Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
Welcome To Ask The Trades!
Apr 19th, 2024, 9:10am
Quote: Half the people you know are below average.

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Shared bathroom fan (Read 2808 times)
JerryD
GDPR opt-out

Shared bathroom fan
Sep 28th, 2004, 10:46pm

I have to wire up one timer type extractor fan with ducting to serve two bathrooms on different floors of a building.

Each bathroom has a central ceiling rose and a pull cord switch.

I cannot see how to wire the fan without causing the light in one bathroom to switch on/off the light in the other bathroom!!

Having looke in another similar building I see there are three wires into one of the ceiling switches (can't get access to the other bathroom), does this give any clues??

IP Logged

supra59
GDPR opt-out

Re: Shared bathroom fan
Reply #1 - Sep 29th, 2004, 12:34am

hi jerry im asuming your a spark are both bathroom lights on the same circuit ,if so you could use two small n/o contactors  then using a three core cable from both roses connect the switch wires from both bathrooms  to the coil side of each contactor then the neutrals to the other side of the coil, then a perm feed to the contact in side of the contactors  and then contact side out of both contactors to the fan switch connection then a perm and a neutral to the fan  

« Last Edit: Sep 29th, 2004, 1:12am by supra59 »  

IP Logged

plugwash
Administrator

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

Total Thanks: 0
For This Post: 0

Trade: Not Specified

Re: Shared bathroom fan[[[[[[[[[[[[[==============
Reply #2 - Sep 29th, 2004, 1:29am

hmm you would need two such contactors to prevent backfeeding both ways

the easy soloution is to use dp switches (mk do dp pull cords  http://www.tlc-direct.co.uk/Main_Index/Wiring_Accessories_Menu_Index/White_Mk_Ac...
then you can use one pole of the switch to control the lights and the other to control the fan

best to have the two lights on the same cuircuit if possible to aviod having multiple cuircuits in one lightswitch box

Thank User For This Post WWW plugwash plugwash 107767391 peter_m_green_zyworld_com plugwash  
IP Logged

JerryD
Reply #3 - Sep 29th, 2004, 11:19pm

Thanks guys, very helpful.  I think the way it has been done in the other buildings is the double pole switching suggested by plugwash.

I don't know why I didn't think of that!!

Looking at your sketch (thanks for taking the time to do this), I assume I could link the hard live across the switch poles rather than take two live feeds from the ceiling rose.

Anyway, many thanks, you've solved my problem, I've spent ages trying to work this out.

Thank User For This Post  
IP Logged

tellondon
Reply #4 - Sep 29th, 2004, 11:33pm

I think you should stick a label on this indicating it could be fed from two different circuits

Thank User For This Post  
IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print