Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
Welcome To Ask The Trades!
Mar 29th, 2024, 1:47am
Quote: Creativity is great, but plagiarism is faster.

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Appropriate paint finish for putty on window frame (Read 2609 times)
puttysick
GDPR opt-out

Appropriate paint finish for putty on window frame
Nov 6th, 2009, 4:53pm

As my user name implies, I have been trying for over 2 years to stop rainwater penetrating to the inside of my single glazed frames. The frames are 25 to 30 years old, and the putty on the outside was renewed
a number of times, most recently by my builder, whose workmanship I trust. I painted the hardened putty myself, and then my painter decorated them last year. The leaks have progressively got worse, to the extent that this post is my last hope before committing to window replacement. The paint applied has been good quality, with 2 undercoats and a gloss, but despite there being no visible means of water getting behind the paint/putty seal, we are now mopping well over 30 individual leaks in our georgian panes! Any suggestions please?

IP Logged

woodsmith
Global Moderator
Trade Member
Author

Total Thanks: 135
For This Post: 0

Trade: Joiner

Re: Appropriate paint finish for putty on window frame
Reply #1 - Nov 7th, 2009, 10:39am

Something is  wrong somewhere but without seeing it it is difficult to say for sure, but the external putty only provides a small part of the waterproofing. The glass should be bedded into putty which forms 99% of the waterproofing and it sounds like this is faulty. No need for new frames, just get someone to refit the glass.

Thank User For This Post View members image gallery  
IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print