Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
Welcome To Ask The Trades!
Apr 20th, 2024, 8:57am
Quote: To invent, you need a good imagination and a pile of junk - Thomas Edison

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Finishing pine tongue & grooved (Read 4546 times)
Twobarrows
GDPR opt-out

Finishing pine tongue & grooved
May 3rd, 2006, 11:54pm

I am in the process of converting my games room into a 'pub' like room & want dark wood panelling. I plan to use tongue & grooved pine up to about 1100mm on the walls, stain it dark oak & then just wax it with beeswax & wire-wool. Is this OK & are there anythings I should be aware of ?

Of course I need a compressor & another nail gun to do the job as well - just got a Wolf 24l comp & Makita brad nailer, plus a router & a biscuit cutter. Toys, I love them Smiley

IP Logged

TIMBA-WOLF
Board Moderator

Timba-Wolf..... Var@*sh,
should be banned!!

Total Thanks: 15
For This Post: 0

KENT,(under a tree!!!!), United Kingdom
KENT,(under a tree!!!!)
United Kingdom

Trade: Joiner

Re: Finishing pine tongue & grooved
Reply #1 - May 4th, 2006, 12:05am

Your getting as bad as me  ..."toys"...."LOVE' em"... Grin Grin

some of the prepared timber is finished to such an extent that some of them do not take a stain very well.. so watch out on that point!! as it goes all blotchy!!! test a piece prior to actually applying it to the completed walls!!

as for the compresser, dont forget to drain the tank now and again, or you will get very stale water mix going through the tools!!!  Angry

at this time of night i cant think of much else to add other than to test your ideas on scrap pieces first!!!

AS HONEST AND LOYAL AS THE TIMBER-WOLF. --VAR@*SH, DON'T YOU SWEAR AT ME!! PAL!!&&I DON'T SUFFER FROM INSANITY- I DAMNED WELL ENJOY IT!!!!!
Thank User For This Post View members image gallery  
IP Logged

Twobarrows
Reply #2 - May 4th, 2006, 1:18am

[quote author=WOLF  link=1146696859/0#1 date=1146697511]Your getting as bad as me  ..."toys"...."LOVE' em"... Grin Grin

some of the prepared timber is finished to such an extent that some of them do not take a stain very well.. so watch out on that point!! as it goes all blotchy!!! test a piece prior to actually applying it to the completed walls!!

as for the compresser, dont forget to drain the tank now and again, or you will get very stale water mix going through the tools!!!  Angry

at this time of night i cant think of much else to add other than to test your ideas on scrap pieces first!!! [/quote]

Thanks Wolfy, good advice on testing first. I'm used to the idea of having to drain off compressors, our dive club has it's own compressor that needs contantly draining when filling up tanks.
And oiling the tools of course!

As for toys, theres not much left on my 'wish list'  - a bandsaw probably next year when I make the 'mud hut':
http://www.thelapacompany.co.uk/index.html

Now I've got a router I s'pose I really ought to use it Smiley

Thank User For This Post  
IP Logged

TIMBA-WOLF
Board Moderator

Timba-Wolf..... Var@*sh,
should be banned!!

KENT,(under a tree!!!!)
United Kingdom

Reply #3 - May 4th, 2006, 2:56pm

Mud hut... very posh!!!! Grin had a peek, very nice too!!

AS HONEST AND LOYAL AS THE TIMBER-WOLF. --VAR@*SH, DON'T YOU SWEAR AT ME!! PAL!!&&I DON'T SUFFER FROM INSANITY- I DAMNED WELL ENJOY IT!!!!!
IP Logged

Twobarrows
Reply #4 - May 5th, 2006, 2:27am

The missus saw one at the Ideal Home Show a couple of years ago & wanted to buy it on the spot - £13k (including all the furniture & a heater mind). I know the thatch is expensive (probably around a grand for the one I'm gonna build) but the rest is pretty basic gear I can throw together for next to nothing. The only difficult part to source is the 8" dia support poles. Plus the wife will pay for a bandsaw Smiley
I'll be gobsmacked if the whole thing comes to more than £2k (including lights etc.).

Thank User For This Post  
IP Logged

TIMBA-WOLF
Board Moderator

Timba-Wolf..... Var@*sh,
should be banned!!

KENT,(under a tree!!!!)
United Kingdom

Reply #5 - May 5th, 2006, 2:05pm

difficulty what difficulty!!!

poles ... Voila!!!!..........http://www.railwaysleeper.com/KFtelegraphpoles.htm...
sorry but you got no excuse now!!!!!! Grin Grin Grin Grin

IP Logged

Twobarrows
Reply #6 - May 5th, 2006, 2:51pm

This was the place I was planning on using:
http://www.southbucksestates.co.uk/acatalog/poles.html , but thanks for the link anyhow. I actually wrote the above post at about 04:00, but got tied up with other stuff & forgot to hit the post key !!!
« Last Edit: May 5th, 2006, 2:57pm by Twobarrows »  
Thank User For This Post  
IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print