Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
Welcome To Ask The Trades!
Apr 19th, 2024, 11:14am
Quote: 24 hours in a day and 24 beers in a case. Hmmmm.....

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Regs (Read 10386 times)
Jim

Good Job!!!!

Total Thanks: 0
For This Post: 0

Regs
Oct 12th, 2004, 9:15pm

Having just built an extension on the back of my house that will be used as a kitchen/diner and is nearing completion I thought I would share some of the `ways round` or `stupid` (his words, not mine) regs that the building inspector (very nice chap he was too) imparted on me during construction.
First (and best of all), my plans specified a min 50mm cavity wall, as will all new builds from plans submitted prior to Jan 2004
We dug the foundations and called the inspector to pass them, he did so without much hassle apart from wanting to small pool of water removed from the bottom and we procceded to have a little chat (as you do) and I mentioned that it was a pain in the neck having to build two extentions, one inside the other (cavity) as prior to the new regs we just used to build in 8 and a half inch block work.
His reply was " well you can still build in solid block but you need to insulate inside with 35mm thermal plasterboard which is very expensive"
I enquired about the price of the board and found that it would work out at approx £250 to board the inside with this board, a small price to pay for half the work load me thinks so that`s how it was done.
Drains no longer need to be leak tested as long as the components are made by a recognised maker.
Electrics in new builds will become part of the building reg as from jan 2005 (a different reg controls electrics in change of use or established buildings) and if you havent got a `spark` to pass and give you a certificate for your instalation then the council will charge you £100 to inspect it up to a max of two times (£200) Don`t know what happens if it fails twice.
You must have a cooker hood ducted to the outside in a new build kitchen.
A utility room must have an extractor fitted to remove steam (?)
It seems that you can also direct rainwater into a soil drain now as this is what I did ( and he passed it).
Perhaps I just got a good inspector.

>>>>JIM<<<<
Thank User For This Post  
IP Logged

Dewy
Re: Regs
Reply #1 - Oct 12th, 2004, 10:25pm

Am I having deja vu or did I read this identical text on the SF forum? Wink  ??? Roll Eyes Grin

Thank User For This Post  
IP Logged

Jim

Good Job!!!!

Reply #2 - Oct 12th, 2004, 10:31pm

You did Dewy, just putting the word around Grin.
Have done a small picture diary of the build if your interested:

http://community.webshots.com/album/199600620gQdvuR?33

PS have a look at my bike while your there  8)

>>>>JIM<<<<
Thank User For This Post  
IP Logged

Robbo
Reply #3 - Oct 12th, 2004, 10:32pm

[quote author=Dewy  link=1097612109/0#1 date=1097616306]Am I having deja vu or did I read this identical text on the SF forum? Wink  ??? Roll Eyes Grin [/quote]

Was thinking the very same thing not two minutes before your post!!!

Thank User For This Post  
IP Logged

Jim

Good Job!!!!

Reply #4 - Oct 12th, 2004, 10:33pm

PPS and my workshop Wink
Screwfix site is not getting the coverage that it`s used to (since the move) so had to look around for somthing better.
And on the subject of DeJa Vue, this site reminds me of the UK Workshop site with all those familiar names Grin
« Last Edit: Oct 12th, 2004, 10:55pm by Jim »  

>>>>JIM<<<<
Thank User For This Post  
IP Logged

Jim

Good Job!!!!

Reply #5 - Oct 12th, 2004, 11:25pm

PPPS what does I love YaBB 1G - SP1! mean ???

