Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
Welcome To Ask The Trades!
Apr 19th, 2024, 5:24pm
Quote: Experience is something you don't get until just after you need it.

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Front door frame (Read 3506 times)
Fed up female
GDPR opt-out

Front door frame
Jul 19th, 2009, 8:57am

Advice needed again please  Huh The bottom of my front door frame is rotten on both sides of the doorway, only about 3 inches of it where it meets the floor . Is it possible that rather than having a new one put in (no money!) I could either cut out that section and put a new block in or maybe fill it with some sort of wood filler?

Or is it a case of some things just have to be renewed?

More "walking on water" please  Smiley
« Last Edit: Jul 19th, 2009, 8:58am by Fed_up_female »  

IP Logged

Joiner
Trade Member

Ask The Trades

Total Thanks: 7
For This Post: 0

Bridgnorth, Shropshire, England
Bridgnorth, Shropshire
England

Trade: Joiner

Re: Front door frame
Reply #1 - Jul 19th, 2009, 10:25am

I'm afraid I don't have that exalted status. I did try it once but nearly drowned, I was only saved when some bloke in a long flowing white robe and rather stringy beard came along and pulled me out. Don't know what he had on his feet, but he didn't seem to be having the same sinking problem as me.

Anyway, back to your door.

It's a common repair. Slotting the "block" in you'll hear described as "scarfing in a repair piece."

Look carefully at the length of wood that the door closes against all around the sides and top, that's your rebate (nothing to do with council tax). If it's obviously a separate piece "planted on" then you prise that off and discard it 'cos it's probably as rotten as the casing, its removal also makes the next bit easier.

You really need to cut out the rotten piece using a 45o cut going upwards from its lowest point on the door side of the frame to its highest point where the frame meets the wall. That's what a chippie would do. However, unless you're prepared to have a go at that, you could just get away with making a straight cut across to remove the rotten bit. Take the same height out from BOTH sides to make it look as if you intended it to be that way!

Before doing that and leaving your door with bloody big square holes either side of it, you'll have measured up the size of the frame and either gone down to B&Q for some wood of the same section or gone to a local builder's merchant, flashed your baby blues at them and got them to cut a piece to size for you. (Tight fitting t-shirt and mini-skirt will probably get them offering to come round and do the job for you at the weekend! An optional alternative.)

Without the rebate on, the frame will be just a rectangle. Hold the new wood against either the cut away frame or the bit you've just cut out and mark the new wood so that it will fit the hole when cut. Do this whether you've managed the 45o cut or not. Cut the new repair piece to size.

The best and easiest way to fix that repair piece (especially if you haven't angled it) is to glue it in place. If you have angled it then you still need to glue it, but will have the advantage of being able to screw through the frame into the repair piece to 'clamp' it in place until it's all set.

In this situation, you'll probably be best off using an expanding foam (because it will expand to fill any unevenness in the cut and fit), but go easy with it and wear rubber gloves to keep it off your hands because it goes black and won't come off for a few days, until you start to moult! It's a bit like squirty cream and comes in either a high or low expansion version. Use the low expansion type if you can, but the other type will be fine if you go easy because it'll go EVERYWHERE.

If you've cut the pieces square then measure carefully across the inside width of the doorway and cut a length of wood to this exact size - that's your spacer. Once you've 'glued' each side in place (having put the foam on the top surface where it meets the original frame, and on the side that goes against the brick) then drop this spacer into position to hold each piece in place until the foam adhesive goes off, which should be in about an hour, but before you leave it to its own devices, make sure it's hard to the touch, if it bends then leave it longer.

Trim the excess foam off, going just a fraction into the joint and sand it down. Put a smear of wood filler into that recess you made when you trimmed off the excess. Sand that when cured, again about an hour.

To replace the discarded rebate you'll have taken the discarded bit with you to the builder's merchants and got a couple of lengths of the same section, either off the shelf or cut to size for you. Hopefully, they won't have been mitred (cut at an angle) at the top, but either way you can either cut the angle to fit and THEN cut to length or just cut to length and nail in place.

Paint. Job done.

If that rebate is NOT planted on then just cut across to remove it along with the rotten section of frame, fix the new repair piece in place and then "plant on" the missing bit of rebate.

Thank User For This Post View members image gallery  
IP Logged

Fed up female
Reply #2 - Jul 19th, 2009, 10:44am

Gulp! Undecided

Thank User For This Post  
IP Logged

CWatters

"Daddy fick it" says James

Total Thanks: 58

Reply #3 - Jul 19th, 2009, 11:02am

Is it just on the outside? One possibility might be to insert identical blocks both sides. Leave them proud so they look like pillaster blocks.

IP Logged

Joiner
Trade Member

Ask The Trades

Total Thanks: 7

Bridgnorth, Shropshire, England
Bridgnorth, Shropshire
England

Trade: Joiner

Reply #4 - Jul 19th, 2009, 11:23am

I've done that a few times, Colin. It's a good idea because it hides a multitude of sins and actually adds a bit of class to an otherwise boring front foor.

And sorry Fuf, a bit wordy but it really needs a series of pictures to illustrate the sequence. The forum is actually getting around to that by adding to its "How to" section!

If you read it all again whilst sitting on the pavement looking at your door frame, it'll all come clear in your head. Honest.

...and then you'll be dragged away by men in white coats, called out by your anxious neighbours. Grin
« Last Edit: Jul 19th, 2009, 11:25am by Joiner »  
IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print