Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
Welcome To Ask The Trades!
Apr 19th, 2024, 8:34am
Quote: I intend to live forever........So far, so good...

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Surrey Flange V Warix Flange (Read 13668 times)
DJS

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

Total Thanks: 0
For This Post: 0

Surrey Flange V Warix Flange
Aug 31st, 2004, 3:56pm

Hi,
I have bought a new Aqualisa power shower (1.5 bar) and already have a Surrey Flange fitted to the hot water cylinder. Aqualisa does not recommend using the Surrey Flange as they say it restricts the flow. They recommend the Warix Flange instead.
How much affect on the flow rate would the Surrey Flange actually have? Should I replace the Surrey with a Warix or is it not really worth the bother? It would involve a change of the pipe layout.
They also say copper pipe is better than plastic because again plastic restricts the flow. By how much? Would it really make such a big difference to the "power" of the shower?
Any info appreciated.
DJS.

Thank User For This Post  
IP Logged

PEDANTICVINDICTIVEMAN
Trade Member

Cant talk,old folks to
rip off and tanks to
pee in

Trade: Not Specified

Re: Surrey Flange V Warix Flange
Reply #1 - Aug 31st, 2004, 8:08pm

Cant see how plastic restricts the flow as you normally use less elbows and I reckon the bore is smoother, seems a strange comment !

If you cant find someone else to blame, run like fack.
Thank User For This Post  
IP Logged

Mud
Trade Member

Its just the depth that
varies!

Trade: Not Specified

Reply #2 - Sep 1st, 2004, 8:21pm

Don't know to be absolutely honest, one is a 'male' flange and the other is 'female (fitting) - can't really see how either should restrict the flow that much.  

The only thing that causes problems is the formation of air bubbles which can be drawn into the pump or the shower and create airl locks - as long as the pipe off the top of the cylinder continually rises upto the expansion tank you can take a tapping off that rising pipe - removing the necessity for the flange.
« Last Edit: Sep 1st, 2004, 8:22pm by Mud »  

Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe. . . . &&&&Albert Einstein&&
Thank User For This Post  
IP Logged

DJS

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

Reply #3 - Sep 2nd, 2004, 8:50am

Thanks for the info guys. I will probably try the Surrey Flange (as its already fitted). If it does cause a problem I will just have to fit an alternative.
Cheers. Smiley

Thank User For This Post  
IP Logged

MAB
Reply #4 - Sep 25th, 2004, 2:25pm

The only way I can see the Surrey causing a problem is if a LOT of water is demanded but there are two sizes, I nearly always fit the one with the larger inlet pipe.

Thank User For This Post  
IP Logged

thescruff
Global Moderator
Trade Member
Author

Who said plumbing was
easy.

Total Thanks: 147

Trade: Plumber

Reply #5 - Sep 25th, 2004, 4:31pm

[quote author=Mud  link=1093964165/0#2 date=1094066513]

The only thing that causes problems is the formation of air bubbles which can be drawn into the pump or the shower and create airl locks - as long as the pipe off the top of the cylinder continually rises upto the expansion tank you can take a tapping off that rising pipe - removing the necessity for the flange. [/quote]

Not if you want a trouble free install you can't.

scruff

Thank User For This Post View members image gallery  
IP Logged

JerryD
Reply #6 - Oct 8th, 2004, 11:15pm

Shouldn't take shower supply from the riser, it should have it's own dedicated hot supply.

We always fit an Essex Flange which means cutting a hole in the side of the hot cylinder but being on the side of the cylinder (near the top), it means no air can get in the hot pipe to the shower pump.

Also it's not affected by other hot taps being used elsewhere (which would happen if taken off the expansion pipe)

Thank User For This Post  
IP Logged

thescruff
Global Moderator
Trade Member
Author

Who said plumbing was
easy.

Total Thanks: 147

Trade: Plumber

Reply #7 - Oct 8th, 2004, 11:19pm

Essex are also recommended by all the pump makers as a first choice other than a secondary tapping, purpose made cylinder.

scruff

Thank User For This Post View members image gallery  
IP Logged

JerryD
Reply #8 - Oct 17th, 2004, 12:08pm

[quote author=DJS  link=1093964165/0#0 date=1093964165]
They also say copper pipe is better than plastic because again plastic restricts the flow. By how much? Would it really make such a big difference to the "power" of the shower?
Any info appreciated.
DJS.
[/quote]I've discovered the reason for this, the plastic pipe has the same outer diameter as the copper (that's how the fittings are interchangeable) but the plastic pipe has a slightly thicker wall.  Therefore the internal diameter of the plastic pipe is slightly less than the internal diameter of the copper pipe!!

Hope this answers the question

Thank User For This Post  
IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print