Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
Welcome To Ask The Trades!
Apr 16th, 2024, 4:31pm
Quote: The problem with the gene pool is that there is no lifeguard.

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Going rate for Re-Pointing? (Read 7932 times)
pigwhippit

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

Total Thanks: 0
For This Post: 0

Going rate for Re-Pointing?
Nov 10th, 2004, 2:48pm

Hello all,
           would any of you pro's out there be kind enough to tell me what the going rate is for Re-Pointing. This would be in and around the Brighton area, I guess it would be per linea foot/meter.
Thanks
Neil.

Thank User For This Post  
IP Logged

JerryD
Re: Going rate for Re-Pointing?
Reply #1 - Nov 10th, 2004, 9:41pm

To rake out and repoint an old Victorian garden wall recently we charged £50 per square metre.  We averaged about 5 metres each per day.  The wall was about 20 metres long and 2.5 metres high with buttresses.  Both sides needed pointing.

Any bricks that needed replacing were £10 each.

Cost the guy about £6,000!

Thank User For This Post  
IP Logged

Robbo
Reply #2 - Nov 10th, 2004, 10:49pm

How times change, last time i did much pointing it was around £15 a sq mtr ....a long time ago.
If jerry was doing around 5 mtr a day then he was of course doing it the right way..... a man may come along and say well i can do it for half that and knock out 15 mtrs a day because it isnt being done correctly. Good pointing is an art and needs proper preperation, rakeing out of old mortar, wetting down , the corect mix and tone of mortar, neatly weather and struck.
What I used to do was visit the customer and do a little section of wall for them and explain the way it was to be done then invite them to take any other quotes and tell them to get the builder to do the same and see if they were doing it correctly and as neatly. I got every job I quoted.

Thank User For This Post  
IP Logged

Charlie_Farley
Reply #3 - Nov 28th, 2004, 10:13am

Spot on Robbo

Pointing is a job most hated.  Those that do it well will never be idle and I see Robbo is that person.  If it is too shallow it crumbles and falls out, too deep it will take forever to complete just right it stays and works as pointing should and dispel water from the joint and ultimately the cavity.

Do as Robbo says and get them to show you how they intend to do it and the mix with which they intend to use.  If its too weak then it will fall out, too strong and it may crack the brickwork.  They will tell this from the scrapings.

No it aint a cheap job but done well it will last for years.

Just to explain the significance of pointing it is not just decorative.  It has several profiles; all but one is developed to dispel water as quickly as possibly from the joint where, if it were to permeate and freeze would crack the wall else get into the cavity and ultimately the inner leaf and into the house.  En-route it will allow the brick(s) to absorb water while it gently soaks its way through the outer leaf.  If your cavity has brick batt type insulation, then that may end up getting soaked and taking an age to dry out.

I am not going to include wasps that just need soft mortar for nest building and often decide to move in to your cavity cos its there and warm and dryish with a regular water supply.

Wyatt Earp, from Bodgit, Fukit and Scarper the cheapest builder in town wont know that but will still bill the same as if Robbo did it.  You chose!

Thank User For This Post  
IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print