>>>>JIM<<<<
Thank User For This Post  
IP Logged

HandyJon
Reply #6 - Oct 12th, 2004, 11:29pm

what does I love YaBB 1G - SP1! mean  

It the default "personal text" supplied by the forum sw, until you change it. Do this by clicking on "Profile" at the top of the page.
« Last Edit: Oct 12th, 2004, 11:30pm by HandyJon »  
Thank User For This Post  
IP Logged

Dewy
Reply #7 - Oct 13th, 2004, 2:40am

[quote author=Jim  link=1097612109/0#4 date=1097616834]PPS and my workshop Wink
Screwfix site is not getting the coverage that it`s used to (since the move) so had to look around for somthing better.
And on the subject of DeJa Vue, this site reminds me of the UK Workshop site with all those familiar names Grin [/quote]
There are a number here who use ukw and also SFX using the same names.
Some use a different name on here from UKW so might creep up on you Jim.  Wink Grin
« Last Edit: Oct 13th, 2004, 2:40am by Dewy »  
Thank User For This Post  
IP Logged

cupid

stand&be counted? sod
that,lie down no  number?

Reply #8 - Oct 13th, 2004, 4:34pm

It seems that you can also direct rainwater into a soil drain now as this is what I did ( and he passed it).

Jim you jammy git, i have just done my extention almost the same as yourself, i had to dig my soakaway 5m from buildings 5m from boundrys 1.5 cube Angry you did get a GOOD inspector  8)

cupid

Give me the MEN i will do the job MYSELF!!
Thank User For This Post  
IP Logged

HM

Chief Turd Polisher

Reply #9 - Oct 13th, 2004, 5:50pm

Quote:

Is this kosha?

I've been thinking about putting a cover over the walkway between our back door and the garage door, but one of the things that has put me off has been that I knew I couldn't tap into the downpipe from the roof to handle the runoff, and was looking at having to dig a soakaway.

Have they changed the rools on this recently then?

Andrew

If you aren't always sure of the right answer don't take up a career in the bomb squad
Thank User For This Post  
IP Logged

Jim

Good Job!!!!

Reply #10 - Oct 13th, 2004, 7:42pm

[quote author=cupid  link=1097612109/0#8 date=1097681644]It seems that you can also direct rainwater into a soil drain now as this is what I did ( and he passed it).

Jim you jammy git, i have just done my extention almost the same as yourself, i had to dig my soakaway 5m from buildings 5m from boundrys 1.5 cube Angry you did get a GOOD inspector  8)

cupid [/quote]

Thing is we have a double drainage system, soil at the back and rainwater at the front, ground is solid clay which made a soakaway out of the question and it is impractical to run the rain water to the front of the house so it was the only and best option (thank god  Grin)

>>>>JIM<<<<
Thank User For This Post  
IP Logged

billythekid
Trade Member

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

Trade: Plumber

Reply #11 - Oct 14th, 2004, 12:03am

from approved doc H

2.2 Some public sewers may carry foul water and rainwater in the same pipes. If the drainage system
is also to carry rainwater to such a sewer, the following provisions still apply but the pipe sizes may
need to be increased to carry the combined flows (see paragraph 2.35). In some circumstances,
separate drainage should still be provided (see Approved Document H5).

and

2.8 Combined and rainwater sewers are designed to surcharge (i.e. the water level in the manhole rises
above the top of the pipe) in heavy rainfall. Some foul sewers also receive rainwater and therefore
surcharge. For lowlying sites (where the ground level of the site or the level of a basement is below
the ground level at the point where the drainage connects to the public sewer) care should be taken to
ensure that the property is not at increased risk of flooding. In all such cases the sewerage undertaker
should be consulted to determine the extent and possible frequency of the likely surcharge.
2.9 For basements containing sanitary appliances, where the risk of flooding due to surcharge of the
sewer is considered by the sewerage undertaker to be high, the drainage from the basement should be
pumped (see paragraphs 2.36 to 2.39). Where the risk is considered to be low an anti-flooding valve
should be installed on the drainage from the basement.
2.10 For other low lying sites (i.e. not basements) where risk is considered low, sufficient protection
for the building may be possible by provision of a gully outside the building at least 75mm below the
floor level. This should be positioned so that any flooding from the gully will not damage any
buildings. In higher risk areas an anti-flooding valve should be provided, or the drainage system
pumped (see paragraph 2.36 to 2.39).
2.11 Anti-flooding valves should preferably be of the double valve type, and should be suitable for
foul water and have a manual closure device. They should comply with the requirements of prEN
13564. A single valve should not normally serve more than one building. A notice should be provided
inside the building to indicate that the system is drained through such a valve. This notice should also
indicate the location of any manual override, and include advice on necessary maintenance.

