Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
Welcome To Ask The Trades!
Apr 25th, 2024, 10:47pm
Quote: A clear conscience is usually the sign of a bad memory.

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Granite Worktops (Read 6762 times)
runninwata
GDPR opt-out

Granite Worktops
Feb 15th, 2010, 10:06pm

Hi Folks!
Am just about to put out to quoting the granite or Corian worksurfaces for our new kitchen,
My question to the experienced individuals is

are there any downsides having granite as opposed to corian as a worksurface.

look forward to any input, all opinions welcomed!

cheers

Steve

IP Logged

woodsmith
Global Moderator
Trade Member
Author

Total Thanks: 135
For This Post: 0

Trade: Joiner

Re: Granite Worktops
Reply #1 - Feb 16th, 2010, 7:54am

Granite is heavy, and I mean heavy Grin but if someone else is going to template and fit it it doesn't really matter to you.

Granite is not as bomb proof as some think, lighter colours stain, I got some samples and put a wet tea bag on each overnight, even some of the darker granites were marked and it was impossible to get the mark out.

Most of the cheaper granites will have large quartz particles in them and these come out over time leaving a pock-marked surface.

I fitted Indian supreme granite (I think I got the name right) in my kitchen. It is incredibly heavy and dense, with no noticeable quartz in the surface. It was the only granite that passed my tea bag test, and four years later it is still immaculate, but it cost me nearly £700 for a piece just big enough to cover the small island unit!

I've never used Corian, but it must be relatively easy to damage. I live in the back of beyond and even here there is a guy who makes a living out of just repairing corian worktops.
« Last Edit: Feb 16th, 2010, 7:54am by woodsmith »  
Thank User For This Post View members image gallery  
IP Logged

Zambezi
Reply #2 - Feb 16th, 2010, 8:54am

The last kitchen I did with "posh" worktops ended up with marble.
The quotes were all in the region of £10k from local companies, I ended up getting it delivered and installed by a Polish company for less than £2k.

I know that is not granite or Corian but the moral of the story is "it pays to shop around".

Thank User For This Post  
IP Logged

runninwata
Reply #3 - Feb 16th, 2010, 10:32am

Thanks Guys
How do you know what is a cheap granite as opposed to a good granite, is it all to do with the sparkle (quartz etc) or is there something else I can ask the installers.

I am looking at approx an L shape at 4.1m x 1.2m and an island around 1600 x 1200 with curved corners, first quote I had in was approx £1800-£2000 supplied and fitted I didnt have the exact sizes at the time of quote so this figure will change.

oh and I think the corian is a No go as swmbo is already dumping down hot pans on the scraps of worktops i have set down as temp surfaces

Is there a problem with putting hot pans onto granite without having any hot rods?

regards

Steve
« Last Edit: Feb 16th, 2010, 10:35am by runninwata »  
Thank User For This Post  
IP Logged

TIMBA-WOLF
Board Moderator

Timba-Wolf..... Var@*sh,
should be banned!!

Total Thanks: 15

KENT,(under a tree!!!!), United Kingdom
KENT,(under a tree!!!!)
United Kingdom

Reply #4 - Feb 16th, 2010, 8:36pm

one thing to look at in regards GRANITE IS POROSITY... no i am not being daft, WS has probably got a very low porosity granite , bit like Indian Juparana granite, 99% water proof!! and the more sparkles, the less likely it will last well... , some granites are hard , but do chip easy, others are "STONE" like and almost bullet/bomb proof:

we have recently been involved in a coloured CONCRETE worktop, fine "fatted" and powerfloated then highly polished... looks great.. but the owners were very funny and would not even allow the installer to photograph their own work.. she even stayed in the room with the dust flying everywhere to make sure no one took a pic or two!! stupid woman..

Corian on the other hand is a good durable surface, but again  need care and any splills mopped up (and wetted out immediately if a staining item)  but can be readily repaired if damaged...

stick to timber in my opinion!!!

but not varnishd.....

There i said the naughty word!!!  Angry Angry Angry

AS HONEST AND LOYAL AS THE TIMBER-WOLF. --VAR@*SH, DON'T YOU SWEAR AT ME!! PAL!!&&I DON'T SUFFER FROM INSANITY- I DAMNED WELL ENJOY IT!!!!!
IP Logged

woodsmith
Global Moderator
Trade Member
Author

Total Thanks: 135

Reply #5 - Feb 17th, 2010, 8:19am

The consensus is that you shouldn't put hot pans on granite worktops. I  personally think the danger is putting a hot pan down where the surface is already wet, but we don't risk it  and always use a trivet.

I think the granite Wolf mentioned is the one we have, it looks like black stone with no sign of any quartz particles, bombproof so far but expensive. We have oak worktops for most of the kitchen, with just the island in granite and this mix has worked well.

IP Logged

CWatters

"Daddy fick it" says James

Total Thanks: 58

Reply #6 - Feb 17th, 2010, 10:36am

We opted for granite work tops. The kitchen company recommended..

www.graniteplanet.co.uk

and they supplied a really nice bit of dark green granite (their Verde Bahia) with great figuring. Looks better than the sample image they they have on their site.

We've not had any problems but if you want a big sink consider a belfast type. If you put in a large regular sink in it leaves a thin strip of granite at the front and back that is a bit vunerable to any movement of the base units. Certainly I would never stand on a granite work top, particularly on that side.

IP Logged

londonman
Trade Member

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

Total Thanks: 13

Malvern, United Kingdom
Malvern
United Kingdom

Trade: Cabinet Maker

Reply #7 - Feb 17th, 2010, 4:24pm

I have to confess that I am a sucker for granite. Marble is far too porous IMO for a worktop and will take a stain as soon as look at it. We've put in granite into the last four places we did up..including our own...and never had any problems with stains or bits falling out.

We're also spoilt in that we can pop up to Brum and wander round the warehouse of the importer and actually choose the slab(s) we want. And the prices are reasonable as well.  Z...gawd knows where you went to for the £10k price.  Remind me to give you Vic R's telephone number when we next talk.  Great bloke.  Think Super Mario!
« Last Edit: Feb 17th, 2010, 4:25pm by londonman »  

Would all Third Party Apologists kindly mind their own business .....
IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print