Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
Welcome To Ask The Trades!
Apr 18th, 2024, 12:24pm
Quote: If your car could travel at the speed of light, would your headlights work?

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Tiles too close together? (Read 13009 times)
CWatters

"Daddy fick it" says James

Total Thanks: 58
For This Post: 0

Tiles too close together?
Jan 15th, 2006, 8:47pm

6 tiles in the bathroom were "blown" (I think that's the right term). I've removed and refixed them OK but my question is....

It looks like they were originally fixed to the wall with all the tiles touching each other - eg with little or no room for grout between.  Is it likely that the problem was caused by thermal expansion? The grout looked in good condition and the wall behind the tiles is dry. They were bowed out from the wall by 5mm.

Thank User For This Post View members image gallery  
IP Logged

splinter
Re: Tiles too close together?
Reply #1 - Jan 15th, 2006, 8:58pm

It was possibly caused by a small thermalnuclear devise Grin

Thank User For This Post  
IP Logged

CWatters

Reply #2 - Jan 16th, 2006, 12:28am

LOL   Grin

IP Logged

sailfishoney
Reply #3 - Jan 17th, 2006, 3:54am

the word would be hydrostatic pressure.
what occurs is several different things.
1. to much setting materials used to stick the wall tile can cause this
2. or tile were set to close together and tempature change can cause this
3. on floor tiles (this happened in my house)
I tiled the entire house 5 years ago. The hurricanes caused my home to flood and the water was forced in the house by high winds and moisture got in between the concrete slab and the setting materials and caused hdro static pressure. Now my floor sounds like I have a lot of hollow tiles. Thank GOD for insurance.
The wall tiles that popped off, was the mastic left on the walls or left on the tiles or both. any and all tile have to have a minimum of 1/16th of a grout joint even marble that has butt joint. Does this help?
Could it of just been the tiles werent properly set. sometimes if the tile was stuck om top of dry wall mud the water from the glue will activate the mud and loosen the tiles. big no no
« Last Edit: Jan 17th, 2006, 3:55am by sailfishoney »  
Thank User For This Post  
IP Logged

sailfishoney
Reply #4 - Jan 17th, 2006, 4:05am

[quote author=CWatters  link=1137358056/0#0 date=1137358056]6 tiles in the bathroom were "blown" (I think that's the right term). I've removed and refixed them OK but my question is....

It looks like they were originally fixed to the wall with all the tiles touching each other - eg with little or no room for grout between.  Is it likely that the problem was caused by thermal expansion? The grout looked in good condition and the wall behind the tiles is dry. They were bowed out from the wall by 5mm.
[/quote]
what was the wall made of. It moght not of been water proof and a little moisture from the steam could of swelled the wall and popped the tiles and dryed before you knew it.

Thank User For This Post  
IP Logged

CWatters

Reply #5 - Jan 17th, 2006, 10:07am

When the tile came off about half the cement was left on the wall. Not really in patches - the cement seems to have cracked leaving a uniform layer on both wall and tile. The wall and back of the tile seemed to be dry even though the bathroom isn't exactly well ventilated.  The wall showed no sign of water damage. It was quite hard to remove the remaining cement from the wall but easier from the tile. I guess it's possible the wrong cement was used.

Otherwise I can only think that it was caused by the tiles being jammed together and expansion. I had to file all the edges a bit to get them back in the space they came out of they were that tight.

They are over the bath so I used waterproof cement to put them back on and will see if any others come away.

IP Logged

TIMBA-WOLF
Board Moderator

Timba-Wolf..... Var@*sh,
should be banned!!

Total Thanks: 15

KENT,(under a tree!!!!), United Kingdom
KENT,(under a tree!!!!)
United Kingdom

Trade: Joiner

Reply #6 - Jan 17th, 2006, 12:14pm

just nail the buggers on CW, quicker!!!, not too sure about the look though, but crazy paving was all the rage a few years ago.......... Grin LOL

AS HONEST AND LOYAL AS THE TIMBER-WOLF. --VAR@*SH, DON'T YOU SWEAR AT ME!! PAL!!&&I DON'T SUFFER FROM INSANITY- I DAMNED WELL ENJOY IT!!!!!
IP Logged

CWatters

Reply #7 - Jan 17th, 2006, 12:46pm

Well they do have a pattern that makes you want to take a hammer to the lot Smiley Perhaps later.

IP Logged

TIMBA-WOLF
Board Moderator

Timba-Wolf..... Var@*sh,
should be banned!!

KENT,(under a tree!!!!)
United Kingdom

Reply #8 - Jan 17th, 2006, 1:25pm

they are not them "WATER SPLASH" look ones are they....YUCK!!!!  Grin Grin

AS HONEST AND LOYAL AS THE TIMBER-WOLF. --VAR@*SH, DON'T YOU SWEAR AT ME!! PAL!!&&I DON'T SUFFER FROM INSANITY- I DAMNED WELL ENJOY IT!!!!!
IP Logged

CWatters

Reply #9 - Jan 17th, 2006, 5:03pm

No but they look like the sort of tiles you could find on a thousand housing estates built 10 years ago.

On another subject...  does everyone here know about the "duck tiles"? or is it just my friends and I that can see the duck?

IP Logged

TIMBA-WOLF
Board Moderator

Timba-Wolf..... Var@*sh,
should be banned!!

KENT,(under a tree!!!!)
United Kingdom

Reply #10 - Jan 19th, 2006, 12:33am

OH GOD NOT THOSE..poor fella!!!.....yellow or the gordy GREEN ones!!!! NO, NOT THE BLUES!!!.. and we call them the "chick" tiles,(especially the yellow ones!)  arghh!! poor you!!   dont put them back , replace!! IMMEDIATELY!!!!  Grin Grin Grin Grin Grin

you are not alone, ducks/chicks etc!!!!!

QUE... X-File /twiglet tune!!!!!!!!!!!! Grin

IP Logged

sailfishoney
Reply #11 - Jan 21st, 2006, 9:31pm

[quote author=CWatters  link=1137358056/0#5 date=1137492421]When the tile came off about half the cement was left on the wall. Not really in patches - the cement seems to have cracked leaving a uniform layer on both wall and tile. The wall and back of the tile seemed to be dry even though the bathroom isn't exactly well ventilated.  The wall showed no sign of water damage. It was quite hard to remove the remaining cement from the wall but easier from the tile. I guess it's possible the wrong cement was used.

Otherwise I can only think that it was caused by the tiles being jammed together and expansion. I had to file all the edges a bit to get them back in the space they came out of they were that tight.  

They are over the bath so I used waterproof cement to put them back on and will see if any others come away. [/quote] We don't use cement base to stick up wall tiles, we use glue. I think you call it sticky there. Sticky makes it sticky. lol  Cement base we call several things like thin set, mud. If you use mud to stick up wall tiles it will evenuallyl fail on you. It dries out and the vibration will caused to fall off. another very good possibility is the thickness of the cement based material was to thick and should of use a wire lath to keep it from breaking off. wrong materials used in my opinion with looking atg it.
« Last Edit: Jan 21st, 2006, 9:33pm by sailfishoney »  
Thank User For This Post  
IP Logged

billythekid
Trade Member

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

Total Thanks: 0

Trade: Plumber

Reply #12 - Feb 1st, 2006, 10:40pm

i see the chicks btw, i love those tiles. tony at tile it all doesnt seem to have them in stock for some reason...

btk

Thank User For This Post  
IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print