Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
Welcome To Ask The Trades!
Apr 19th, 2024, 12:33am
Quote: The grass is always greener when you remember to water it.

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
How to tie in a wall (Read 10280 times)
diydooer
GDPR opt-out

How to tie in a wall
Jan 3rd, 2005, 8:42am

I am currently living in a house where the previous owner converted (not very well) part of the garage to give a breakfast room. The outside wall he created by building a stud wall with an 8" gap between it and the existing outside wall, part filled it with polystyrene and 12mm plaster board.

I am wanting to change the stud wall into a thermalite wall with a 4" insulated cavity. The length of wall will be aprox 8ft by 8ft high.

How do I tie this new wall to the existing outside wall? Obviously with a new built the ties are placed in the brickwork as the wall goes up.

The existing spanwise wall was built from 4" concrete blocks straight onto the concrete garage floor. From what I can gather the floor was only built aprox 4" deep over hardcore. Do you think this floor can support the weight of a wall of this thickness measuiring 9ft wide and 8ft high? This wall is currently not load bearing.

IP Logged

Chaddy
GDPR opt-out

Re: How to tie in a wall
Reply #1 - Jan 3rd, 2005, 8:18pm

Hi Diydooer.

Welcome to the forum.

I'm not a builder but you can get a 'wall tie pack' from screwfix, and all builders merchants. As far as i understand it, there is a metal strip that screws to your existing wall. To this wall ties can be fixed at the appropriate height to line up with the mortar joints in the new wall.

Hope this helps.

IP Logged

diydooer
GDPR opt-out

Reply #2 - Jan 3rd, 2005, 9:42pm

Hi, Thanks for the reply. I have looked in screwfix but could only find the ties for creating walls perpendicular to an existing wall. I believe these are commonly known as 'firfix'.

Would you have an item code for the suggested item?

IP Logged

Chaddy
GDPR opt-out

Reply #3 - Jan 3rd, 2005, 10:08pm

Just re-read the question. I first read it as you were coming off the external wall at 90 degrees!! Grin

So you want to tie in a new internal wall to the existing external wall?? ???

IP Logged

PowerTool
GDPR opt-out

Reply #4 - Jan 3rd, 2005, 10:30pm

Don't know if there is a product commercially available,but it could be done by drilling holes in the mortar of existing wall,and placing metal rods (something about the size of electric arc welding rods with the flux knocked off) and insert into holes when new wall reaches same level.
As for the floor,believe 6" to be more normal,but is it reinforced or just ordinary slab ?

IP Logged

big_all
Global Moderator
Trade Member
Author

heeelllooo

Total Thanks: 10
For This Post: 0

Trade: Joiner

Reply #5 - Jan 3rd, 2005, 10:45pm

« Last Edit: Jan 3rd, 2005, 10:47pm by big_all »  

big all ---------------  we are all still learning
Thank User For This Post View members image gallery  
IP Logged

Chaddy
Reply #6 - Jan 3rd, 2005, 10:52pm

Big All these will work at each end of the wall but i assume ??? that the new wall is running parallel to the existing external wall and he is recreating the cavity wall but in blocks, and it is this that needs tieing in.

Diydooer dont know if it's feasible to use the screw in wall ties again available from screwfix? ???
« Last Edit: Jan 3rd, 2005, 10:54pm by Chaddy »  
Thank User For This Post  
IP Logged

Robbo
Reply #7 - Jan 3rd, 2005, 11:16pm

Can you not get the galvanised wall tie fixings in a " Y" shape anymore, the bottom of the Y being a screw thread  no 10 and the top goes into the bed joint .... real handy, used to be able to buy them by the box, simply drill with a 10mm, plug and screw!

Thank User For This Post  
IP Logged

Windy Miller
Trade Member

Total Thanks: 0

Trade: Handyman

Reply #8 - Jan 3rd, 2005, 11:18pm

Allo Robbo!  Grin

Was waiting for you to say summat!

Windy

Just is good enough
Thank User For This Post  
IP Logged

Chaddy
Reply #9 - Jan 3rd, 2005, 11:24pm

Robbo this is the screwfix number of the tie i mentioned previously 31633.

