Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
Welcome To Ask The Trades!
Mar 28th, 2024, 3:33pm
Quote: My doctor told me to stop having intimate dinners for four. Unless there are three other people - Orson Welles

Pages: 1 
Send Topic Print
Oak Worktops (Read 22691 times)
grahamthebrickie
GDPR opt-out

Oak Worktops
Jan 13th, 2006, 7:45pm

Anyone got ideas for sealing Oak worktops, doing a utility room and have got my hands on some oak worktop unfinished.

IP Logged

TIMBA-WOLF
Board Moderator

Timba-Wolf..... Var@*sh,
should be banned!!

Total Thanks: 15
For This Post: 0

KENT,(under a tree!!!!), United Kingdom
KENT,(under a tree!!!!)
United Kingdom

Trade: Joiner

Re: Oak Worktops
Reply #1 - Jan 13th, 2006, 8:17pm

Hi there dear chap, it all depends upon what you need to seal it against, if it is mainly water. then an oil is best, it really is not advisable to use Varnish on oak!

how thick, and is it oak, completely, or a thick (10mm plus) on all four sides, (have had this before too!) with a ply core!!

AS HONEST AND LOYAL AS THE TIMBER-WOLF. --VAR@*SH, DON'T YOU SWEAR AT ME!! PAL!!&&I DON'T SUFFER FROM INSANITY- I DAMNED WELL ENJOY IT!!!!!
Thank User For This Post View members image gallery  
IP Logged

grahamthebrickie
Reply #2 - Jan 13th, 2006, 8:46pm

The worktop is solid oak 35mm thick, do you mean something like Danish or linseed oil, thanks

Thank User For This Post  
IP Logged

TIMBA-WOLF
Board Moderator

Timba-Wolf..... Var@*sh,
should be banned!!

KENT,(under a tree!!!!)
United Kingdom

Reply #3 - Jan 13th, 2006, 9:16pm

forget danish, linseed oil etc,  the best by far is Tung oil, for oak (teak also) , and the best brand (as it is the purest) is Liberon see link for details, and buy from a stockist near your self!!!!   not particulary the one in the link!!  just the product!!http://www.agwoodcare.co.uk/show_product.php?id=87

and it will help, if a request for "timber" based fnishes, is needed, to post in the carpentery section, okay dokay dear chap!!!  painter just want too PAINT timber, which is sacralidge in my books!!! (rant all you like Hammy!!  Roll Eyesit did not grow with paint on it, so it should NOT be painted!!!), and Var@*sh,... well just DON'T GO THERE Angry

any way, this is the way to go, and by far the best solution to the question/problem!!
okay!!
regards matt!!

AS HONEST AND LOYAL AS THE TIMBER-WOLF. --VAR@*SH, DON'T YOU SWEAR AT ME!! PAL!!&&I DON'T SUFFER FROM INSANITY- I DAMNED WELL ENJOY IT!!!!!
IP Logged

scotspark
Trade Member

mmmmm it's gonna cost
you!!

Total Thanks: 10

scotland, Scotland
scotland
Scotland

Trade: Electrician

Reply #4 - Jan 13th, 2006, 9:44pm

and did it grow with liberon on it ????????????????

brown to red and blue to f****&&&&ommited!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
IP Logged

JerryD
Reply #5 - Jan 13th, 2006, 10:38pm

Out of interest, what are pub bar tops finished with?  These are usually timber with some kind of French polish on them? yes/no

Whatever the finish is, it must be pretty good to stand all that beer slopping all over it constantly.

Would this be better for these oak tops?

Thank User For This Post  
IP Logged

hammy
Trade Member

Deep joy

Total Thanks: 8

Trade: Decorator

Reply #6 - Jan 13th, 2006, 11:44pm

I rather thought that pub bartops were finished with a two pack polyurethane varnish, due to it's resistance to scratching and chemical attacks. (sorry Wolf).

Wouldn't stake my life on it though.

Deep joy
Thank User For This Post  
IP Logged

TIMBA-WOLF
Board Moderator

Timba-Wolf..... Var@*sh,
should be banned!!

KENT,(under a tree!!!!)
United Kingdom

Reply #7 - Jan 13th, 2006, 11:59pm

Most bar/pub counter tops are actually a laminated material, for stability, with a 2k resin based clear coat on them!!!! light years ahead of button polish or Var@*sh!!!

and for info SP. all oil based products by Liberon and others are made from plant/tree oils!!!

IP Logged

woodsmith
Global Moderator
Trade Member
Author

Total Thanks: 135

Reply #8 - Jan 14th, 2006, 9:08am

I've just made some oak worktops for a holiday let and they insisted on varnish, said they didn't want any maintenance issues Undecided.

They had a point and the customer is sometimes right, you do need to keep on top of an oil finished kitchen worktop.

I've just made some for my own kitchen and used Liberon Finishing oil, it is mostly Tung oil but it has driers added which speed up the process. Leaves a nice sheen finish.

For a shinier finish Chestnut Finishing oil is good, I would avoid Danish oil, they have now "enhanced" it and I am not sure if I would want to use it on a food prep area.

