Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
Welcome To Ask The Trades!
Mar 28th, 2024, 2:15pm
Quote: Why is it one careless match can start a forest fire, but it takes a whole box to start a campfire?

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Baxi 105e combi flame failure (Read 8290 times)
ecamp
GDPR opt-out

Baxi 105e combi flame failure
May 20th, 2008, 4:55pm

Hi,
I read about the guys that were having the flame failure problem, I have the same problem but my circumstances are slightly different. I live in Spain and the boiler runs on small cans of propane. The problem comes when one can runs out and I connect a new one. Without fail the 'flame failure' light flashes. I try resetting it again and again, eventually I can get it going again but sometimes it takes half an hour, other times it took over 3 weeks of trying it every day for awhile each day. The boiler is only 1 and a half years old.
Luckily I have an electric boiler as a back up but its rubbish to run compared to the gas one (when it works!)
Any ideas???
Cheers,
Euan

IP Logged

thescruff
Global Moderator
Trade Member
Author

Who said plumbing was
easy.

Total Thanks: 147
For This Post: 0

Trade: Plumber

Re: Baxi 105e combi flame failure
Reply #1 - May 21st, 2008, 1:01am

If your running the bottle out each time then the flame thingy will shut it off.

You should have an auto changover valve fitted, otherwise you will need to purge the line every time

Thank User For This Post View members image gallery  
IP Logged

ecamp
Reply #2 - May 21st, 2008, 3:10pm

Thanks for your advice, I will do as you say.
Sorry if I sound a bit thick but how would I purge the line? I really could do with getting the boiler going ASAP.
Cheers,
Euan
« Last Edit: May 21st, 2008, 7:10pm by ecamp »  
Thank User For This Post  
IP Logged

lovejoy
Reply #3 - May 21st, 2008, 8:52pm

shut off the gas cock underneath the boiler, undo the gas supply nut, make sure room is well ventilated open the gas cock and let it flow untill u have gas at that point the shut the gas cock reconnect to the boiler, gas line / pipe work now purged, once again make sure plenty ventilation while purging

Thank User For This Post  
IP Logged

ecamp
Reply #4 - May 21st, 2008, 11:58pm

thanks for replying so quickly!
Please understand that this is the first gas boiler that I've ever had in a house I've lived in so I'm a complete amateur!
I've took the front panel of the boiler and had a good look, I can see where the flexi-hose enters the boiler,  then there is a bend then some kind of nut that half turns either right or left. You can either use an allan key or a screwdriver to turn this nut. Is this the gas supply nut or cock? After this nut the pipe heads up in to what looks like some kind of diaphram then up into the burner, I can't see any other nuts/cocks?
Sorry for being so ignorant but the previous owner of my house didn't even leave the instruction manual for the boiler.
Cheers,
Euan

Thank User For This Post  
IP Logged

greg
Reply #5 - May 22nd, 2008, 7:22am

Don't purge too much though as LPG is heavier than air - supposed to burn off as you purge - do you have a cooker or such connected to the LPG aswell

Thank User For This Post  
IP Logged

ecamp
Reply #6 - May 23rd, 2008, 6:11pm

No , only have the boiler connected to the gas can. The boiler is actually outside the house in a covered over area of my patio. As I asked previously is it straightforward to purge the line? If so how exactly do I go about it,  bearing in mind I've never looked even looked at a gas boiler before! More than willing to try though.
Cheers, Euan

Thank User For This Post  
IP Logged

lovejoy
Reply #7 - May 28th, 2008, 1:04pm

i think if you dont eaven know where the gas inlet to the boiler is you should get in a pro to do it and maybe watch him and learn for the next time

Thank User For This Post  
IP Logged

ecamp
Reply #8 - May 28th, 2008, 2:35pm

Good point!
Ta

Thank User For This Post  
IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print