Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
Welcome To Ask The Trades!
Apr 19th, 2024, 12:56am
Quote: Peace is a period of cheating between two rounds of fighting - Ambrose Bierce

Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print
Double Glazing (Read 13778 times)
ckelly0172

Total Thanks: 0
For This Post: 0

Double Glazing
Nov 5th, 2004, 4:04pm

???
I am soon gonna be attempting to fit my own double glazing. Could anyone give me some advice on what fittings to use and things i need ot lookout for.
Much obliged
Craig

Thank User For This Post  
IP Logged

jasonB
Re: Double Glazing
Reply #1 - Nov 5th, 2004, 4:57pm

Thank User For This Post  
IP Logged

JerryD
Reply #2 - Nov 5th, 2004, 4:57pm

I assume by 'double glazing' you mean you're replacing the windows? (not just the glass?)

Assuming it is the windows you are changing, you have to notify Building Control at your local council as all window installations must either be installed by a FENSA registered contractor or else be inspected by your Building Inspector, for which they charge a fee.

There are so many things you need to know about the installation that I could spend all evening here typing 'how to do it'.  If you really don't know anything about the removal and installation of new windows I would suggest not doing it.  Fitters aren't that expensive and can install a house full of windows in a couple of days.  You then have a FENSA guarantee as well.

If you really want to do it yourself then good luck!

Thank User For This Post  
IP Logged

ckelly0172

Reply #3 - Nov 6th, 2004, 12:08pm

Thanks for the replies chaps. I'm aware of the FENSA regs and obviously not being accredited I'll be having the building inspector round after the fitting.
Jerry, I am replacing all the windows, and i am (I think anyway) quite technically competant in most trades. I just wondered if there was anything particular i need to look out for.
Cheers
Craig

Thank User For This Post  
IP Logged

JerryD
Reply #4 - Nov 6th, 2004, 12:28pm

Well if you're determined to do this then really there are no special tricks to know about except:

If the house is rendered externally you may have a problem getting the new windows in.

The current window boards may be glued and/or pinned to the old windows.

The current window boards have a tongue on them which has to be removed if you're fitting upvc as the upvc don't have a rebate for this.

Egress hinges are need upstairs in certain locations for fire escape.

Trickle ventilation may be needed. Some building inspectors are happy with just the 'night vent' setting on the handle whereas others want a proper trickle vent too.

Cut the old frames out, and don't lever against the outer brickwork or you'll damage the brick quoins on the outer reveal.

The new windows may be slimmer so you have to decide whether to bring them back to the old plaster internally or keep them in the same position externally as the old ones. This may mean making good to plaster internally.

Making good to plaster internally sounds easy but you may have some of the external brickwork showing in this 'gap'. This can cause damp on the inner plasterwork if this is not done properly (capilliary damp).

Access?  It is usual to replace windows from the inside but you will need to get to the outside of the windows too for glazing.  Is access easy?

Big sashes need 'heel and toeing' when fitting the glass.

How do you intend to fix the frames. Fischer type fixings?  

How's your siliconing?  Make a mess of this externally and you have spoiled the whole job.

You'll need glazing packers, the correct width and thickness.

Do the upstairs windows first, then if you drop anything it will only damage the old windows, not the new ones.

Can't think of anything else just now........  Smiley
« Last Edit: Nov 6th, 2004, 12:29pm by JerryD »  
Thank User For This Post  
IP Logged

ckelly0172

Reply #5 - Nov 6th, 2004, 2:21pm

Thanks Jerry...
The house is 1968 build, normal 3 bed  semi, so no sash's luckily Smiley It is rendered upstairs at the front but needs re-doing anyhow so i won't  be bothered about any mess I make.
When you say 'window boards' do you mean the internal sils? Coudl you please elaborate further on the tongue of the boards, will I have to remove them all, don't really want to be doing this as I was just going to glue upvc sils over them (the internal sils that is).
I'm having escape windows in each of the bedrooms and air vents in the bathroom and kitchen.
The new windows are to be internally glazed making it easier, as I have very large bedroom windows and don't fancy climbing a ladder with them!! Access is relatively easy.
as regard to fixing the frames, i see screwfix sells 'window anchors' of various sizes, would you recommend any size or anything else?
I should be receiving the glazing packers and I'm aware to square the whole glazing up before clipping in the beads. I am a little concerned of what to use to pack/wedge the whole frame before screwing it to the brickwork, does it matter what i use? (building regs??)
Thanks for your help.
Craig

Thank User For This Post  
IP Logged

JerryD
Reply #6 - Nov 6th, 2004, 5:11pm

The term 'sash' means the side hinged opening bit of the window, I think you're  thinking of 'sliding sash'.  The opening sashes are the bits that need heel/toe treatment when glazing.

Window boards are indeed the inner cills. See the piccy below, there is a tongue on the back of the window board (cill) which fits into a rebate on the back of the old windows. This has to be chiselled off.

You may find that your house doesn't have this type of cill fixing (due to its age) but it's no problem to chisel these tongues off, especially if you intend to cover them with upvc cills as any damage you do to the window board won't be seen.

The frame fixings want to be 120 mm x 10mm (or longer), with minimum 2 each side of a normal 1200 high frame, more if the frame is much taller. Drill through the frame into the center of a full brick rather than into a half brick or a mortar joint. When tightening these fixing the jambs will distort.  Just tighten them enough to start the distortion, then back off a bit to let the upvc go back into shape.  The fixings can be used to center the frame in the opening.  Don't fall into the trap of having all fixings over tight as this will bow the frame outwards.

