Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
Welcome To Ask The Trades!
Apr 25th, 2024, 10:03pm
Quote: I almost had a psychic girlfriend, ..... but she left me before we met.

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Under floor heating (Read 1924 times)
coley
GDPR opt-out

Under floor heating
Mar 11th, 2009, 8:51am

Hi,

I was wondering if underfloor heating for a small en suite about 8ftx4ft would be expensive? Does it come in a roll and simply get laid on the floorboard? Or is it more technical? Who would do it a plumber or sparky? Its an optional extra we are considering but dont know if it is worth the hassle???

IP Logged

Zambezi
GDPR opt-out

Re: Under floor heating
Reply #1 - Mar 11th, 2009, 9:50am

There are loads of options with under floor heating.
You ask if it is expensive, define expensive?
You normally need a programmer/thermostat and either heating matt or heating cable (different brands use different methods).
The types I have used can go on top of your floor boards (or ply), then you tile on top of the heat mat. You need to specify to the supplier that is is for going on top of a wooden floor because there is a different type for going on top of concrete/screed floors.
Normally a bathroom fitter will install it but you need to make sure they are Part P registered ("competent" to do the electrics). Other option would be for the bathroom fitter/plumber/tiler to lay the heating mat and a Part P registered electrician to connect it up.

If you do a quick Google for under floor heating you will get an idea of how much it costs. Different brands = different prices. I have used Devi, which is not cheap but it is good.

Really makes a difference with under floor heating and I am sure you will be very happy if you do fit it!

IP Logged

thescruff
Global Moderator
Trade Member
Author

Who said plumbing was
easy.

Total Thanks: 147
For This Post: 0

Trade: Plumber

Reply #2 - Mar 11th, 2009, 2:59pm

Are you allowed to fit electric underfloor in a protected area  Shocked

Thank User For This Post View members image gallery  
IP Logged

greg
Reply #3 - Mar 11th, 2009, 6:04pm

thescruff wrote on Mar 11th, 2009, 2:59pm:
Are you allowed to fit electric underfloor in a protected area  Shocked

Yes, would have to be RCD protected though, and meant to leave details of the installation by the consumer unit

Thank User For This Post  
IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print