Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
Welcome To Ask The Trades!
Mar 29th, 2024, 2:35am
Quote: All those who believe in psycho kinesis, raise my hand.

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
build onto gararage (Read 2148 times)
barmac
GDPR opt-out

build onto gararage
Jul 4th, 2010, 1:31pm

I want to move a cloakroom from the house interior into the 1 metre alleyway between house and garage. New door into cloakroom from house. 1 wall of the extension will be the single brick wall of a double garage. does this wall effectively become part of the house and what has to be done to it in order to comply ?

IP Logged

CWatters

"Daddy fick it" says James

Total Thanks: 58
For This Post: 0

Re: build onto gararage
Reply #1 - Jul 4th, 2010, 6:26pm

First off best check if planning permission is required.  Normally an extension that size wouldn't need planning permission as it would come under permitted development rights..

http://www.planningportal.gov.uk/england/public/buildingwork/projects/workcommon...

However I think you may need PP as it joins the garage to the house. I'd check with the planners as the rules aren't 100% clear.

My thinking is this... If PP wasn't required then that would open up a loop hole that gets around the PDR rules on side extensions. For example someone could build a large outbuilding as big as their house (under PDR) and then join it to the house by building an extension (again under PDR). The result would be something twice as wide as the original house - something that is against the rules on side extensions.  

Thank User For This Post View members image gallery  
IP Logged

barmac
Reply #2 - Jul 17th, 2010, 10:20am

Thanks
Another option for me is to build a toilet/cloakroom in the part of the family room/study. Room 17ft long so have sufficient space without impacting on room use. However, can a cloakroom be built with door opening into habitable room? I beieve I will reqire sound proofing, extraction/window and hand basin, is this correct?

Thanks

Thank User For This Post  
IP Logged

CWatters

"Daddy fick it" says James

Total Thanks: 58
For This Post: 0

Reply #3 - Jul 17th, 2010, 9:03pm

The regs allow a WC to open into a kitchen provided there is a washbasin in the WC - so opening into another habitable room should be ok.

Not sure about aditional sound proofing for a cloakroom. Yes it needs an extractor.

Thank User For This Post View members image gallery  
IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print