Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
Welcome To Ask The Trades!
Apr 25th, 2024, 9:48am
Quote: There are two kinds of pedestrians: the quick and the dead.

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Flickering electrics after rain. (Read 7389 times)
godf
GDPR opt-out

Flickering electrics after rain.
Nov 3rd, 2009, 11:40pm

Hi there.

We moved house last March, and noticed some lights occasionally flickering.  It seemed to clear up before we looked into it, so we forgot about it over the summer.  Now we're in November, we've noticed it starting again after a very rainy day.

It's the lights in several rooms (Kitchen, Sitting Room, Bathroom, Landing, and also certainly a plug in the sitting room - possibly more we've not noticed).

The house has what looks like a very old fuse box, but seeing as the flickering is happening in several rooms, does that mean the problem is likely to be occurring prior to the fuse box?

Is my electricity supplier therefore responsible for sorting this out? (I’m in the UK).  Presumably they’d want to avoid sending someone out, so is there any advice on what to say to them?  Is there anything I can do to check where the problem might be occurring?

Any other advice?

Thanks a lot.

IP Logged

big_all
Global Moderator
Trade Member
Author

heeelllooo

Total Thanks: 10
For This Post: 0

Trade: Joiner

Re: Flickering electrics after rain.
Reply #1 - Nov 4th, 2009, 1:13am

dosnt sound very healthy to me
if you are saying only certain sockets or lights are effected in you property then that suggests the faults within you house but no nessiserily

does anyone else suffer in your road when this happens to you!!!

its possible its in the supply system to your house and not all your houshold equipment is so sensative to voltage drop

but what ever happens i would get it looked at urgently

if it others in your road as well  [even around every 3rd house ] you can  should contact your supplier

if its onlyt you you should contact your electrician

big all ---------------  we are all still learning
Thank User For This Post View members image gallery  
IP Logged

godf
Reply #2 - Nov 4th, 2009, 4:45pm

It only seems to be lights that are affected, so we'd assumed that this meant lights were especially sensetive to energy dips.  Is this a sensible things to assume?  Or is it more likely that it just so happens the dodgy connections happen to have lights on them?

We did ask one neighbour about it when we moved it, and he had no problems.  I was really hoping I'd be able to palm this off on the electricty supplier, but sounds like we might have to look into it ourselves.  Thanks.  

Any other adive that might be of use?

Thank User For This Post  
IP Logged

CWatters

"Daddy fick it" says James

Total Thanks: 58

Reply #3 - Nov 5th, 2009, 7:40am

No not safe to assume it's just the lights effected - especially as you say one light plugged into a socket is effected.

Make sure your computer is backed up as power glitches can trash your hard drive.  Many computer UPS can monitor the mains voltage and keep a record.

Get an electrician in. Should be able to find a suspect joint. Does your CU/fuse box have RCD?
« Last Edit: Nov 5th, 2009, 7:41am by CWatters »  
IP Logged

big_all
Global Moderator
Trade Member
Author

heeelllooo

Total Thanks: 10

Trade: Joiner

Reply #4 - Nov 5th, 2009, 10:41am

Quote:
It only seems to be lights that are affected, so we'd assumed that this meant lights were especially sensetive to energy dips.  Is this a sensible things to assume?  Or is it more likely that it just so happens the dodgy connections happen to have lights on them?

We did ask one neighbour about it when we moved it, and he had no problems.  I was really hoping I'd be able to palm this off on the electricty supplier, but sounds like we might have to look into it ourselves.  Thanks.  

Any other adive that might be of use?

low energy light bulbs can be quite fussy with volt drops

i said to ask several people  if your on a 3 phase area every 3rd ish house will be on the same phase so if the problem is with only one phase 30% wont work/flicker

why not phone up your power distributor and ask if there has been any problems reported in your area

big all ---------------  we are all still learning
IP Logged

sparky415
Trade Member

Its more complicated than
I first thought

Total Thanks: 0

Trade: Electrician

Reply #5 - Nov 5th, 2009, 8:16pm

As suggested there might be a problem with the supply
but its more likely there's a loose connection within your house

I would say get a sparky in, he will be able to point you in the right direction

IP Logged

godf
Reply #6 - Nov 7th, 2009, 2:19am

Thanks for the advice.

