Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
Welcome To Ask The Trades!
Apr 18th, 2024, 1:36am
Quote: Eagles may soar, but weasels don't get sucked into jet engines.

Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print
How much (Read 11738 times)
thescruff
Global Moderator
Trade Member
Author

Who said plumbing was
easy.

Total Thanks: 147
For This Post: 0

Trade: Plumber

How much
Aug 19th, 2004, 11:01pm

Question below is from ask the question any answers please as not my line.

Hi,

i have a combi boiler and have just bought a new one. I need the old boiler taking out, the new one fitting and moving to the left by about 4 inches. Can anyone tell me an approximate cost for this type of work? I'm in leicestershire, if that makes a difference.

I've had one quote but it took them 4 days to get back to me and the quote seems really high - can anyone give me any advice?

Many thanks

scruff

Thank User For This Post View members image gallery  
IP Logged

billythekid
Trade Member

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

Total Thanks: 0

Re: How much
Reply #1 - Aug 19th, 2004, 11:07pm

moving any appliance 4 inches is usually more difficult than moving it a foot or to the other side of the house, if the flue goes straight out the wall the hole will need re-cutting too, as well as the other pipework changing for the new boiler setup. Get a few quotes in your area for a good general idea of cost.

Thank User For This Post  
IP Logged

HM

Chief Turd Polisher

Reply #2 - Aug 20th, 2004, 7:15am

Also, enlarging that hole by 4 inches horizontally - which is effectively what would be necessary - could seriously weaken the wall, and being an outside wall it is 96.73% certain to be a load bearing wall.

Andrew

If you aren't always sure of the right answer don't take up a career in the bomb squad
Thank User For This Post  
IP Logged

ian
Reply #3 - Aug 21st, 2004, 7:25pm

Did you know that %76.8423 of statistics are made up on the spot?

Thank User For This Post  
IP Logged

PEDANTICVINDICTIVEMAN
Trade Member

Cant talk,old folks to
rip off and tanks to
pee in

Trade: Not Specified

Reply #4 - Aug 21st, 2004, 8:09pm

I dont like people buying their own boilers  Angry

If you cant find someone else to blame, run like fack.
Thank User For This Post  
IP Logged

thescruff
Global Moderator
Trade Member
Author

Who said plumbing was
easy.

Reply #5 - Aug 21st, 2004, 11:12pm

[quote author=PEDANTICVINDICTIVEMAN  link=1092952907/0#4 date=1093115341]I dont like people buying their own boilers  Angry [/quote]

I bet you don't like falling off horses either but whats that got to do with a legitimate question.

scruff Tongue

IP Logged

billythekid
Trade Member

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

Reply #6 - Aug 22nd, 2004, 5:24am

LMAO he's got ya there PVM, how's the shoulder btw?

Thank User For This Post  
IP Logged

PEDANTICVINDICTIVEMAN
Trade Member

Cant talk,old folks to
rip off and tanks to
pee in

Reply #7 - Aug 22nd, 2004, 7:12pm

Shoulder not brilliant but getting along and riding carefully.

Cant always help falling of horse's but can definately refuse to fit boilers people buy themselves or answer questions regarding fitting them, remove the legal millstone of corgi, ACS/ACOPS and waste disposal from round MY neck and I will be happy for people to buy their own gas appliances, I dont have a problem with people buying there own sanitaryware but then I dont have to jump through hoops and fill some suit and ties pockets and pension plan before I can fit it, dont tell me it keeps the cowboys from doing, as it dont, been to an abortion of a job fitted by a builder and his now retired plumber on friday, fitted five years ago, joke installation or what, we may as well not have any legislation at all.
The other thing about people buying their own stuff is that it nearly always comes from a shed and is cheap crap so not interested to start with.

Thank User For This Post  
IP Logged

Dan

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

Reply #8 - Aug 22nd, 2004, 10:29pm

Have seen scruff's pipework. Unlikely his boiler would come from a shed. He can teach most of us a thing or two.

Go in peace
Thank User For This Post  
IP Logged

thescruff
Global Moderator
Trade Member
Author

Who said plumbing was
easy.

Reply #9 - Aug 22nd, 2004, 11:24pm

[quote author=Dan  link=1092952907/0#8 date=1093210183]Have seen scruff's pipework. Unlikely his boiler would come from a shed. He can teach most of us a thing or two. [/quote]

Why thank you dan, don't forget to ask SS for trade status and welcome aboard.

