Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
Welcome To Ask The Trades!
Apr 20th, 2024, 5:52am
Quote: You can keep quiet & let everyone think you're a fool or you can speak and confirm their thoughts.

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Renovating Brickwork (Read 2904 times)
mightyacorn

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

Total Thanks: 0
For This Post: 0

Renovating Brickwork
Oct 14th, 2004, 8:35am

???
I am in the process of removing old rendering (which resembles polytex) from the outside on my red brick house.
I am air chiselling the old rendering off, and using a whizzer to remove the mortar. I intend to leave the brick bare and repoint using black mortar. However, I have a problem, in some areas, having removed the rendering there is left a white residue which I think is probably Unibond or similar. Does anyone know a way of removing this white residue other than sand-blasting?

Thank User For This Post  
IP Logged

billythekid
Trade Member

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

Total Thanks: 0
For This Post: 0

Trade: Plumber

Re: Renovating Brickwork
Reply #1 - Oct 14th, 2004, 2:35pm

have you tried those acid washes they use for cleaning brickwork? I've never used one but they are supposed to be good, robbo will know better.

Thank User For This Post  
IP Logged

Robbo
Reply #2 - Oct 15th, 2004, 7:29pm

As billy says you could try a cem -clean which you apply diluted and wash or brush of off (Not a harsh brush though), sand blasting would probably be a bit severe on the face of the bricks though maybe a power washer????Trouble with rendered brickwork it is done as a permanent cover so is difficult if not nigh on impossible to clean up.

Any ideas d.j.?

Thank User For This Post  
IP Logged

dj
Reply #3 - Oct 15th, 2004, 8:18pm

i am at a bit of a loss to another answer apart from what's already been said. only advice that i can give is that if it is polybond then it will be clear when dry so i doubt that it is polybond.
i personally think it may be a resedue that has bled from the cement, therefore maybe an acid brick cleaner.
then move on to more brutal methods...jetwasher first, no joy then the sand blaster, stil no joy, then a needle gun. the needle gun is really a last resort because it is an animal and it will actually take some of the face off the brick it is also unsuitable for a lot of brickwork

i must stress that sand blasting and the needle gun are very harsh methods, so only use on a last resort

Thank User For This Post  
IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print