Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
Welcome To Ask The Trades!
Mar 29th, 2024, 3:23pm
Quote: The lottery is a tax on people who are bad at maths - Ambrose Bierce (1842)

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Condensing boilers to be compulsory? (Read 8118 times)
shed-u-like

Total Thanks: 0
For This Post: 0

Condensing boilers to be compulsory?
Aug 19th, 2004, 11:56am

I have been told by a plumber that condensing boilers will soon be compulsory (from next year?).  He also said that they have a poorer reliability record than non-condensing types.  Are both of these things true?

I have a 15-year-old Potterton Flamingo II that still works fine.  I have a service contract with British gas and for the last couple of years they have issued a notice saying that they cannot guarantee to get spare parts any more because of its age.

Should I replace the boiler this year while I can still have a non-condensing one?  Or is the plumber &/or British Gas talking it all up to try and sell me a new boiler?

Thank User For This Post  
IP Logged

PEDANTICVINDICTIVEMAN
Trade Member

Cant talk,old folks to
rip off and tanks to
pee in

Trade: Not Specified

Re: Condensing boilers to be compulsory?
Reply #1 - Aug 19th, 2004, 7:18pm

I answered this allready on DIY not com  Kiss

If you cant find someone else to blame, run like fack.
Thank User For This Post  
IP Logged

shed-u-like

Q. My engiRe: Condensing boilers to be compulsory?
Reply #2 - Aug 20th, 2004, 9:11am

According to Which? magazine :-

Q. My engineer told me that condensing boilers are expensive and unreliable. Is that right?

A. Some of the first condensing boilers weren't well made and there were many problems which gave them a bad name. They've now improved, and modern condensing boilers are just as reliable as non-condensing ones. However, some contractors still have a negative view of them.

Q. Is it true that all new boilers will have to be condensing boilers after 2005?

A. No, this isn't true, though many of the contractors we came across seemed to be under this impression. After the next edition of the building regulations, it's likely that the minimum efficiency requirements for boilers will be raised, so condensing boilers will become the norm. But other boilers will almost certainly still be available, as there are some situations where the installation of a condensing boiler won't be practical.

Q. British Gas has told me you can't buy parts for my boiler any more, so I need a new one. What should I do?

A. Always get a second or third opinion or, better still, call your boiler manufacturer to check whether parts are still available before you make a decision.

British Gas runs an incentive scheme whereby its service engineers receive a bonus for selling new boilers. After receiving several complaints from consumers who said they'd been sold a new boiler unnecessarily, Energywatch urged British Gas to scrap the bonus scheme, but it still exists. In 2001, Surrey Trading Standards successfully took British Gas Services to court after one of its engineers tried to sell a new boiler to a customer, saying parts were no longer available. She had called the manufacturer and discovered parts were in fact easy to acquire.

Thank User For This Post  
IP Logged

Mud
Trade Member

Its just the depth that
varies!

Trade: Not Specified

Re: Condensing boilers to be compulsory?
Reply #3 - Aug 28th, 2004, 9:24am

Quite true - as of April 5th 2005 condensing/high efficiency boilers will be the norm.  There is an incentive scheme running at the moment which helps with the cost of installing a new condensing boiler - bet your plumber didn't tell you about that did they?  Details are on http://www.a1-boilers.co.uk/npower/index.html

Condensing boilers did have some teething problems in the past but manufacturers have solved 99% of these now (such as corrosion) and we find that we have fewer problems with the condensing boilers we fit than with the conventional boilers!  One thing to bear in mind though - condensing boilers MUST be serviced/maintained every year.  The condensate trap can potentially block causing a build up of slightly acidic condensate within the boiler which will rot it.  Yearly service - this will not happen and the boiler will be maintained at its optimum efficiency (requires the use of a flue gas analyser) - saving you money on your gas bill and CO2 emmissions which is the whole point.  With the rises in gas prices a condensing boiler is a good investment.

If your existing boiler is still working ok and you can get parts - why replace it.  Contact a couple of your local parts centres (HRP&C) and ask if parts are still available or if suitable equivalent parts are available (manufacturers are often quite keen to sell you a new boiler too funnily enough!!)  We are still maintaining boilers which are over 22 years old.  They are not efficient, and probably cost the customer more in gas over 3 years than the cost of the new boiler (trade £ unfitted) but it is the customers choice.

If you feel that it is necessary to replace your boiler (either this year, next year or in 5 years time) then do so.  A condensing boiler should not put you off.  They are reliable and fuel efficient.  Pay a little more and go for a good make (stainless steel heat exchanger)  a Vaillant Ecomax Pro would be a super easy direct replacement for your Potterton Flamingo.  We have already fitted over 80 condensing boilers this year alone and we haven't had a single problem with any of them.  Over the past 6 years we have only had a handfull of  problems - and that was early days.

The A1 boiler incentive is running out though and will not be available much longer.  If your local plumber is part of the scheme they may still be able to get a voucher.

Don't be frightened of condensing boilers - but do look at the better end of the market.  Get lots of estimates from good, longstanding, reliable firms then make your decision.  If you don't know who to call, ring a couple of manufacturers such as Vaillant, Viessman, Worcester etc and ask their rep for a local good installer.

Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe. . . . &&&&Albert Einstein&&
Thank User For This Post  
IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print