I shall be offt to London so see you Friday, have fun.

scruff

IP Logged

PEDANTICVINDICTIVEMAN
Trade Member

Cant talk,old folks to
rip off and tanks to
pee in

Reply #10 - Aug 23rd, 2004, 7:22am

Have a nice time scruffy  Wink will you still be on the tinternet while in the smoke ?

Thank User For This Post  
IP Logged

thescruff
Global Moderator
Trade Member
Author

Who said plumbing was
easy.

Reply #11 - Aug 23rd, 2004, 7:43am

No I doubt it, shall take the laptop with me but at £7 hour for a broadband connection in the hotel Ithink its extracting the micheal a tad.

scruff

IP Logged

HM

Chief Turd Polisher

Reply #12 - Aug 23rd, 2004, 8:00am

[quote author=thescruff  link=1092952907/0#11 date=1093243427]No I doubt it, shall take the laptop with me but at £7 hour for a broadband connection in the hotel Ithink its extracting the micheal a tad [/quote]
Might be worth buying a radio interface. You might then be able to hook someone else's connection for free.

Andrew

If you aren't always sure of the right answer don't take up a career in the bomb squad
Thank User For This Post  
IP Logged

Beanzy
Reply #13 - Aug 23rd, 2004, 9:07am

Yep Scruff, When I'm up here working I just sit in a square with the WiFi card giving me 4 options with about 500k download speeds.  Grin super cool and smashing.... not a penny.

Where are you near and I'll see what's about if you have a WiFi card.

If not I'll point you to a tube station you can sit outside and probably get £30 per hour. Wink
« Last Edit: Aug 23rd, 2004, 9:07am by Beanzy »  
Thank User For This Post  
IP Logged

Dan

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

Reply #14 - Aug 23rd, 2004, 10:19pm

Handymac, can you give Scruff a call?

Go in peace
Thank User For This Post  
IP Logged

thescruff
Global Moderator
Trade Member
Author

Who said plumbing was
easy.

Reply #15 - Aug 27th, 2004, 6:26pm

Ok guy's so whats a radio interface/ wifi card and were shall i stick it  Grin

In Henley and Chelsea most of the time.

scruff
« Last Edit: Aug 28th, 2004, 9:14am by thescruff »  
IP Logged

Mud
Trade Member

Its just the depth that
varies!

Reply #16 - Aug 28th, 2004, 8:58am

Just getting back to point of fitting a customers 'own' gas appliance.  We don't like to fit stuff we haven't supplied either for the following reasons:

• We loose the profit in supplying the appliance which we then have to either charge more for the fitting or accept that should there be a warranty problem - we don't have the profit in the job to return - if its a fault with our work - fair enough, but if its a manufacturers fault then we loose out!
  • Whoever supplies it is liable for the warranty, if I supply it, I know its of good quality, I know where it's come from, how old it is, that it is puka etc and I will return to any problems.  However, if the customer supplies it and if it has a warranty problem, it is the customer's responsibility to organise the warranty repair with the manufacturer.  This always causes problems as they expect us to go out first even when we know from the symptoms that its not a problem with our installation.
  • Customers, by enlarge, tend to purchase cheaper end appliances which are either unreliable (we wouldn't recommend or fit them because we don't want to be going back to the inevitable repairs) and when we do have to return to repair said POS the parts are horrendously expensive - customer thinks they are being ripped off.
  • Customer has often done all the pipework up to the boiler themselves and we cannot guarrantee their work.  If existing gas pipework to the appliance position is correct size, thats no problem but if it needs upgrading (for boilers it often isn't so they replace it themselves in 22mm and expect us to just connect up at the boiler & the meter) we will not pass gas pipework that we have not installed.  At the end of the day - installer who passed it - his neck on the line if that gas pipework fails not the actual, non-registered customer who fitted it.  
  • I have already turned down several of these types of jobs because the origin of the boiler could not be established.
  • In the last 15 years, almost every job where the customer has supplied his own stuff has had major problems, not enough of this, wrong size that, boiler - incorrect flue, no flue extensions etc etc etc ad-nauseum and when you give them the bill with all the extras you had to purchase to finish the job - they don't want to pay, kick up a fusss, don't understand why this part or that part was needed . . . . .

Can of worms almost every time - don't need it.  There's too much work around at the moment to have to take a drop in profit just because the customer wants a cheap job done so many installers will charge a higher fee to fit only.

Sorry to sound pessimistic but years in this business has made me a little picky about this kind of thing (one bitten etc)

Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe. . . . &&&&Albert Einstein&&
Thank User For This Post  
IP Logged

Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print