Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
Welcome To Ask The Trades!
Mar 29th, 2024, 10:07am
Quote: A conscience is what hurts when all your other parts feel so good.

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
painting bare wood (Read 6392 times)
wretch
GDPR opt-out

painting bare wood
Aug 17th, 2006, 10:41pm

just fitted new wooden skirting and architrave in my kitchen.filled in all gaps with gripfill,now to paint it!
sand smooth
clean surface with white spirit
one coat of oil based primer
light rub down
one coat oil based undercoat
one coat oil based gloss
light rub down
final gloss coat
is this the best way or do i need a bit of professional guidance
these are jobs you do for years and suddenly realize no one has ever really shown you the best way to do it

best regards

wretch

IP Logged

TIMBA-WOLF
Board Moderator

Timba-Wolf..... Var@*sh,
should be banned!!

Total Thanks: 15
For This Post: 0

KENT,(under a tree!!!!), United Kingdom
KENT,(under a tree!!!!)
United Kingdom

Trade: Joiner

Re: painting bare wood
Reply #1 - Aug 18th, 2006, 12:19am

should have used stopper and oiled the timber!!
 but seeing as you want to paint it, i leave it in Hammy's or Cora's capable hands!!

one tip though, if you do clean down with white spirit, give it a light (fine) sand after the first wipe, as applying a liquid (spirit or other wise) to bare wood will raise the grain slightly, so as follows

. wipe with spirit, sand lightly when dry, wipe over again or use a tack cloth/rag! to remove dust/impurities! then apply an oil based primer/sealer!  (pink ones best!)... AFTER you have applied a knotting solution to any knots that are visable on the surface! or you can/will get bleed through of the knots!!!

"paint" grumble moan, ...Var@#sh, mumble groan!!!"

sulk! sulk!!

AS HONEST AND LOYAL AS THE TIMBER-WOLF. --VAR@*SH, DON'T YOU SWEAR AT ME!! PAL!!&&I DON'T SUFFER FROM INSANITY- I DAMNED WELL ENJOY IT!!!!!
Thank User For This Post View members image gallery  
IP Logged

woodsmith
Global Moderator
Trade Member
Author

Total Thanks: 135

Reply #2 - Aug 18th, 2006, 1:58am

TIMBA-WOLF wrote on Aug 18th, 2006, 12:19am:

sulk! sulk!!

Grin just a bit of pine, not too bad Roll Eyes

I prefer two coats of undercoat and one gloss Undecided if I have to paint.

IP Logged

corablimey
Reply #3 - Aug 18th, 2006, 8:56am

If the knots havent been pre-treated then you must dab all the knots with knotting prior to any painting, as a year or so down the line the knotts will bleed thru, and its a bugger to put right through all the layers pf paint.
Either use an old brush or a bit of cotton wool and dab on the knots, it will dry very quickly then prime.

Personally I would do at least 2 coats of the oilbase U/C, you get a nicer finish, and in between coats you will see little indents holes or nicks, as the more white you put on the more it shows.

So you might have to do a bit more filling in between coats, if you are having new wood, and want a smooth finish to last, then its best you do spend the time and do it the right way from the very beginning.

It breaks my heart if I go in and repaint doors, frames etc, and I see the knotting bleeding thru, for the sake of 10 mins or so, it can all be avoided. Smiley

Thank User For This Post  
IP Logged

wretch
Reply #4 - Aug 18th, 2006, 5:34pm

thanx for the advice everyone.i'll try two undercoat and one gloss and of course i'll treat the knots!as for varnish and stain go i did an old outside s---house once and it looked very nice

Thank User For This Post  
IP Logged

hammy
Trade Member

Deep joy

Total Thanks: 8

Trade: Decorator

Reply #5 - Aug 18th, 2006, 10:28pm

Can't add to anything Cora has said really, she has covered it well.
Just don't forget to hoover up round the base of the skirting and make sure there is no dust about, and use a tack rag after sanding.

Deep joy
Thank User For This Post  
IP Logged

Bayden_Rank
Reply #6 - Aug 21st, 2006, 7:47pm

TIMBA-WOLF wrote on Aug 18th, 2006, 12:19am:
should have used stopper and oiled the timber!!
 but seeing as you want to paint it, i leave it in Hammy's or Cora's capable hands!!

one tip though, if you do clean down with white spirit, give it a light (fine) sand after the first wipe, as applying a liquid (spirit or other wise) to bare wood will raise the grain slightly, so as follows

. wipe with spirit, sand lightly when dry, wipe over again or use a tack cloth/rag! to remove dust/impurities! then apply an oil based primer/sealer!  (pink ones best!)... AFTER you have applied a knotting solution to any knots that are visable on the surface! or you can/will get bleed through of the knots!!!

sulk! sulk!!
Just so as you do not feel ignored - I am finishing my new (created from reclaimed boards - made from beams and smell lovely) bathhroom floor with hard oil. This is due to advice you have given in the past.

Thank User For This Post  
IP Logged

wretch
Reply #7 - Aug 21st, 2006, 7:54pm

so now the wood is taken care of,just got to finish gloss it,how can i prepare the newly plastered(thats a laugh) walls.there are quite a few areas of filler and lots of little knocks that need covering.the problem is the different surface finishes often show up especially with downlights.the walls have had a thin coat of pva to keep the dust down.i want to finish them with a matt kitch & bath emulsion.

best regards

wretch

Thank User For This Post  
IP Logged

corablimey
Reply #8 - Aug 22nd, 2006, 7:24am

Thats the downside of plastered walls, they look lovely in the natural light, but get the artificial light on them and it shows every nic and indent.

you can either paint them with a white quite thin miscoat, or if you have a lot of the colour specially if its quite light you can use that, this will show up every nic etc, give the walls a light sand down before you do this, as you will have loads of nibs on the plaster.

After you have miscoated and you fill all the nics and indents, rub them down, and then whack some paint on the filled areas with a brush at least 2-3 times, then do your normal coats.

This is called 'spotting the filler' and what happens is if you dont spot and just roll as normal, then the white filled areas will 'flash' show thru the paint, I never have this as I always spot at least 3 times.

In between coats again give a light sand down with either a worn bit of sandpaper, or very fine, and carry on with your coats.

I have said this on other threads, but when you do your final coat, cut in and roll one wall at a time, you get a far better finish.

Also, Use a good quality Matt paint, dont use silk, or soft sheen, its sort of okay for skimmed plaster, but silk and soft sheen isnt very kind to the walls, it tends to empathise and lumps and bumps in the walls.

Thank User For This Post  
IP Logged

TIMBA-WOLF
Board Moderator

Timba-Wolf..... Var@*sh,
should be banned!!

Total Thanks: 15

KENT,(under a tree!!!!), United Kingdom
KENT,(under a tree!!!!)
United Kingdom

Reply #9 - Aug 22nd, 2006, 4:35pm

Paint the walls with "SUEDE" paint...???? Shocked Shocked

no marks then at all!!!!!

confused??

N.B: this is an actual product!!!!) Shocked Shocked

AS HONEST AND LOYAL AS THE TIMBER-WOLF. --VAR@*SH, DON'T YOU SWEAR AT ME!! PAL!!&&I DON'T SUFFER FROM INSANITY- I DAMNED WELL ENJOY IT!!!!!
IP Logged

wretch
Reply #10 - Aug 22nd, 2006, 11:56pm

thanx cora

two coats of undercoat gives a really deep base for the gloss so i will follow your advise on spotting the walls .

best regards

wretch

Thank User For This Post  
IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print