Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
Welcome To Ask The Trades!
Apr 19th, 2024, 4:18am
Quote: The hardest thing in the world to understand is the income tax - Albert Einstein

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Removing plaster (Read 1651 times)
bruciebonus
GDPR opt-out

Removing plaster
Jan 4th, 2005, 11:28am

Had some cowboys forced upon me by circumstances and time. Unfortunately I've got a situation that I can't do much without a radical rethink

After some building and electrical work I needed some plastering done to walls which were previously plastered (40 year house with plaster over internal block construction) Some of the walls  were in perfect shape other than some raggling that had taken place to allow some additional lighting. other walls had been knocked through or disturbed in one way or another.

The resulting plasterwork on the previously plastered walls was like the Himalayas and the others were not much better. Areas around wall outlets (which had been removed for them) were barely recognisable as being finished off. The grounds and door standards have been left set back from the finished surface between 3 and 8 mm in places.To give me something reasonably flush  to stitch facings/skirtings I'd have to redo or pack out the grounds and door standards to allow further remedial plastering (is there no end to this). The exposed corners  complete with angle beading look as if they've been plastered with a radius in mind  and not a finished corners.

The ceilings? I have boarded them again with a view to taping and skimming, and this should be a suitable solution.
But I still have the problems with the walls. Do I get somebody to plaster over the existing mess? (most decent plasterers are reluctant to look at someone else's work - understandably). Or, is there no option but to remove the lot and possibly create more damage?
To compound the problem I'm in a part of Scotland (PH1) where plastering has taken a back seat to taping and filling over the last 30 years, leaving out of practice roughcasters to throw the stuff on inside.

IP Logged

Robbo
GDPR opt-out

Re: Removing plaster
Reply #1 - Jan 4th, 2005, 1:32pm

Firstly welcome to the forum brucie Cheesy
Secondly I am sorry to hear that you have have borne the brunt of such shoddy work .....i hope you sent them packing without a penny, with a flea in the ear and a kick up the A**E.
No you are right many plasterers do not like to come on to others work but I think you will find sympathy from some considering the extent of the problems you face, I just hope that you find an honest one who will not see your predicament as a means of thinking of a number and trebleing it.
Though it may look an eyesore I dont think it would be a massive undertaking to put this right, though short of hacking off and starting again it can be put right.
By adding some strips of timbers to the door casings this will give you added depth to apply a new skim coat By dubbing out any hollows with bonding a fresh skim coat can be applied and corner reveals can be reset with board bead (3mm) and again skimmed.
Do the ceilings first so you can skrim tape the ceiling line then concentrate on the walls.
I am to far away to help but d.j a member here is in Manchester perhaps he may be in a position to help.
Watch this space!

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print