Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
Welcome To Ask The Trades!
Mar 28th, 2024, 8:35am
Quote: The hardest thing in the world to understand is the income tax - Albert Einstein

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Drilling Tiles (Read 2972 times)
SLOUTH

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

Total Thanks: 0
For This Post: 0

Drilling Tiles
Jan 26th, 2005, 12:59pm

Can anybody help me,the tiles on my wall in the bathroom dont seem to porcelain and are proving impossible to drill.I have tried Masonary bits and special tile drills but to no avail.

Thank User For This Post  
IP Logged

Robbo
Re: Drilling Tiles
Reply #1 - Jan 26th, 2005, 9:54pm

Try sticking a bit of masking tape over the point you wish to drill... X marks the spot, hold the drill really steady with both hands and at full revs just get the tip to gently score into the tile, once you have a bit of a start the "tile" bit will sail through.

Thank User For This Post  
IP Logged

Windy Miller
Trade Member

Total Thanks: 0

Trade: Handyman

Reply #2 - Jan 26th, 2005, 10:02pm

I had to drill some floor tiles the other day - knackered three new sds drill bits in the process.  Dunno what these things were made of but they didn't want to be drilled!

Got p1ssed off with it and used the angle grinder in the end - that sorted it out!

Windy

Just is good enough
Thank User For This Post  
IP Logged

zambezi
Reply #3 - Jan 26th, 2005, 10:23pm

I had to drill some glass wall tiles so I ordered the expensive pro tile drill set from SFD, it was over £20!! It lasted all of 10 seconds and I had to bin it!! I bought a twin pack of cheap tile drills from B&Q (they were in the tiling section, made by Plasplugs), about £3 or £4 and I used 1 bit to drill about 12 holes!!
Tip: when drilling tiles or glass, try and keep a steady drip/flow of water on the bit to cool and lubricate the bit and tile/glass. I used a sponge, soaked in water to do the job.
DON'T MIX WATER AND ELECTRICITY (you all know this but some smart ar*se will be sure to point it out)

Thank User For This Post  
IP Logged

chippysmith
Reply #4 - Jan 26th, 2005, 10:58pm

If it's floor tiles use a putty ring to create a "well" around the hole and keep it topped up with water.  And dont use hammer action on the drill!!  Start slowly to score the glaze and increase the speed, try not to let the drill grab as your drill tip reaches the back of the tile (back off).  If you cannot keep the drill immersed in water stop frequently and quench the bit, its the heat that knackers them.   Also if your fixing to the hole with a rawlplug, tap it in past the tile and adjust screw length  to ignore depth of tile, any expansive stress on the drilled tile will be sure to pop it!!

I have found the dewalt extreme masonry drills to work fine
« Last Edit: Jan 26th, 2005, 11:02pm by chippysmith »  
Thank User For This Post  
IP Logged

woodsmith
Global Moderator
Trade Member
Author

Total Thanks: 135

Trade: Joiner

Reply #5 - Jan 27th, 2005, 6:10am

I had a similar problem last year trying to drill some tiles in a kitchen and nothing would touch them. Even when I got through the glazing they still wouldn't drill.

I used a very fine masonry bit in the end to get a pilot hole through and gradually increased the bit size. Took absolutely ages though. As everyone has said keeping the bit cool is vital.

And be careful mixing electricity and water.

Keith (smart arse) Wink Grin

Thank User For This Post View members image gallery  
IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print