Not y shaped but would do the same job.

Thank User For This Post  
IP Logged

big_all
Global Moderator
Trade Member
Author

heeelllooo

Total Thanks: 10

Trade: Joiner

Reply #10 - Jan 3rd, 2005, 11:31pm

[quote author=Chaddy  link=1104741772/0#6 date=1104792778]Big All these will work at each end of the wall but i assume ??? that the new wall is running parallel to the existing external wall and he is recreating the cavity wall but in blocks, and it is this that needs tieing in.

Diydooer dont know if it's feasible to use the screw in wall ties again available from screwfix? ??? [/quote]

aaahhh got ya Roll Eyes Roll Eyes Grin Wink
just like to practice post and paste or was it paste and post as several people took ages telling me how to do it and i dont want to forget how to do it Grin Grin Grin Grin Wink

big all ---------------  we are all still learning
Thank User For This Post View members image gallery  
IP Logged

Chaddy
Reply #11 - Jan 3rd, 2005, 11:35pm

Nice one m8 Grin Grin Grin

Thank User For This Post  
IP Logged

JerryD
Reply #12 - Jan 4th, 2005, 12:03am

with a 4" cavity you'll need a longer than standard tie.  I would use these:

Screw it to the existing wall as you build up the new blockwork so that they fit into the bed joints of the new wall.

Most merchants list these as "frame cramps" but they're ideal for what you want.  Smiley They come in various lengths.
« Last Edit: Jan 4th, 2005, 12:03am by JerryD »  
Thank User For This Post  
IP Logged

JerryD
Reply #13 - Jan 4th, 2005, 12:10am

Regarding the floor thickness, have you ever tried breaking up a 4" thick concrete floor!  A partition wall like that will be no problem for a 4" slab, remember this was a garage with a 1.5 tonne car sat on it, possibly with 4 people in it.  

As long as the concrete was 'good stuff' when it was laid and not some crappy weak flakey diy soup you should be ok. (don't mean to be rude about diy concrete but I have noticed some like to make it really wet so it 'self levels'  Roll Eyes)

Thank User For This Post  
IP Logged

diydooer
Reply #14 - Jan 4th, 2005, 8:12am

Hi

Thanx everyone for your help and suggestions.

Jerry D, I mentioned the fact about the 1½ tonne car to the original building designer and he didnt seem too convinced but the wall no doubt weighs considerably less. I do realise I wont be able to build upwards any higher to create a second floor without having to dig new footings etc.

Chaddy, SFX 31633 would appear to be the correct item I am looking for as long as they will be long enough. SFX dont state the length. I will email them.

Thank User For This Post  
IP Logged

JohnDavies
Reply #15 - Jan 20th, 2005, 5:10pm

Not too convinced about the car arguement - a car's weight is spread over a wide area, courtesy of four 'footprints' one on each tyre.

I would talk to a structural engineer.

John D

Thank User For This Post  
IP Logged

JerryD
Reply #16 - Jan 20th, 2005, 5:46pm

Actually a cars weight is concentrated into 4 very small areas.  An average car with 4 people in it weighs about half a tonne at each tyre.  The tyre footprint is about 0.015 sq metres which equates to a load of about 3.33 tonnes per sq  metre

This particular wall weighs about 900kgs over a footprint of 0.27 sq m.  This also equates to a load of about 3.33 tonnes per sq metre.

I agree about getting professional advice but it's not as if you're trying to build something weighing 10 tonnes.

We built some offices in a garage workshop a while back, the unit was a typical modern industrial unit with a concrete floor.  They wanted a two storey office built straight off this floor, to create a reception, cloakrooms, mot waiting bay etc with their own offices above.  The engineer asked for a test hole to be broken through the concrete slab,  This showed the floor to be 150mm thick concrete.

This was approved for the two storey build.  In addition to which they serviced and repaired commercial vehicles, there were readymix lorries, skip lorries etc all jammed in there.  The total load on that floor was enormous.  

However, it was very good concrete.

Thank User For This Post  
IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print