Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
Welcome To Ask The Trades!
Apr 20th, 2024, 3:18pm
Quote: When everything is coming your way, you're in the wrong lane...

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
cracked tiles all over bathroom.marine ply or wedi (Read 4640 times)
Liz
GDPR opt-out

cracked tiles all over bathroom.marine ply or wedi
Nov 7th, 2009, 8:03pm

Clearly I am an ignorant woman and would really appreciate some advice as everyone tells me different things! Please help! Huh
We had an extension built a year ago. In the bathroom (approx 10m2 the builders laid the tiles on flexible adhesive on top of chipboard.
Unfortunately a huge amount of tiles have cracked, always in a line along every join in the chipboard.
Our builder says the cracks are due to settlement (and it is true there has been settlement) but other people tell me that the tiles must be laid on marine plywood not chipboard.
Now the builder tells me he will re-lay on Wedi board. Should I go for this or marine ply?

IP Logged

TIMBA-WOLF
Board Moderator

Timba-Wolf..... Var@*sh,
should be banned!!

Total Thanks: 15
For This Post: 0

KENT,(under a tree!!!!), United Kingdom
KENT,(under a tree!!!!)
United Kingdom

Trade: Joiner

Re: cracked tiles all over bathroom.marine ply or wedi
Reply #1 - Nov 7th, 2009, 8:47pm

Firstly welcome to the forum....ignorant NO! just un-or ill informed...

tiling direct on chip board is not a good idea, even with a flexible adhesive.....the chip board also needs to be checked that it is screwed down at enough points... ive seen some that had screws at 18" centres... about 6" cetres at least...

and secondly , the wedi board is good stuff, providing it is the no step stuff, here is a link for you!!

http://www.wedi.co.uk/nonstep.php

http://www.wedi.co.uk/nonstep.php

hope this helps

AS HONEST AND LOYAL AS THE TIMBER-WOLF. --VAR@*SH, DON'T YOU SWEAR AT ME!! PAL!!&&I DON'T SUFFER FROM INSANITY- I DAMNED WELL ENJOY IT!!!!!
Thank User For This Post View members image gallery  
IP Logged

CWatters

"Daddy fick it" says James

Total Thanks: 58
For This Post: 0

Re: cracked tiles all over bathroom.marine ply or wedi
Reply #2 - Nov 9th, 2009, 11:22am

Your builder/tiler should have known better. Perhaps he did? Were the tiles a last min change or was he told at the outset it was to be tiled? If the latter I'd consider asking him to come back to redo it properly. I doubt it's "settlement", more like it's the floor flexing very slightly as it's walked on.

Google "tiling a wood floor" will find lots of advice on how to prep a wood floor. The tile companies and the adhesive companies all give much the same advice. Must be rigid however you do it.  Generally they recommend 15mm plywood screwed at 150mm centers over existing floor boards or lift the floorboards/chipboard and replace with 25mm plywood onto the joists with extra noggins. Some recommend two layers of thinner ply with staggered joints.

I hear the BAL reps are good..

http://www.bal-adhesives.co.uk/technical/faq#q9

Thank User For This Post View members image gallery  
IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print