice, thanks.

Insert amusing text here ->