Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
Welcome To Ask The Trades!
Apr 25th, 2024, 12:36pm
Quote: Depression is merely anger without enthusiasm.

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
basement tanking (Read 9771 times)
jamandchips

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

Total Thanks: 0
For This Post: 0

basement tanking
Sep 14th, 2004, 2:18pm

Hi everyone
I need to tank my basement for a kitchen conversion - the house is terraced and on a slope, therefore suffering from penetrating damp on the uphill side where my house is below that of the neighbours.  having had several people around to look at it i am somewhat confused by the plethora of different remedies people are suggesting.
I am proposing to fix a plastic membrane on the wall affected by the penetrating damp and put a paint-on tanking coat on the floor before tiling over.  I would very much like to hear what the experts think of this.  thanks for your help.

Thank User For This Post  
IP Logged

woodsmith
Global Moderator
Trade Member
Author

Total Thanks: 135

Trade: Joiner

Re: basement tanking
Reply #1 - Sep 16th, 2004, 7:59am

I used to live on an estate where every house had an underground car port, over the years they were converted into living space. Lots of different systems of tanking by coating the walls were used and I think they all caused big problems.

If you are going to convert this space get expert advice, the local Building Controll Officer at the Council  is your first port of call.

Currently the prefered method seems to be;

line wall with building paper.
Screw tanalised battens horizontally to wall if needed.
Build stud wall of 3x2 or 4x2 tanalised (depends on dimensions); dpc underneath.
Fit Kingspan insulation in the wall then vapour barrier.
Plasterboard.

Make sure there is ventilation behind the stud wall.

Do it right or don't do it at all, is my advice.

Thank User For This Post View members image gallery  
IP Logged

Robbo
Reply #2 - Sep 24th, 2004, 2:38am

The trouble with securing battens into the wall of a basement in particular is that this becomes a point of ingress for water bearing in mind there is alot of pressure from the damp behind theese walls and water is a thin man and will find its way through at the weakest points.
There are a number of products of a bitumen type tanking membrane that you paint onto cleaned walls (wire brushed)  then when still wet you dash with sharp sand which when dry acts as a key for a render coat , I have used this product with no problems though it is at the lower end of the price range and Sika do a number of products that may be of better use on a bigger scale job as this is, or a plasterer could tank it using a 1:1 then2:1 then3:1 render coat. As for floors try mastic ashphalt which is a hot pour self leveller ...this works a treat, try the yellow pages for a contractor.

Thank User For This Post  
IP Logged

dj
Reply #3 - Sep 24th, 2004, 4:53am

just to go over what robbo said.....
when i last did a cellar i cleaned walls, painted bitumen, threw sand at it for the key, scratch coat, paint bitumen again. after all that render the top coat.
all render must be waterproofed. then plaster skim if required.

i have never had a complaint/problem with this method.

dj.

Thank User For This Post  
IP Logged

marco

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

Total Thanks: 0

Reply #4 - Dec 16th, 2005, 6:40pm

Hi currently doing my first basemnt tanking, and after a lot of reserch, i came out woth what i am doing now;
1.Hack surfice to brickwork
2. Scrach coat of render with sika.
3. 2 coats of Vandex bb 75 have look at this site http://www.safeguardeurope.com/applications/basement_waterproofing.php
4. Top coat of render
5 finally plaster when dry.

for the floor, they seal a menbrane that would go, under the screed, at least this way you'll get some garantees as this product has been tested in reservours and places like that.
there was also the opction of putting a menbrane on the walls, but that wasent that good plus the fact that you would be loosing some space.

Thank User For This Post  
IP Logged

01Sam
Reply #5 - Oct 25th, 2010, 9:55am

Hey..I have heard a lot about basement tanking. Tanking protection provides a continuous barrier system which excludes water. Well one thing I would like to add is that it is the best technique of water proofing a basement. This can be installed on the exterior face of the wall and floors, and onto the internal face of the wall as well. It is defined by the fact that it is bonded to the substrate and tries to hold water back. There are failures in the basement because of some defects, which includes the incomplete water barrier due to the failure of the tanking or an inadequate and incomplete link with the ground floor DPC.  Smiley

Thank User For This Post  
IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print