Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
Welcome To Ask The Trades!
Mar 29th, 2024, 5:08am
Quote: There is no sense in being pessimistic. It probably wouldn't work anyway.

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
New Door (Read 2884 times)
Sandy

Total Thanks: 0
For This Post: 0

New Door
May 17th, 2010, 8:49pm

I've been asked if I'd think about having a look at "a quick job".

Someone I know is moving house and the new house has a cupboard under the stairs and needs a door making to close it all in. The door needs to match the rest of the panelling and be made from scratch by the sound of it.

Whilst I'm happy with making up a new door, I've never considered one that has a big triangle out of the top (in order for it to fit under the stairs). Again, I'm ok with the bottom and mid rails, but the top rail isn't as straight forward.

I think I've got 2 options: The first is what might be regarded as cheating and simply biscuit jointing the top rail, or alternatively, the traditional M&T joint.

Because of the diagonal angle of the top rail to the stiles, the top most joint will have very little material available to make a tenon. What option/s are there for the best joint for a fairly tight angle like this (whilst it is a cupboard under the stairs and will be used very infrequently, the owner is a woman and will think nothing of hanging every object known to man on either the handles, hooks and whatever other form of hanger that can be found, so needs to be a solid joint).

Thanks.

Alex.
« Last Edit: May 17th, 2010, 8:53pm by Sandy »  
Thank User For This Post  
IP Logged

londonman
Trade Member

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

Total Thanks: 13

Malvern, United Kingdom
Malvern
United Kingdom

Trade: Cabinet Maker

Re: New Door
Reply #1 - May 17th, 2010, 9:37pm

Loose tenon?

Biscuits?

Pocket screws ?

Would all Third Party Apologists kindly mind their own business .....
Thank User For This Post View members image gallery  
IP Logged

big_all
Global Moderator
Trade Member
Author

heeelllooo

Total Thanks: 10

Trade: Joiner

Re: New Door
Reply #2 - May 17th, 2010, 9:50pm

the first thing i would suggest is introduce a flat off at least 1ft  at the top
points on doors not only give a weak point  it means the back off the point needs to be removed assuming your hinging the longer edge

second why not make you door built up in layers from a 12mm mdf base with 6mm for the raised panel and 12mm for the frame that can be in sections to look like styles and rails or just cut out from one peice
if you want more depth off panels or door thickness use thicker mdf as required
« Last Edit: May 17th, 2010, 9:53pm by big_all »  

big all ---------------  we are all still learning
Thank User For This Post View members image gallery  
IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print