There are no regs regarding what you pack the frame with during installation but you have to be careful the frame doesn't fall out while you're reaching for the drill or something!  If I'm on my own I clamp a sash-cramp to the face brickwork through the window and onto the inner plaster.  This stops the frame falling out.  You can then wedge with plastic or timber wedges as required.  Exp foam is used a lot as this really grips like the proverbial but use too much and it's a disaster  Grin

I find the best way is to wedge upwards only, banging wedges under the cill where ther are jambs (most rigid part).  This holds the frame in place, do the final plumbing up using a white rubber mallet, drill and fix one fixing first, re-check all is plumb and level then fix another, re-check again and so on.

I would recommend fixing the smallest frame upstairs first, this gives you a chance to get the hang of things.

One thing, many houses don't have lintels over the outer brickwork over frames.  The original window was used as the lintel!  Take the window out and you can have problems, especially on wider openings.  Check that the lintel does support the front brickwork before taking the windows out.

Silicone seal everything externally, this helps draughtproof the installation.

Thank User For This Post  
IP Logged

jasonB
Reply #7 - Nov 6th, 2004, 7:11pm

I used to do a few windows before FENSA came out, agree with what JerryD says but also:

If the gaps are large get some UPVC trim section, this is stuck to the frame with mitre fast, leaving just a small gap to silicon.

Window anchors are better than normal frame fixings as these do not pull the frame as they are tightened.

Screwfixes plastic packers # 12766 & 11427 are good as they clip round the fixing and dont all out.

Jason

Thank User For This Post  
IP Logged

HandyJon
Reply #8 - Nov 6th, 2004, 11:02pm

[quote author=JerryD  link=1099670694/0#6 date=1099761101]Drill through the frame into the center of a full brick rather than into a half brick or a mortar joint. When tightening these fixing the jambs will distort.  Just tighten them enough to start the distortion, then back off a bit to let the upvc go back into shape.  The fixings can be used to center the frame in the opening.  Don't fall into the trap of having all fixings over tight as this will bow the frame outwards. [/quote]

To get round this, and if the wall is a cavity one, then you can screw in some 2x2 to the outside wall (again not on a half brick or joint) just inside the cavity. Make sure this is level and then you can screw the frame to this batten with not too much worrying about twisting the frame.

Thank User For This Post  
IP Logged

Gromit
Reply #9 - Nov 9th, 2004, 8:18pm

Quote:
You'll need glazing packers, the correct width and thickness.

What are these??

Thank User For This Post  
IP Logged

JerryD
Reply #10 - Nov 9th, 2004, 11:21pm

Plastic spacers.  You buy them in thicknesses from 1mm to 6mm usually.  I buy 2000 in an 'assortment' bag for about £15.

There are various sizes available (apart from the thickness)

see this link:

www.prismprofiles.com/

Thank User For This Post  
IP Logged

ckelly0172

Reply #11 - Nov 12th, 2004, 5:13pm

Hi Jerry,
If I'm to use 120mm x 10mm fixings, what bit size would you recommend.
Also, could you please elaborate further on the 'heel and toeing' when fitting glass.
Thanks
Craig

Thank User For This Post  
IP Logged

JerryD
Reply #12 - Nov 12th, 2004, 5:27pm

You need a 10mm drill bit for 10mm fixings!! (and about 150mm long is this case)

Regarding heel/toeing, see this link, it explains it better than I could  Grin

http://www.double-glazing-web.co.uk/trouble_locking_door_dropped.htm
« Last Edit: Nov 12th, 2004, 5:28pm by JerryD »  
Thank User For This Post  
IP Logged

ckelly0172

Reply #13 - Nov 14th, 2004, 11:11pm

Unfortunately that links doesn't have the pic inserted, but i think i get the idea.
Windows arrive tomorrow, thanks for all your help.
Craig

Thank User For This Post  
IP Logged

diy_guy
Reply #14 - Nov 19th, 2004, 11:21pm

Glad I checked back on this site.

Have nearly completed my house re-wire (hence earlier posts in Electrical) and am now getting quotes for replacement PVC double glazing for whole house (3 bed link detached) and the garage window and door.

Very interesting to read some of the insider tips. My question is "what should I ask a prospective D/G salesman?"

Some questions I've posed already include:

- are you Fensa registered? (even though I now know they won't help with botch jobs)
- what's your profile like (70mm? 24mm or 28mm glass cross-section? Do you use pure/virgin plastic in your U-PVC/PVC-U? Internally beaded for extra security? How many locking points and of what type? Pilkington K glass all round? Toughened glass where necessary? )
- company history?
- references?

Average quote seems to be around £5000 - £5500.

Is there anything else I need to ask to ensure I'm not hiring a yee-haa cowboy?

Talking of cowboys - I had the SafeStyle UK salesman round a couple of days ago. His starting quote was £18000 !!! (Yes - Eighteen Thousand Pounds).  He came down to £5900 but I'd lost interest by then. Have since come across http://www.dooyoo.co.uk/local-services/safestyle-uk/ and similar and I'm keeping well away.

Thanks,
diy_guy

Thank User For This Post  
IP Logged

diy_guy
Reply #15 - Nov 19th, 2004, 11:37pm

Doh

I've just found:

http://www.double-glazing-web.co.uk/pvcu-strengths-weaknesses.htm

Exactly what I need.

Rgds,
diy_guy

Thank User For This Post  
IP Logged

big_all
Global Moderator
Trade Member
Author

heeelllooo

Total Thanks: 10

Trade: Joiner

Reply #16 - Nov 19th, 2004, 11:38pm

just remember if you invite people into your house you loose a lot of your cooling of rights
thats why a lot of companys [not just double glazing] just love it when you answer the promotional free this free that and free the other ad cos you are inviting the salesman in "GOTCHA" Cry Cry Sad
« Last Edit: Nov 19th, 2004, 11:41pm by big_all »  

big all ---------------  we are all still learning
Thank User For This Post View members image gallery  
IP Logged

Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print