Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
Welcome To Ask The Trades!
Mar 28th, 2024, 6:21pm
Quote: If your car could travel at the speed of light, would your headlights work?

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Solid Oak - best treatment.care (Read 4307 times)
Brongo
GDPR opt-out

Solid Oak - best treatment.care
Feb 6th, 2010, 7:42am

Dear Gurus,

I am installing a new kitchen and my better half wants solid oak - worktops and flooring. The worktop is about 35mm thick and the flooring is pre-T&Gd 120mm. They are from the well-known trade supplier H**d*n. The worktop is going around a Belfast sink.

I am told that I can oil, or lacquer the surfaces and do not know which process will prove to be the best care for the worktops. Also. please note that our Labrador dog will be using the flooring (not the worktops, we hope).

What are the pros and cons of oil -v- lacquer?  Huh

ANY help would be most appreciated.

IP Logged

Sandy

Total Thanks: 0
For This Post: 0

Re: Solid Oak - best treatment.care
Reply #1 - Feb 6th, 2010, 4:04pm

For worktops, I think I'd rather go with an oiled finish to a worktop, although it may take more coats of oil to get to a good sealed finish.

Lacquer can sometimes take on a plastic look and possibly spoil the look of a really good run of timber. If it chips and flakes, I suppose small amounts could possibly end up in food. If you happen to chip/scratch the surface, you could end up having to sand/smooth back an area and then having to blend in new layers of lacquer, which would need to be good not to ruin the timber.

My own opinion is that oils are somewhat easier to use and apply, as long as you don't absolutely blather it all over the place so it goes all crusty (just remember to correctly dispose of used rags and cloths once they're finished with). They will almost certainly enhance the graining and colour of the timber. They will only give you a water-resistant finish rather than a water-proof finish. Any liquids must be wiped up straight away to avoid leaving marks. Doing most types of oiling can also really stink, so you might have to put up with the smell until it's dried out properly. To get a good covering I would say that you would need at least 6 coats of oiling and if the surfaces are used regularly, weekly for the first few weeks, then re-oiling every 3 or 4 months thereafter.

For either finish you need to be making sure you have separate chopping boards, pan stands, trivets, hot rods etc. so you don't damage the finish. You should also consider what metals might be around as steel from pan bottoms can very quickly stain oak black and be very hard to remove once ingrained.

I'm sure others on this forum might have differing opinions though. If you wait for a while, someone will probably be along shortly to give you some more info.
« Last Edit: Feb 6th, 2010, 4:05pm by Sandy »  
Thank User For This Post  
IP Logged

Felderman
Reply #2 - Feb 6th, 2010, 8:49pm

Brongo, have a look at Osmo products (they have a web site), they do a hard wax oil, excellent for floors and indoor furniture etc, Osmo PolyX it's called. Very hard wearing, easy to apply, but read the instructions regarding how to apply.
« Last Edit: Feb 6th, 2010, 8:50pm by felderman »  
Thank User For This Post  
IP Logged

Brongo
Reply #3 - Feb 10th, 2010, 6:20pm

Thanks Sandy & Felderman - my own research leans towards Oil as well, so that's the way I shall go.  Smiley
Many thanks for your kind assistance. Cool

Thank User For This Post  
IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print