Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
Welcome To Ask The Trades!
Apr 20th, 2024, 11:13am
Quote: What makes him think a middle aged actor, who's played with a chimp, could have a future in politics? - Ronald Reagan

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
flexible pipe, service valves (Read 3406 times)
John   Davies
GDPR opt-out

flexible pipe, service valves
Nov 28th, 2004, 12:49am

I have to plumb in our new bathroom this next week or two, and things have changed since I last did any real plumbing. Lead has gone out for a start (joke!)

Specifically, I was wondering when I have to fit a service valve - are these just fitted to the cold feeds to the basin and toilet, or do I fit one to the bath as well?  Am I right in thinking I think the hot feeds don't need one?

Also, a lot of new installations I have seen now use flexible piping.  Is this a requirement?  If so, where do I use it, on all hot and cold feeds or only some?

Many thanks,

John Davies

IP Logged

The_Trician
Trade Member

Total Thanks: 8
For This Post: 0

Trade: Electrician

Re: flexible pipe, service valves
Reply #1 - Nov 28th, 2004, 1:09am

I'm a sparks mate, but I've just replumbed my bathroom!

My advice to you - gained from damp and bitter experience, is to fit full-bore isolation/service valves to all pipes feeding the bath, the handbasin, the toilet cistern, the electric shower, both hot and cold feeds.
Flexible braided stainless steel connections are a must for all of your taps - dead easy to fit.
Also, if you check the screwfix plumbing section, you'll find that you can buy these connections in various lengths and some come prefitted with built-in isolation valves.

TT

Thats the trouble with a colostomy - you can never find the shoes to match the bag.......
Thank User For This Post  
IP Logged

JerryD
Reply #2 - Nov 28th, 2004, 6:34am

I fully agree with TT.  I fit service vales to absolutely everything (within reason  Grin), the rules only require them on things with a ball valve or equivalent but how many times have you gone to a house to do some plumbing repairs and found lovely service valves to the taps too.  

When you do it's so helpful, no need to try and turn off those crappy gatevalves in the airing cupboard (they never fully shut off do they  Angry).

Braided flexihoses are a great help too, possible halving the time to install some gear.

In fact I now only buy these flexihoses with built in service valves, both jobs done in one go.

Now about that lead..............................  Roll Eyes
« Last Edit: Nov 28th, 2004, 8:21am by JerryD »  
Thank User For This Post  
IP Logged

jasonB
Reply #3 - Nov 28th, 2004, 8:23am

Ther only problem I find with flexi pipes and isolating valves is that the bore can be as little as 6mm, if you don't have a decent head of pressure these will restrict the flow, something to watch out for with a lot of the taps made abroad as they are designed for high pressure systems not UK gravity feed.

I now use full bore valves and do it all in copper where-ever possible. Valves on everything, do the first fix, turn off the valves, take out the loo & basin, then plenty of room to tile with no draining down.

Jason

Thank User For This Post  
IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print