Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
Welcome To Ask The Trades!
Apr 25th, 2024, 7:57pm
Quote: If you want the rainbow, you got to put up with the rain.

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
3 phase motor supply fuses (Read 6543 times)
RES

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

Total Thanks: 0
For This Post: 0

3 phase motor supply fuses
Sep 26th, 2004, 5:05pm

Had to attend a ship yesterday where one of the fuses supplying a radar motor had been continually blowing.  It was always the same fuse, but the motor kept running off just two phases.  I've got it in my head that there is a reg regarding all three phases being disconnected to a motor should a fault occur on ANY of the phases.  Can't find it in the 16th, or 6th ship's regs.  Am I imagining it, or has anyone else heard or know about this?

No rompiere mis colliones, por favor
Thank User For This Post  
IP Logged

ChubbyPhaseWire
Re: 3 phase motor supply fuses
Reply #1 - Sep 26th, 2004, 7:46pm

Can't find it in the 16th, or 6th ship's regs.  Am I imagining it, or has anyone else heard or know about this?

110-02-01 The Regulations do not apply to the following installations:

(iv) equipment on board ships Embarrassed

Thank User For This Post  
IP Logged

mark

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

Reply #2 - Sep 26th, 2004, 7:47pm

the 16th edition regs do not apply to equipment on board ships

ive never heard of such a reg in the i6th edition  or on any 3 phase supplys

Thank User For This Post  
IP Logged

plugwash
Administrator

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

Trade: Not Specified

Reply #3 - Sep 26th, 2004, 7:48pm

iirc the motor control gear is supposed to conatain specially designed overload protection

http://www.tlc-direct.co.uk/Book/7.15.1.htm mentions this

Thank User For This Post WWW plugwash plugwash 107767391 peter_m_green_zyworld_com plugwash  
IP Logged

mark

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

Reply #4 - Sep 26th, 2004, 7:54pm

a lot of 3 phase motors will run on just 2 phase  but the motor will over heat

another possible cause could be the a short circuit on the stator of the motor which causes a phase fuse to blow but the motor will continue to run

Thank User For This Post  
IP Logged

The_Trician
Trade Member

Total Thanks: 8

Trade: Electrician

Reply #5 - Sep 26th, 2004, 8:22pm

Hi RES - Long time no hear mate!
Motor start fuses are the ones you need - can't remember exactly but I think they go by 'M' rating simialr to mcbs.

Same phase fuse blowing each time? What kind of motor is it mate? Direct online star-connected?

Check the starter contacts for burning - particularly on the phase which is blowing the fuse, also check for the usual stuff - duff connections, loose tails behind the motor terminal block where the winding leads are connected, starter coil connections - if it's 415V you'll have the coil connected across 2 of the phases.
Do insulation resistance and continuity tests too.
1 ohm for winding continuity is an average reading.

Don't know much about ship's radar motors and associated kit, but is there any kind of braking by phase reversal or plugging contactors?

Let us know what you find.

TT

Thats the trouble with a colostomy - you can never find the shoes to match the bag.......
Thank User For This Post  
IP Logged

RES

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

Reply #6 - Sep 26th, 2004, 8:24pm

I was aware that the 16th edition does not apply to ships, thank you.  However the 6th edition for regulations for the electrical and electronic equipment of ships does.  My question was whether or not anyone else has heard of a regulation governing disconnection of all three phases, although the fault may only be on one , ie a three pole breaker not three mcbs or fuses.  As was stated a motor will still run on two phases, but will get very hot.

Thanks. Undecided

Thank User For This Post  
IP Logged

RES

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

Reply #7 - Sep 26th, 2004, 8:27pm

Hello Trician

How's life?  I did manage to fix the radar motor, it's just that it was protected by individual fuses that bothered me.  It's probably perfectly okay, but I would have preferred to see a three pole type c/d mcb.  Especially as the fuses were in the gearbox at the top a mast.
Smiley

Thank User For This Post  
IP Logged

The_Trician
Trade Member

Total Thanks: 8

Reply #8 - Sep 26th, 2004, 10:48pm

Hi RES - Glad to hear you resolved the problem mate.
Am thinking that one of the possible reasons they don't fit a TP mcb is because of potential ingres of seawater which would shag the internals. A fuse either conducts or it doesn't - no moving parts!

Can't comment on ships electrical regs but I can see your point.

Laters

TT

Thats the trouble with a colostomy - you can never find the shoes to match the bag.......
Thank User For This Post  
IP Logged

Beanzy
Reply #9 - Sep 27th, 2004, 12:04am

In the 6th ed 8.8 does say "In poly-phase motor circuits adequate precautions sould be taken to prevent damage due to single phasing........"   but that's about as close as I can get to what you say re the dropped phase.

However if there is no over-heating under normal use then the motor may be over rated for the weight of the armature anyway. Would have to watch it in storm conditions as there's quite a lot of leverage on one of the larger ones in a wind.

If it's only the same fuse blowing then, it may be that the axel is bent and over-stressing the coils at one phase in the rotation.

I'd recommend a swap-out of the motor and shaft unittil so it can be sent back to the manufacturers to be checked. Depends how tight the set-up is financially.............. oh for gods sakes listen to me ....... it's a ship of course there's no money for maintainance  Roll Eyes  
« Last Edit: Sep 27th, 2004, 12:07am by Beanzy »  
Thank User For This Post  
IP Logged

LSpark
Global Moderator
Trade Member
Author

Total Thanks: 3

London, UK, United Kingdom
London, UK
United Kingdom

Reply #10 - Sep 27th, 2004, 6:29pm

nice one beanzy  Smiley

Thank User For This Post View members image gallery  
IP Logged

RES

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

Reply #11 - Sep 27th, 2004, 8:24pm

As I've already mentioned, I fixed the problem, it was just the the individual fusing that was of concern to me.
FYI, you are quite correct about some ship'sbudgets being fairly tight, But it's quite amazing how much money is suddenly available when the ship can't sail because his radar's knackered.

MCA are based in Southampton, and they just love to pop down the docks and check out the ship's equipment.  You should the look of delight on the old man's face when I turn up. Cheesy

Thank User For This Post  
IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print