IP Logged

hammy
Trade Member

Deep joy

Reply #9 - Jan 14th, 2006, 12:05pm

I think with two pack polyurethane varnish, that the film former is polyurethane resin and not oil modified natural resin.

Don't exactly know why I'm saying that, just thought I would mention it really.

Deep joy
Thank User For This Post  
IP Logged

TIMBA-WOLF
Board Moderator

Timba-Wolf..... Var@*sh,
should be banned!!

KENT,(under a tree!!!!)
United Kingdom

Reply #10 - Jan 14th, 2006, 1:16pm

Why not mention it , we ALL learn at least one thing each day, and WS, as good as the Liberon Finishing oil is, i must say that the Chestnut Finishing oil i do definately prefer ( 8 out of 10 dogs, said their joiner/carpenter owners perfered it!!) LOL
http://www.chestnutproducts.co.uk/index.asp

and as for the OAk with var@#sh on it, i give it year tops before it starts to crack, nature of the beast so to speak!!! poor you any way WS, for having to do that part of the job!!!
« Last Edit: Jan 14th, 2006, 1:17pm by TIMBA-WOLF »  

IP Logged

woodsmith
Global Moderator
Trade Member
Author

Total Thanks: 135

Reply #11 - Jan 14th, 2006, 2:05pm

[quote author=WOLF  link=1137181549/0#10 date=1137244601]
and as for the OAk with var@#sh on it, i give it year tops before it starts to crack, nature of the beast so to speak!!! poor you any way WS, for having to do that part of the job!!! [/quote]

I don't know Undecided I'm pretty good at varnishing Wink and it should last reasonably well. The main problem is if they mark it, it would need sanding right back.

9 out of 10 carpenters dogs prefer a Bonio Grin

IP Logged

hammy
Trade Member

Deep joy

Reply #12 - Jan 14th, 2006, 2:21pm

I hate dogs.  Undecided

Deep joy
Thank User For This Post  
IP Logged

TIMBA-WOLF
Board Moderator

Timba-Wolf..... Var@*sh,
should be banned!!

KENT,(under a tree!!!!)
United Kingdom

Reply #13 - Jan 14th, 2006, 2:22pm

OH GAWD! WS, i was in no way calling your workmanship in to question, it is just having seen more than enough var@#shed pieces of oak look like some one with golfing shoes has walked over them,  i just hope you do not get any grief down the line on it!!!

it just gets me some times, when a customer/client come to YOU (us) as the professional for advise, then does not take it!!! especially on the finish to a piece!!!  one single dropped item, especially in aholiday let, and ooops! chipped cracked marked surface, and oh no!! here we go!! sanders at the ready!!!

and Bess states charcol Bonio's are best so 10 out of 10!!... or for some strange eason, a nice Beech shaving!!!! (strange dog though!!!... aw hack, damned strange owners!! )LOL Grin

and Hammy....well your a bloody cat dude, what do you expect!!!
« Last Edit: Jan 14th, 2006, 2:24pm by TIMBA-WOLF »  

IP Logged

hammy
Trade Member

Deep joy

Reply #14 - Jan 14th, 2006, 2:25pm

Wolfie, give me your address, and I'll nip round and give your hairdressers car a nice coat of gloss varnish.

I just know you will be so impressed.  Grin

Deep joy
Thank User For This Post  
IP Logged

TIMBA-WOLF
Board Moderator

Timba-Wolf..... Var@*sh,
should be banned!!

KENT,(under a tree!!!!)
United Kingdom

Reply #15 - Jan 14th, 2006, 2:29pm

she's got a new merc, so i am not to worried, but with the size of Mark her man MOUNTAIN hubby, i don't quite think you will risk it, he's one of these blokes with little or no sense of humour!!!!, not like us TRADES people!!! Shocked Shocked Shocked Shocked Shocked Shocked Shocked Shocked Shocked Shocked Shocked Shocked Shocked Shocked Shocked

IP Logged

hammy
Trade Member

Deep joy

Reply #16 - Jan 14th, 2006, 9:50pm

Wolfie, I wasn't talking about the car that belongs to your hairdresser, I meant your Rover 216.   Grin

Deep joy
Thank User For This Post  
IP Logged

TIMBA-WOLF
Board Moderator

Timba-Wolf..... Var@*sh,
should be banned!!

KENT,(under a tree!!!!)
United Kingdom

Reply #17 - Jan 14th, 2006, 10:42pm

Oh i don't mind that, when i restored it, it had a serious multi layered paint job, a "pearlescent metalic, " basically blue in day light, but in certain conditons it goes differing shades of blue,  Ian my paint sprayer, put on 1 etch primer, 3 base coat, 4 coats biscuit primer, 6 coats of the main colour coat, finished up with 6 coats of laquer!! (or VARNISH  to the likes of us!!!)  all in that 2k or "2 pack"??!!??

but i do take heed of your threat!!!

(oooH OOH! mod, mod, he's threatening me!!! LOL  Grin Grin)

meeeoooooww!!! Grin
« Last Edit: Jan 14th, 2006, 10:44pm by TIMBA-WOLF »  

IP Logged

Pages: 1 
Send Topic Print