So the answer is yeah its kosher, if yer drains can handle it. In fact most houses here are combined rainwater+grey water. Not WCs though.
« Last Edit: Oct 14th, 2004, 12:04am by billythekid »  
Thank User For This Post  
IP Logged

Robbo
Reply #12 - Oct 14th, 2004, 12:07am

It seems that this rule varies both regionally and to individual inspectors. I posted on another forum stateing that top water was not allowed into the drainage system but many people stated that their inspector allowed them to do just that, so I guess its just pot luck.

Thank User For This Post  
IP Logged

billythekid
Trade Member

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

Reply #13 - Oct 14th, 2004, 12:39am

quite possibly robbo, by-laws and the like probably come into force regarding this. My own house has combination 3½" rainwater and sink/bath/basin/shower water with seperate 4" foul(WC) stack

Thank User For This Post  
IP Logged

Charlie_Farley
Reply #14 - Nov 27th, 2004, 10:15pm

Having just built an extension on the back of my house that will be used as a kitchen/diner and is nearing completion I thought I would share some of the `ways round` or `stupid` (his words, not mine) regs that the building inspector (very nice chap he was too) imparted on me during construction.
First (and best of all), my plans specified a min 50mm cavity wall, as will all new builds from plans submitted prior to Jan 2004

He meant to state that the wall must have a minimum 50mm 'air space' which does not include insulation

We dug the foundations and called the inspector to pass them, he did so without much hassle apart from wanting to small pool of water removed from the bottom and we procceded to have a little chat (as you do) and I mentioned that it was a pain in the neck having to build two extentions, one inside the other (cavity) as prior to the new regs we just used to build in 8 and a half inch block work.
His reply was " well you can still build in solid block but you need to insulate inside with 35mm thermal plasterboard which is very expensive"

He meant to say that walls can indeed be block built but must achieve the Uvalue standard of =< 0.30 and this can be achieved with a combination of high density thermal blocks and insulation

I enquired about the price of the board and found that it would work out at approx £250 to board the inside with this board, a small price to pay for half the work load me thinks so that`s how it was done.

Drains no longer need to be leak tested as long as the components are made by a recognised maker.

[He has been drinking or smoking naughty nettles
ALL drains have to tested and only a fool will not thoroughly test all of the drains and manholes (err sorry thats should read inspection chambers).  Either water test or/and air testing

Electrics in new builds will become part of the building reg as from jan 2005 (a different reg controls electrics in change of use or established buildings) and if you havent got a `spark` to pass and give you a certificate

Again he meant to say that a revision in Part P of the bregs states that all new circuits in a domestic installation must be certified by an approved electrician from Jan 05

for your instalation then the council will charge you £100 to inspect it up to a max of two times (£200) Don`t know what happens if it fails twice.

You must have a cooker hood ducted to the outside in a new build kitchen.

Spot on

A utility room must have an extractor fitted to remove steam (?)

Yep - Thats another one

....If you want to be fined upto £10k per connection except where no other 'reasonable' form of disposal can be effected as in soak away or other means

Nope! He's a facking nutter.

« Last Edit: Nov 27th, 2004, 10:16pm by Charlie_Farley »  
Thank User For This Post  
IP Logged

billythekid
Trade Member

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

Reply #15 - Nov 30th, 2004, 4:53pm

I see CF has found his way over here, nice to see ya Charlie.

Thank User For This Post  
IP Logged

Jim

Good Job!!!!

Reply #16 - Nov 30th, 2004, 9:09pm

CF alias the looney clown building inspector he he he (well he made me laugh anyway Grin)

>>>>JIM<<<<
Thank User For This Post  
IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print