Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
Welcome To Ask The Trades!
Mar 28th, 2024, 10:13am
Quote: Going to church doesn't make you a Christian any more than standing in a garage makes you a car

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Boarding suitable for travertine tiling (Read 5973 times)
jimbo jones
GDPR opt-out

Boarding suitable for travertine tiling
May 31st, 2009, 11:41am

MORNING ALL    I hope you fellas can help me, i've got a project coming up involving stripping out the bathroom and retiling.  The walls are completely out and i was planning to strip back to bare brick and board before tiling in 400x600 travertine tiles.
   So first up i need to know what type of board is recommended for a bath/shower area and the best way to fix. Is it a typical dot and dab method and would this be strong enough to support the weight of the tiles? I've looked at a lot of forums but most only seem to cover attatching to stud walls.
    Also if you've got any suggestions regarding waterproofing. Have read about sealing the tiles and BAL products etc.
   A lastly would you board to the floor behind the bath or is that just a waste of time and money. Current bath suite obviously being replaced.
     Like  i say any help gratefully received.  CHEERS  JIM

IP Logged

Zambezi
GDPR opt-out

Re: Boarding suitable for travertine tiling
Reply #1 - May 31st, 2009, 5:28pm

Welcome to ATT Jimbo!
I don't see anything wrong with dot and dab (as long as there are enough dots and dabs  Wink) or you could batten the walls with batons that are packed out to make them level, then fix you boards to the battens.
As for boards, there are 101 options. If it is a normal bathroom then you could use a moisture resistant plasterboard (available from most builders merchants, not from DIY sheds). It is not water proof but it is better at dealing with moisture than normal plasterboard.
You get various makes of cement boards like Aquapanel (Wickes) and some others that I can't remember... I think Hardi-backer board (??) They are very heavy and more suited to showers and wet-rooms than your average bathroom, more expensive too.
If you want the best of both worlds then use Aquapanel around the bath and MR plasterboard everywhere else (you can use normal plaster board too).
I have also seen people using ply and tiling directly onto it.

If you are planning a wet-room then you can use a proper wet-room system, there are loads available, normally very expensive. Some are membranes that you stick to walls and floors before tiling, some are boards that use tapes and seams etc on the joints, like Wedi board or Marmox. They are pretty expensive. The boards are lightweight and easy to work with, they too use tapes etc to seal the joints.

I guess the system will depend on what you want to achieve and how much you want to spend.

IP Logged

CWatters

"Daddy fick it" says James

Total Thanks: 58
For This Post: 0

Re: Boarding suitable for travertine tiling
Reply #2 - Jun 1st, 2009, 7:46am

We also have a travertine bathroom. My builder recommended Hardibacker board. It's a cement based waterproof board. Quite hard to cut. We used it on all the walls including the shower.  Very solid.

Floors need special consideration if you plan to tile them. The recommendation seems to be for multiple layers screwed down on 300mm centers (loads of screws!) to make it rigid.

If you are fitting a bath that is sealed to the wall it's essential to make sure that the whole bath is rigidly mounted - any movement and the silicon bath seal won't last. In some houses the chipboard floor flexes slightly when weight is applied. You have to fix that if tiling the floor. If you aren't taking up the floor consider fixing down something like two layers of WPB under the feet of the bath to stiffen up the whole area. Fix a batten to the wall for the lip of the bath to rest on or better still make a wooden box frame for whole bath. Adjust the feet properly. Before fixing the bath in place make a test. Put the bath in place and draw a pencil line on the wall. Climb in and out of the bath and look for any movement of the bath relative to the pencil line. The less movement the longer the bath seal will last.

We opted for one of these free standing baths! No more silicon for me!...

http://www.sanctuary-bathrooms.co.uk/prodimages/BoatBath.jpg

« Last Edit: Jun 1st, 2009, 7:46am by CWatters »  
Thank User For This Post View members image gallery  
IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print