Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
Welcome To Ask The Trades!
Apr 18th, 2024, 1:44pm
Quote: Why is the alphabet in that order? Is it because of that song?

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Painting over impression left by heavily embossed (Read 2708 times)
woodcook
GDPR opt-out

Painting over impression left by heavily embossed
May 19th, 2009, 12:43pm

I have removed the wallpaper used by the last occupant and at sometime in the past there has been a very heavily embossed wallpaper put on directly over the paint that is used as the first coat on the plaster.  It has left a network of paint and bare plaster in the image of the old paper.  

Is there a paint product that is available to fill/hide this pattern in paint or will I have to re paper the walls?  I would prefer to paint as it gives me more flexibility to redecorate in the future.

Thanks
Paul
Huh

IP Logged

woodsmith
Global Moderator
Trade Member
Author

Total Thanks: 135
For This Post: 0

Trade: Joiner

Re: Painting over impression left by heavily embossed
Reply #1 - May 19th, 2009, 7:21pm

Hamilton may know of something but I have never found any of the "cover the cracks" type paints really do a decent job. You could perhaps line it with a thick lining paper and then paint the lining paper, but if its currently very 3D you may well see it through that. I had a similar problem where the paint came away from the plaster in a big patch, I re-skimmed the wall with plaster in the end.

Thank User For This Post View members image gallery  
IP Logged

hammy
Trade Member

Deep joy

Total Thanks: 8
For This Post: 0

Trade: Decorator

Re: Painting over impression left by heavily embossed
Reply #2 - May 20th, 2009, 4:30pm

I assume you mean that the paper you took off has brought the paint off the wall, so where the pattern was you have an indentation.

Hard to say without actually seeing it but all I can suggest is filling it and lining it with a thick lining paper, possibly 2000 grade.

Once you have painted over that a couple of times you will have a good base to decorate on in the future.

Filling it will be a pain but as they say, 'no pain, no gain.'
Don't forget to size the walls before hanging the paper.

Deep joy
Thank User For This Post  
IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print