We've not noticed any problem with PC, TV, or anything else (other than one evening last March when it seemed like we had a few brief powercuts, and so did our neighbour).  The lights are 100 watt bulbs, and the plugged in one was a halogen, with all dramatically flickering.  Strange it only seems to be lights.

Our fuse box does have an RCD.  It's an old fuse box, and all looks rather alien to me.

We're going to have a new kitchen put in after Christmas, and that will need some electrical work.  Seeing as we've only had flickering lights for one evening so far this year, we might try and delay getting someone in til then if it's going to be a big job to sort out.

Before then I'll give EDF, our power distributor a ring and see what they have to say.

Thank User For This Post  
IP Logged

londonman
Trade Member

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

Total Thanks: 13

Malvern, United Kingdom
Malvern
United Kingdom

Trade: Cabinet Maker

Reply #7 - Nov 7th, 2009, 10:18am

If it's only happened once this year then it's not spectacularly statistically relevant that it happens after rain!

Sounds more like a dodgy connection somewhere inside your house.

Would all Third Party Apologists kindly mind their own business .....
IP Logged

CWatters

"Daddy fick it" says James

Total Thanks: 58

Reply #8 - Nov 7th, 2009, 11:08am

Was it also windy? If you live in areas served by overhead lines like we do it's common to get flickering lights (brown outs).

IP Logged

godf
Reply #9 - Nov 7th, 2009, 3:53pm

@ CWatters:  It was really stormy.

I think our power comes from an underground connection though.

@londonman: The lights were flickering pretty often last spring (when it was last really wet), but we've only had it once since then.

We did have some internal damp, and the cupboard our fuse box is in smells damp, but we've had a damp proof course put in, so things should be drying out, and unaffected by any further rain.

Thank User For This Post  
IP Logged

sparky415
Trade Member

I first thought

Reply #10 - Nov 8th, 2009, 1:35pm

Godf

It could be any of the above suggestions, it is possible for an underground joint to be affected by water,

I would spend 40 or 50quid getting a sparky out to look over your fuse board and supply,

He would then tell you if there's a problem with your supply or there might be more that one problem,
(He might recommend a full test (PIR))

He could fix any lose connections in the fuse board/supply
(which is my guess at the min, but its only a guess)
before they get any worse and cause more damage!

Now might be a good time to find a sparky ready for your new kitchen work. Smiley

IP Logged

howlingdog
Reply #11 - Nov 8th, 2009, 8:11pm

Get a PIR done...now!  Well worth the money.  If it is a loose wire/poor connection then there is a read risk of fire.  In fact, get a PIR to make sure you can put a new kitchen/extra load on your system.

Regards

Rob

Thank User For This Post  
IP Logged

godf
Reply #12 - Nov 9th, 2009, 7:57pm

Well, we've just had flickering today when it's been dry, and not the day before when it rained.  It could be the moisture's soaking through somwhere, but I'd guess it makes it more likely the problem is with us.

We're going to be having a think about when we'd be able to put a kitchen in tomorrow, so we'll think about getting an electrician in then.  Any idea how much a PIR should cost?  (We're in Brighton).

Thanks.

Thank User For This Post  
IP Logged

sparky415
Trade Member

I first thought

Reply #13 - Nov 9th, 2009, 8:33pm

150ish quid

IP Logged

Frenchelectrician
Reply #14 - Nov 21st, 2009, 7:03am

I am leaning more likely bad underground cable if this cable is very old it a good chance get what we called " Dry rot " which the rubber or plastic coating get cracked over the time and the mositure get inside the cable and can cause interment short or arc over.

I know most area normally use copper conductor but if that have alum cable then it will really compound the issue with cable.

For now best answer is get a hold of your local Electrician to come out and check out the connections { joints } and if the house side is good then call EDF to check the supply side.

Merci.
Marc

Thank User For This Post  
IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print