Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
Welcome To Ask The Trades!
Mar 28th, 2024, 11:53pm
Quote: A conscience is what hurts when all your other parts feel so good.

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Sottini Toilet Cistern (Read 7769 times)
paul1974
GDPR opt-out

Sottini Toilet Cistern
Jan 31st, 2009, 5:32pm

Hi

I have a problem with a sottini toilet cistern.  The arm holding the ball valve is not returning to the correct position after flushing.  As a result the cistern appears to be continuing to refill.  It is overflowing into the toilet (no overflow pipe).  It is only a trickle at the moment but would be nice to fix it.

The picture below shows the inside of the cistern.  The arrow indicates the arm that is not returning to the correct position.

Is there anything I can do to fix it as a DIY job?

I would be grateful for any suggestions!!

Thanks v much,

Paul

IP Logged

CWatters

"Daddy fick it" says James

Total Thanks: 58
For This Post: 0

Re: Sottini Toilet Cistern
Reply #1 - Jan 31st, 2009, 8:15pm

Most likely scale or a fault. Probably best to just replace the whole float valve assembly. That looks like a fairly standard "bottom entry" cistern float valve. Take it to a good plumbers merchants ti compare with what they have. It will be something like this..

http://www.screwfix.com/prods/55211/Plumbing/Toilet-Fittings/Adjustable-Height-B...

It need not look 100% identical or be the same make. Different makes look slightly different. It just has to be a similar size so that it fits in the cistern.
« Last Edit: Jan 31st, 2009, 8:26pm by CWatters »  
Thank User For This Post View members image gallery  
IP Logged

TIMBA-WOLF
Board Moderator

Timba-Wolf..... Var@*sh,
should be banned!!

Total Thanks: 15
For This Post: 0

KENT,(under a tree!!!!), United Kingdom
KENT,(under a tree!!!!)
United Kingdom

Trade: Joiner

Reply #2 - Jan 31st, 2009, 11:07pm

looking at the valve, it could be either a torn or cr4p laden inner seal, the float arm pushes a button back into the valve, which in turn makes the seal via the rubber seal, turn off the water to the cistern, flush to get rid of the water in the cistern... then carefully remove the large knurled nut at the front by the float arm... this will release the inner assembly, be carefull to note how it comes apart, remove the inner rubber seal, and (note which way round it sits) check first for a small tear, and if not clean it of any bits and pieces of scale etc... also look into the body of the valve for scale deposits...

re-assemble, and check!!!!

had this problem with Sot's units before for a freind!!
« Last Edit: Jan 31st, 2009, 11:07pm by TIMBA-WOLF »  

AS HONEST AND LOYAL AS THE TIMBER-WOLF. --VAR@*SH, DON'T YOU SWEAR AT ME!! PAL!!&&I DON'T SUFFER FROM INSANITY- I DAMNED WELL ENJOY IT!!!!!
Thank User For This Post View members image gallery  
IP Logged

paul1974
Reply #3 - Feb 1st, 2009, 7:14pm

Thanks v much for the suggestions.  I think it was just a build up of scale.  I've taken it apart, cleaned it up and it seems to be working ok now.  Fingers crossed it will stay that way.  Also forced me to work out how to turn off the water to my loo - invaluable knowledge!

Thanks again.

Thank User For This Post  
IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print