Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
Welcome To Ask The Trades!
Mar 28th, 2024, 10:19am
Quote: If at first you don't succeed, destroy all evidence that you tried.

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Fitting UPVc Windows (Read 9618 times)
side-show-bob55
GDPR opt-out

Fitting UPVc Windows
Jun 5th, 2009, 2:13pm

Hi all

I am going to fit my new UPVc windows and French doors this weekend, the question i have is;

Do i just need to get the frames in square and then clip the glass units in? I did not get any packers so i am assuming they don't need toe and heeling, is this a safe assumption?

Any advice would be grate

Cheers

Rob

IP Logged

woodsmith
Global Moderator
Trade Member
Author

Total Thanks: 135
For This Post: 0

Trade: Joiner

Re: Fitting UPVc Windows
Reply #1 - Jun 5th, 2009, 6:06pm

Did you not get any instructions with the windows?

I haven't fitted UPVC windows for over 10 years so things may well have changed, but I seem to remember the ones I fitted came with packers and you will definately need to toe and heel the door if it is not going to sag.

There are some good instructions here;

http://www.dalmatianwindows.co.uk/education_how-to-fit.htm

Thank User For This Post View members image gallery  
IP Logged

wozzy
Trade Member

Ask The Trades

Total Thanks: 4

Trade: Electrician

Reply #2 - Jun 5th, 2009, 6:30pm

when i used to fit them all side hung sashes were packed aswell as the doors and sills. We would get through quite a few packers on big jobs.

Fitting UPVC is fairly easy to do, bung it in the hole foam it up approach, but hard to do correctly.  If you get it wrong u will spend loads of time adjusting doors and sashes when they wont close.  Much easier to get it right in the first place.

The other thing to consider is does the job need a FENSA certificate?
I have little idea about FENSA and when it is required, but i believe its the same as PART P in that it can give rise to problems if u are trying to sell your house and dont have the cert.  I maybe wrong there though.

All advice is at least two years out of date.
IP Logged

side-show-bob55
Reply #3 - Jun 5th, 2009, 9:45pm

Hi thanks for the help. The windows came without any packers, should i have some if so where other than where i bought the windows can i get some?

The issue with been FENSA certified i will cover by getting the building inspector out to certify the job.

Thank User For This Post  
IP Logged

wozzy
Trade Member

Ask The Trades

Total Thanks: 4

Trade: Electrician

Reply #4 - Jun 5th, 2009, 10:07pm

i would not try to fit the glass without packers, every window i have ever glazed i have used packers, your windows may be different to the ones i used to fit though.

How are you planning to fix the frames out of interest?

I am prepared to be wrong cos as it says im a electrician, but i can only advise according to the ones i used to fit.

All advice is at least two years out of date.
IP Logged

side-show-bob55
Reply #5 - Jun 6th, 2009, 7:46am

I am going to fix the frames using fame bolts. How do you know where to put the packers? are they used to square up the glass?

Thank User For This Post  
IP Logged

CWatters

"Daddy fick it" says James

Total Thanks: 58

Reply #6 - Jun 10th, 2009, 7:36am

Should be flat spacers/packers under the glass to center it within the frame vertically or you may see the spacer between the panes at the top. Should be flat not wedges so that both panes are supported. They also to help with drainage. If water is allowed to collect and freeze around the bottom seal it can damage the seal.
« Last Edit: Jun 10th, 2009, 7:38am by CWatters »  
IP Logged

Joiner
Trade Member

Ask The Trades

Total Thanks: 7

Bridgnorth, Shropshire, England
Bridgnorth, Shropshire
England

Trade: Joiner

Reply #7 - Jun 10th, 2009, 9:14am

They'll have been fited by now, but...

CWatters is right about the drainage. Unit manufacturers will not honour the guarantee if packers haven't been used, although if they don't come on site I don't see how they can know anyway! Use a smear of sealant to hold them in place.

It's good practice to heel and toe units in any hinged component, regardless of size, whether upvc or wood.

All the upvc fitters I know now use the conscrews (screwing directly into a pilot hole in the brickwork/masonry), and I now use them for fitting all my timber windows and doors because they give such a positive fastening. Because they give such a good secure fastening packers are essential to prevent distorting the frame.

(Incidentally, conscrews are perfect for securing joints in timber where you're screwing into the cut end of a section, when normal screws would tend to pull along the grain and fail conscrews hold because they cut their own "thread".)

IP Logged

CWatters

"Daddy fick it" says James

Total Thanks: 58

Reply #8 - Jun 12th, 2009, 8:15am

Thanks for that tip about end grain screws.

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print