How many coats (Read 8399 times)
birty
Trade Member

Total Thanks: 0
For This Post: 0

Trade: Electrician

How many coats
May 27th, 2009, 4:33pm

Painting new plaster.. Full House!! Cry  Rollered on one watered down coat (2 water to 10 paint) Do I give second coat a bit of water aswell???  How many coats in total do you think- was gonna use Dulux 'Light space' paint  Begining to think spray gun might be a good idea??

Thank User For This Post View members image gallery  
IP Logged

Zambezi
Re: How many coats
Reply #1 - May 27th, 2009, 4:50pm

I would use a cheap contract white emulsion (watered down as you mentioned) for the first coat, then give it 1 or 2 coats of Light Space. Light Space is quite expensive and it seems a shame to use it as a mist/piss coat.
I use Wickes Pro paints for most things, it is a bit more expensive than their budget contract paint but I like the coverage. You also get "paint for new plaster" but I think it may be a bit gimmicky?

Thank User For This Post  
IP Logged

birty
Trade Member

Reply #2 - May 27th, 2009, 9:54pm

Decision made!! Checked out my mates spray gun and finish and gonna do 2 coats of wastered coat and then 1 or 2 finish coats.  Tried with roller today and threw towel in.  Mugs game!! Spray gun here we come!! Just wondering if Dulux light/space is actually a gimic though?

IP Logged

Zambezi
Reply #3 - May 27th, 2009, 10:04pm

I have used L&S a couple of times and it is strange, it is matt but shines like gloss (which makes no sense but you will see what I mean when it is on). I used it on communal stair wells etc where it can be a bit dark and dingy, it helped to brighten it up a bit.
Value for money, not so sure, but then again I don't think any Dulux paint is VFM (I am a tight git  Grin)

Thank User For This Post  
IP Logged

Zambezi
Reply #4 - May 27th, 2009, 10:06pm

PS let me know how you get on with the spray gun set-up, it is something we have talked about on here before.
Which gun/spray system are you using etc.?

They are quite popular in the States and I think they are being used on new builds over here more and more.

Thank User For This Post  
IP Logged

birty
Trade Member

Reply #5 - May 27th, 2009, 10:32pm

Wagner Project Pro 117. Watched him set up and use today. Put the supply tube into a 10 litre bucket and away he went...Looked awesome. Gotta 'mask up' and also spend a bit o time covering windows etc but as theres no skirtings/ architraves to dodge then It looks awesome. The coverage was great compared to my roller but thats because it does use the paint up quicly but thats good coverage 4 ya... Non patchy and great finish...Time factor is un believable. Gonna charge me for £20 per day. Final coat may be tricky where colours meet but if you cut in a bit larger area then spray coverage is pretty controllable/ direction
keep ya posted.  I will finish this bl..dy self build this year Undecided

IP Logged

Zambezi
Reply #6 - May 27th, 2009, 10:49pm

Thanx Birty.
Just a warning, don't burn it out as it is rated as a DIY system not a trade (all day) system. It may say how long you should use it for before giving it a rest and how long to let it rest between uses?
I watched a clip on Youtube for a similar model, it looks pretty good.

Thank User For This Post  
IP Logged

birty
Trade Member

Reply #7 - Jun 3rd, 2009, 9:37am

Used it and Wow  Grin.  Positives are SPEED, and Finish. 1 and half days to do Mist coat on whole of Thirteen roomed, 4 bed  (3 Large rooms and large open Hallway) House. And that includes Masking lots of things up and moving things about to clear rooms.
1 coat is enough for under/ mist coat!! Good coverage!!
Negatives- Room must be empty so you can move freely so as to avoid overspray, runs etc.
Spray particles do go everwhare especialy when doing ceilings.
Also difficult to mask up because draught from spray disturbs it. Got no skirtings, architraves downstairs yet so awesome.
Uses paint at rapid rate so not sure how it compares to roller. Used aprox 90 Litres on undercoat. Must have a rethink about final coats before buying it (Cant believe what price paint is per litre, and wonder how other cheaper brands compare to Dulux??? Undecided)

IP Logged

Zambezi
Reply #8 - Jun 3rd, 2009, 9:42am

That does sound quick!
Try the Wickes pro paints, they are about 1/2 the price of Dulux and I prefer them. Try some on 1 room first to see how you get on with it.

Thank User For This Post  
IP Logged

birty
Trade Member

Reply #9 - Jun 3rd, 2009, 9:49am

Thanks for help/ advice on this. Have posted another one related to paint prices ..

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print