Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
Welcome To Ask The Trades!
Mar 29th, 2024, 5:51am
Quote: A conclusion is the place where you got tired of thinking.

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Sensitive Question (Read 1733 times)
Searching

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

Total Thanks: 0
For This Post: 0

Sensitive Question
Jul 28th, 2006, 1:09pm

I have started a course on P& D at my local college having been made redundant for the nth time.

I hope to go self employed but need some general pointers on:

a) How to approach advertising
b) The charging side of things

Any help deeply appreciated.
« Last Edit: Jul 28th, 2006, 1:09pm by Searching »  
Thank User For This Post  
IP Logged

corablimey
Re: Sensitive Question
Reply #1 - Jul 28th, 2006, 6:54pm

welcome newbie  Smiley

firstly, have you done any painting and decorating work outside of the college?, reason being, normally the college only shows you the basic sides of decorating, you have to work with actual decorators and do a varity of jobs.

if you have done that and feel fairly confident thats fair enough, me personally,have done 3 years with a big building company, left it for a while to have kids, then went back to it, but did some work for firms and building sites, then went on my own (self employed)

the beauty of working with decorators, I mean the proper ones lol, is that you learn so much from them, more than any college will teach you.

Just work out how much you want per day, or what the going rate is in your area, work out how much you would have to pay out on your stamps, tax, holiday, public liabilty insurance etc,then add it all up and thats what you charge plus materials.

It may pay you to get some leaflets made up, I do it once every 18 months or so,, and I go out and put them thru letterboxes, you could offer a discount to begin with to work up your client base, after a while it will be word of mouth, but it can dry up the odd time, thats why it pays to keep your hand in with the leaflets.
or advertise in the newspaper, yellow pages etc, or put cards up in shop windows.

Explain on your advert what you can actually do, ie paperhanging, interior work or exterior work, free estimates, no job too small and all that.

Good luck  Smiley

Thank User For This Post  
IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print