Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
Welcome To Ask The Trades!
Apr 20th, 2024, 5:20am
Quote: A bus station is where a bus stops. A train station is where a train stops. On my desk I have a work station...

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Cleaning old door for painting after burning off (Read 2445 times)
kamog
GDPR opt-out

Cleaning old door for painting after burning off
May 19th, 2009, 7:18am

I removed multiple coats of paint. Came off fairly easily but the external door has a slightly 'greasy' feel too it despite scraping carefully. The surface is smooth and looks ok but when I try sanding a few areas just to get it looking right for paint the paper clogs quite quickly. I am wonderiing if there is someting like varnish remaining and if his would affect my choice of paint? The surface looks a bit browner than I would expect.

IP Logged

woodsmith
Global Moderator
Trade Member
Author

Total Thanks: 135
For This Post: 0

Trade: Joiner

Re: Cleaning old door for painting after burning off
Reply #1 - May 19th, 2009, 7:14pm

Have you tried scraping it off with a cabinet scraper?

Other than that you could try using a rag soaked in white spirit and see if that brings off the residue.

Thank User For This Post View members image gallery  
IP Logged

hammy
Trade Member

Deep joy

Total Thanks: 8
For This Post: 0

Trade: Decorator

Re: Cleaning old door for painting after burning off
Reply #2 - May 20th, 2009, 4:37pm

What size and shape are these areas? If they are fairly small they are probably knots and require cleaning with meths and a couple of coats of shellac knotting on the top.

If it is all over the door it could be an original coat of varnish. If so do as Mr Sdoow says and wipe with some white spirit. If it can be sanded nice and smooth leave it on there and paint over it.

Deep joy
Thank User For This Post  
IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print