Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
Welcome To Ask The Trades!
Mar 28th, 2024, 7:36pm
Quote: All those who believe in psycho kinesis, raise my hand.

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Flashing around new window (Read 2424 times)
Pineman
GDPR opt-out

Flashing around new window
Jun 13th, 2005, 6:22pm

I'm just about to start fitting three new softwood window frames to my old Suffolk timberframe house (oak frame, external cement render on expanded metal lath, plasterboard internally).
Some of the existing windows in the house have a projecting flashing of some sort above the window - it's possibly galvanised tin (painted) and sticks out horizontally about 4 inches.
What flashing arrangements should I fit around the new windows?

IP Logged

woodsmith
Global Moderator
Trade Member
Author

Total Thanks: 135
For This Post: 0

Trade: Joiner

Re: Flashing around new window
Reply #1 - Jun 14th, 2005, 6:28pm

Well this is a bag of worms Roll Eyes

Are you Fensa registered?

Or have you got Building Control involved? They would specify/give advice.

Otherwise if your building is old and listed you will still need BCO approval but also planning and conservation departments will need to be informed to give you their approval.

For what it is worth the projecting flashing will probably be a drip strip and if it has worked for all these years I would put it back.

Other than that you don't often find flashings round windows, but timber-frame houses can be prone to leak and people nail all sorts on in an attempt to keep the weather out.

Thank User For This Post View members image gallery  
IP Logged

Pineman
Reply #2 - Jun 14th, 2005, 7:00pm

Thanks Woodsmith.

I have got all the necessary listed building and building control consents (planning not required).  I just wanted to try and find out what approach to flashing would be best for the preservation of the new windows in the long term.

Thank User For This Post  
IP Logged

woodsmith
Global Moderator
Trade Member
Author

Total Thanks: 135
For This Post: 0

Trade: Joiner

Reply #3 - Jun 14th, 2005, 7:10pm

Ask the BCO although you may well find that what would work best would not be allowed by the conservation dept and they generally have precidence over building control.

You would normally just mastic round a window but that may not be acceptable, one option is to mastic then bead over the mastic.

Thank User For This Post View members image gallery  
IP Logged

Robbo
Reply #4 - Jun 14th, 2005, 7:38pm

If you can take out what is there at present and use theese as a template for new then it is not difficult to replicate in code 4 lead which should satisfy all concerned parties.

Thank User For This Post  
IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print