Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
Welcome To Ask The Trades!
Mar 29th, 2024, 11:25am
Quote: Why do people without a watch look at their wrist when you ask them what time it is?

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Roller marks (Read 6030 times)
jimcam
GDPR opt-out

Roller marks
Sep 24th, 2008, 4:47pm

When I've finished rolling a wall or ceiling, I can often see roller marks after it's dried out.  Sad

Why is this? Am I not being generous enough when loading the roller with paint - or spreading the paint too far?

IP Logged

hammy
Trade Member

Deep joy

Total Thanks: 8
For This Post: 0

Trade: Decorator

Re: Roller marks
Reply #1 - Sep 25th, 2008, 11:08am

All depends on what you mean by 'roller marks' JC.  If you mean the 'orange peel' effect that is quite normal. If you mean tramlines that's not so good. The shinier the finish ie, silk emulsion as opposed to matt, the more the imperfections show out.

Put plenty of paint on and roll it out as evenly as you can, finishing off with not to much pressure on the roller. Have a small roller with you so you can get as close to the ceiling rose and light switch etc as you can. Cut it in with a brush first then finish with the small roller.

Deep joy
Thank User For This Post  
IP Logged

Twobarrows
Reply #2 - Sep 25th, 2008, 3:59pm

.....and if you have more than one room to do, shell out for a decent professional quality roller & arm. It will cost, but is soo much easier, quicker & better.  I wish I'd bought my Purdy years ago, it would have saved me an awful lot of aches and pains (dodgy rotator cuffs); it also would have meant I could have spent more time in the pub!!!

Thank User For This Post  
IP Logged

jimcam
Reply #3 - Sep 25th, 2008, 6:58pm

Thanks fellas.  Smiley

Yes, I think it's the 'orange peel' effect rather than tramlines. You can see where the roller's been and there doesn't seem to be enough paint on the surface. I'll make sure the roller's loaded up enough and not spread one roller's worth too far. A small roller's a good idea too.

Maybe I'll get a decent roller too - more time in the pub sounds good!

Thank User For This Post  
IP Logged

jimcam
Reply #4 - Jun 4th, 2009, 8:49pm

This is still driving me nuts!  Angry

Even when using matt paints I'm getting marks that show up on walls that are perpendicular to windows (eg halls and landings) where the light plays off the surface.

I roll out a metre square section and move on to the next and then do a top to bottom roll on each area but I'm still not getting a totally uniform finish. And any touching up later leaves marks that catch the light.

Is the roller 'orange peel' problem just something you have to put up with or are there ways round it? Any more tips please?!

Thank User For This Post  
IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print