Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
Welcome To Ask The Trades!
Apr 23rd, 2024, 9:43pm
Quote: Going to church doesn't make you a Christian any more than standing in a garage makes you a car

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Under floor heating and also Tiling! (Read 2786 times)
kp1512
GDPR opt-out

Under floor heating and also Tiling!
Sep 8th, 2006, 5:58pm

Hi

I didnt want to hijack a thread earlier down but this is the issue (if its an issue!)

Currently re-doing my bathroom and half of it is Tiled and the other half painted. We want to tile the whole thing....so do you thing its worth removing the tiles from the tiled part or tiling them over?

Secondly...we are thinking of putting Underfloor Cables in...as opposed to the Mat due to the nature of the floor plan in the bathroom.....its wood plants on joist per normal.....I was told to put down 12 mm Ply , then the cable, then adhesive and tile on top......is there anything else I should be aware of?....insulation etc?..the total area for the heated section is no more than 2m squared and thats being generous!

Many thanks!

K

IP Logged

jasonB
GDPR opt-out

Re: Under floor heating and also Tiling!
Reply #1 - Sep 8th, 2006, 6:22pm

It would be best to remove the old tiles. You also need to check the adhesion of the paint. Firmly press some duct/carpet tape onto the wall in several places, leave for 10mins then remove, if the paint comes away with the tape you need to remove all the paint.

For the floor either overboard with a minimum of 15mm ply screwed down at 200mm cts, stick & screw Aquapanel to the boards or remove the old planks and fix 25mm ply straight to the joists. I don't generally use insulation on upper timber floors.

Use a flexible tile adhesive and flexible grout.

Jason

IP Logged

kp1512
GDPR opt-out

Reply #2 - Sep 8th, 2006, 6:34pm

Jason

Thanks for that!...What would you do in my shoes?..remove the planks and then use 25mm Ply Wood?.....then lay the cable and tile over?......

IP Logged

jasonB
GDPR opt-out

Reply #3 - Sep 8th, 2006, 8:08pm

Thats what I do in 90% of my jobs, doesn't give a big step at the door and makes it easy to run any new pipework as well as giving a nice even surface to tile onto.

J.

IP Logged

kp1512
GDPR opt-out

Reply #4 - Sep 9th, 2006, 8:18pm

Jason

When you say it makes it easier to run new pipework....do you mean so that its easier to cut into the Ply?.....rather than Planks?.......As the Ply sheets are large obv

Jay

IP Logged

jasonB
GDPR opt-out

Reply #5 - Sep 10th, 2006, 8:03am

If you lift all the old boards you have easy access to the whole floor void to alter and adapt the existing pipework which makes it a lot easier than trying to make a joint with limited access. Also if the house had chipboard floors they never go back down as well the second time.

Jason

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print