Waste pipe sizes? (Read 5366 times)
big-e

The (piss)artist formerly
known as Mice!

Total Thanks: 0
For This Post: 0

Waste pipe sizes?
Nov 3rd, 2004, 11:14am

I am replacing a run of waste pipe from a hand basin to the soil stack in a 15yr old house.  The trap is 32mm which then increases to approx. 36mm and connects to the stack.  I can only find fittings in either 32 or 40mm, is this an old pipe size and will I be able to get an adaptor to fit into the stack with 32mm? ???

All help appreciated.
big-e

OOPS!
Thank User For This Post  
IP Logged

billythekid
Trade Member

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

Trade: Plumber

Re: Waste pipe sizes?
Reply #1 - Nov 3rd, 2004, 11:49am

plastic waste is funny stuff when sizing, you need all the same fittings and pipe for compatability really. Some pipe was measured O/D outside diameter, which has become the norm. other pipe, lead and some early plastic for example, was measured internal diameter. both are 32, or inch and quarter, but neither fit each other!  Renew the run in 32, solvent weld or compression, i dont generally recommend push fit coz its a slightly different size again, and makes it difficult to work on in future. what kind of stack is it? if its PVC all you will need is a boss adapter in 32, if its cast, dig out the old joint and rope and putty joint it. others have other opinions on joints to cast but thats my personal taste. Since its 15 year old im guessing that its probably plastic. The general answer to your question is yes, you can get a 32mm adapter for pvc, either a strap boss with a boss adapter or a branch again with the 32mm adapter. hopefully you can just go in where the old one was with a new adapter if needed.
More info on the connection might help.

Hope this sorts you out

btk

« Last Edit: Nov 3rd, 2004, 11:49am by billythekid »  
Thank User For This Post  
IP Logged

big-e

The (piss)artist formerly
known as Mice!

Re: Waste pipe sizes?
Reply #2 - Nov 3rd, 2004, 5:11pm

Cheers BTK,

The stack is PVC,  I will do the run in 32mm and join the stack with an adaptor.

Big-e

OOPS!
Thank User For This Post  
IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print